Strength of Schedule

• 117 replies
Re: Strength of Schedule
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »

And don't give me this whole, "Yeah but we have too many cupcakes...." Duke plays Stetson, Army, Hartford, Yale, Eastern Michigan and a terrible Sand Diego State team that lost by 30 to Iowa State. Everyone has their own cupcakes and plenty of them.

This....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:41 PM »
I've tried multiple times to move on from the schedule talk and it appeared that we had until the guy who runs this site started this all up again with this thread. I guess we know his motivations for that.

My motivations are to have a fun place to discuss St. John's hoops. This isn't my day job. I was having a debate with Zach B of NY Post on twitter and Steve Politi of NJ Star Ledger also hopped in. I think it's a BS narrative they are pushing. This team is good and taking away from their accomplishments due to who they are playing doesn't sit well with me. 

- At the time, Marillac and Dave said Bowling Green was a good team and is not a cupcake. LOL.

Alright, that's it. I promise I'm done.

I was impressed with Bowling Green. I've known Coach Huger for a long time and see him on the recruiting trail. I can see a lot of what he brought to Miami when he was an assistant there on that roster. I think they are a program on the rise. I'm not well versed in MAC hoops but I wouldn't be shocked if they do better than predicted. That was a challenging early season test, a test we've unfortunately failed a few times over the past decade.

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
My motivations are to have a fun place to discuss St. John's hoops. This isn't my day job. I was having a debate with Zach B of NY Post on twitter and Steve Politi of NJ Star Ledger also hopped in. I think it's a BS narrative they are pushing. This team is good and taking away from their accomplishments due to who they are playing doesn't sit well with me. 

I was impressed with Bowling Green. I've known Coach Huger for a long time and see him on the recruiting trail. I can see a lot of what he brought to Miami when he was an assistant there on that roster. I think they are a program on the rise. I'm not well versed in MAC hoops but I wouldn't be shocked if they do better than predicted. That was a challenging early season test, a test we've unfortunately failed a few times over the past decade.

I also was impressed with Bowling Green. I don't know much about Huger other than being a NYC guy, but his program is going in the right direction. That team clearly knows what it's supposed to do. When he gets players, they'll be tough to beat.

On another note, I apologize if the back and forth is so negative. I've been a fan of this team since I was 9 and I have no affiliation with the school other than my loyalty to the team. I get bothered by all the negativity. The kids and the program should be supported by the ones who claim to be their biggest fans.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 09:39:49 PM »
This....
Of our first 7 games we had no say in 4...

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
Of our first 7 games we had no say in 4...

Of our first 7 games we won 4 luckily by the skin of our teeth.  We couldn't have handled anything tougher.  The schedule is brilliant. We probably garnish some votes tomorrow.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »
Two points for the impossibly annoying Goredmen:

(1) Having never see Bowling Green before, they looked good and a tougher matchup game #2 than I would have scheduled. Different story game 8-12. But you think all teams progress at the same rate so it's pointless debating that with you. That SG could start for most Big East teams and I think they'll win 20 games. Maybe they won't? I've watched them play for 40 mins in my entire life.

(2) Nobody wants to play us at home? Do you f*cking get that? I would NEVER schedule St. John's on the road this year if I was an opposing coach of a top 25 team. We can't go and play three road games (on top of 3 neutral court games against high majors). That's insane with a nasty Big East schedule...and no high major plays three road games in the OOC. I would have loved a Kentucky home game, but I'm not willing to risk a loss with a third road game.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
I'll be the first person to tell you I was wrong if our schedule keeps us out of the tournament. I am supremely confident it won't, though. Only a lack of wins will do that.

I'm hopeful for this season but I'm nervous about conference play. There isn't one weak team in the conference this year. Every other conference has a few teams to beat up on. The Big East will be a dog fight every night and it's so hard to sweep teams.

Wods317

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »
Winning takes care of everything. As the previous poster said their the big east has zero cupcakes this year. We may not have top 10 teams but every game is going be a against a quality opponent. The SOS will take care of itself in league, just win.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:36:11 AM by Wods317 »

DFF6

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »
I'll be the first person to tell you I was wrong if our schedule keeps us out of the tournament. I am supremely confident it won't, though. Only a lack of wins will do that.

I'm hopeful for this season but I'm nervous about conference play. There isn't one weak team in the conference this year. Every other conference has a few teams to beat up on. The Big East will be a dog fight every night and it's so hard to sweep teams.

I agree that we don't have cupcakes in the conference, but we don't have the usual 3-5 ranked teams to play in conference this year either.  Nova is barely in the top 25.  Of course, this might change as the season rolls on, but if it doesn't, splitting most of our conference games might keep us on the wrong side of the bubble. Winning fixes everything, but our margin for error could be very thin. 

Wods317

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
I agree that we don't have cupcakes in the conference, but we don't have the usual 3-5 ranked teams to play in conference this year either.  Nova is barely in the top 25.  Of course, this might change as the season rolls on, but if it doesn't, splitting most of our conference games might keep us on the wrong side of the bubble. Winning fixes everything, but our margin for error could be very thin. 

According to rpi there’s only one big east team over 100 and that’s Xavier. There will be opportunities for resume building wins every night in league play. Just win!

goredmen

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »

Nobody wants to play us at home? Do you f*cking get that?

This is another of many ridiculous statements you've made, especially considering we could have had Kentucky at MSG but SHU got it instead. Other teams have no problems finding one or 2 good home games but we can't get one? Teams love coming to NYC because they recruit here.

That's almost as dumb as your "is it possible we have NBA analytics guy doing our schedule" take

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
This is another of many ridiculous statements you've made, especially considering we could have had Kentucky at MSG but SHU got it instead. Other teams have no problems finding one or 2 good home games but we can't get one? Teams love coming to NYC because they recruit here.

That's almost as dumb as your "is it possible we have NBA analytics guy doing our schedule" take

You're clueless if you think teams want to play us in MSG with Ponds as a junior. UK fell through...who knows why. Do you know how hard it is to get a blue blood to play on the road? Most play one true road game a season if that.

Here is all that matters:  we could not risk playing a third road game against a high major and we couldn't talk anyone into playing us in the Garden. So your constant whining is pointless.

goredmen

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »
You're clueless if you think teams want to play us in MSG with Ponds as a junior. UK fell through...who knows why. Do you know how hard it is to get a blue blood to play on the road? Most play one true road game a season if that.

Here is all that matters:  we could not risk playing a third road game against a high major and we couldn't talk anyone into playing us in the Garden. So your constant whining is pointless.

We had the chance to play a blue blood at home but didn’t close the deal. That’s a fact.

High majors lol. Cal is going to be underdogs at home against San Francisco in their next game. But I guess since Cal plays in the Pac12 it will be a Q1 win for us. FOH

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
Your guys are making this board unreadable... We are 7-0 right now and thats all that matters. Idc who we play where we play them we are winning the games we need to win and everything else will all sort itself out come March.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
Your guys are making this board unreadable... We are 7-0 right now and thats all that matters. Idc who we play where we play them we are winning the games we need to win and everything else will all sort itself out come March.

I agree on all counts. I'm out of this discussion until March.

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »
I'll be at the game Wednesday with two of my boys and I think we're getting in free!! Woooooo

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
We had the chance to play a blue blood at home but didn’t close the deal. That’s a fact.

High majors lol. Cal is going to be underdogs at home against San Francisco in their next game. But I guess since Cal plays in the Pac12 it will be a Q1 win for us. FOH

So what would you rather have? 7-0 record or the opportunity to have played a blue blood within first 7 games?

The team is progressing really well and fortunate to be undefeated with Keita being out. Remember when we lost Lovett last year? It literally ruined the season because we weren't equipped to handle such a tough stretch of the schedule without a key contributor. If our schedule was any harder we'd maybe be 4-3 right now.

I think the committee would favor 7-0 with top 150 schedule vs 4-3 record with top 50 schedule.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »

I hear you. I somewhat agree with you but fair to discuss and this is why we have different threads as some don't wish to participate and/or read them.

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
I just don't understand the negativity. We're winning. The most important thing this team needed to do was learn how to win, because clearly they didn't know how. I understand the schedule isn't the best, and it might hurt us. The team itself definitely has lots of room for improvement, I think we all agree on that. But we're finding ways to win close games. That's a valuable trait to have.

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
I agree Dave and mean no disrespect to you or anyone on the board this topic was just going on and on. You would think we are 0-7 and not 7-0! Lets enjoy this and take care of business. Already looking forward to Princeton game where i will be in attendance as well as 12/29 game at Seton Hall.....Also on a side note i purchased the red storm flex pass and was able to get 4 tickets to 5 games ( Nova, Seton Hall, Gtown, Prov and Depaul) was able to get all 100 level seating for the Gtown, Hall and prov games. The deal was GREAT!!