Strength of Schedule

• 117 replies

Poison

Re: Strength of Schedule
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
Let's hope they use this time to really play together, and to incorporate the freshman into the rotation.

We should be up by enough points in these next 5 games that Roberts, Earlington and Williams can be given time to get their feet wet.

We can't play a BE season again as undermanned as we were. There's no margin for injury, and we know every year, guys get hurt. Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, because of course it does, but we consistently have guys go down and we don't have a plan b.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:21:48 PM by Poison »

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
IDK I don't think Roberts is ready to play based off how he looked against MES. Williams looked a little nervous but he looked like he belonged.

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:09 AM »
The way I see it there are two issues related to how good or bad our out of conference schedule was this season.

1) Did the early season schedule adequately prepare us for conference play?
Asked and answered. 3 and 0. Couldn't be off to a better start.

2) Will the perceived weakness of the out of conference schedule result in poor seeding in the Ncaa tournament or keep us out of the dance altogether?
Remains to be seen. Altough, I fully expect us to miss the tournament by the cruelest, narrowest of margins with the clock gate game being the reason why, the ball is clearly in our court and we're positioned for a memorable campaign if we take care of business.

Early returns, while incomplete, indicate scheduling brilliance by our staff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:04:00 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 01:41:17 AM »
The way I see it there are two issues related to how good or bad our out of conference schedule was this season.

Asked and answered. 3 and 0. Couldn't be off to a better start.

2) Will the perceived weakness of the out of conference schedule result in poor seeding in the Ncaa tournament or keep us out of the dance altogether?
Remains to be seen. Altough, I fully expect us to miss the tournament by the crueluest, narrowest of margins with the clock gate game being the reason why, the ball is clearly in our court and we're positioned for a memorable campaign if we take care of business.

Early returns, while incomplete, indicate scheduling brilliance by our staff.

GoRedmen in 3,2,1....

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
GoRedmen in 3,2,1....

My point always has been and remains that the weakness of the OOC will hurt us pretty much regardless of how we do in the conference. Seeing how we're 14-1 and essentially 15-0 and not-ranked or barely ranked shows that the overwhelming consensus is that our OOC was too weak and produced zero good wins. Generally, a 14-1 or 15-0 BE team would be ranked in the top 10 at worst if their OOC was anything other than completely awful.

If you want to say that playing a weak schedule was to our benefit, that's fine. I disagree with that but at least that stance is speculative and not ignoring facts and data. I don't think that we couldn't beat Kentucky at MSG while Seton Hall could and that we couldn't beat other decent teams.

From Carmine's questions:

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Perhaps if we had played better teams earlier on we wouldn't have blown a double digit lead to get put in the position to let a ref steal a game from us. Maybe we would be 1-2 instead. Who knows.

I don't think it will keep us out by any stretch, but it will drop us a couple seed lines from where we should end up. Again, this is evidenced by the fact that we are barely ranked in top 25s despite being 14-1*.

So while I don't agree with Carmine's position here I don't take too much of an issue with it because he's not trying to claim that the schedule wasn't weak as you have done several times. Although I sense that you yourself know the schedule was weak and you have been trying to convince yourself otherwise ever since.

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
The problem is this is a down year for the BE. Since our OOC was considered soft we will not get the benefit of doubt even if we should finish 11-7. This makes the Puke game all the more important when perception is a concern.

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
My point always has been and remains that the weakness of the OOC will hurt us pretty much regardless of how we do in the conference. Seeing how we're 14-1 and essentially 15-0 and not-ranked or barely ranked shows that the overwhelming consensus is that our OOC was too weak and produced zero good wins. Generally, a 14-1 or 15-0 BE team would be ranked in the top 10 at worst if their OOC was anything other than completely awful.

If you want to say that playing a weak schedule was to our benefit, that's fine. I disagree with that but at least that stance is speculative and not ignoring facts and data. I don't think that we couldn't beat Kentucky at MSG while Seton Hall could and that we couldn't beat other decent teams.

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Perhaps if we had played better teams earlier on we wouldn't have blown a double digit lead to get put in the position to let a ref steal a game from us. Maybe we would be 1-2 instead. Who knows.

I don't think it will keep us out by any stretch, but it will drop us a couple seed lines from where we should end up. Again, this is evidenced by the fact that we are barely ranked in top 25s despite being 14-1*.

So while I don't agree with Carmine's position here I don't take too much of an issue with it because he's not trying to claim that the schedule wasn't weak as you have done several times. Although I sense that you yourself know the schedule was weak and you have been trying to convince yourself otherwise ever since.

I think the thing you fail to see is that the schedule isn't always about preparing a team for anyone in particular (another team, a conference schedule, a tournament seed). It is often the case that the schedule is just for the team. Just for these kids to learn how to win games. To pass the ball to each other with positive results. To see what it feels like to play two good halves and win a game. The downside of a ultra competitive schedule would be far more harmful than the upside of the one we had this year. You put too much focus on what other people think of our schedule. Who gives a shit? Those people who rank us or write about us or blog about us don't really care about us. This schedule was for us, not them. And please don't bring up some Bracketology stuff....can we get in the tournament first??

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:44 PM »
I think the schedule has been a thing of beauty.  We have been tested and prepared in many ways. We've had all we can handle from team like VCU, Gtown, and SH. We've learned to learned to maintain composure and win close games.

We've matched up against tough bigs like Govan and the kid from BG. We've matched up with elite scorers like Powell and Howard.  We've seen plenty of zone, played deliberate teams like Princeton, defensive-minded pressing teams like SH and VCU, etc. 

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

15 games into the season and VCU is a quad 1 win.  You said that was impossible when I wrote we needed someone other than Duke to be a quad 1 game.  Do you still feel that way? 

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
15 games into the season and VCU is a quad 1 win.  You said that was impossible when I wrote we needed someone other than Duke to be a quad 1 game.  Do you still feel that way? 

Yes VCU has played far better than I had expected and that anybody expected really. However it is still 15 games into the season and they are the Q1 borderline. I don't think they will end up as a Q1 win but I hope that they do.

That doesn't change the fact that our OOC schedule is extremely weak by all measures and metrics

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
Yes VCU has played far better than I had expected and that anybody expected really. However it is still 15 games into the season and they are the Q1 borderline. I don't think they will end up as a Q1 win but I hope that they do.

That doesn't change the fact that our OOC schedule is extremely weak by all measures and metrics

Wow. I'm blown away by you actually being reasonable in this topic. Good on you.

goredmen

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
Wow. I'm blown away by you actually being reasonable in this topic. Good on you.

I'm not the one that has been ignoring straight facts on this since day 1

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
I am in the camp that believes that

1) The Non conference was WEAK
but
2) The team is BETTER because of the ability to win games, gain confidence and learn one another.

This team doesn't show any fear - which is remarkable for a team that lost 11 straight games last year. The non-conf allowed us to see and feel wins, learn how to win. Now this team goes out every night and EXPECTS to win. By that accord I would call the non-conference a smashing success.

I'm with Marillac in that I see us obliterating Nova tonight - I'm expecting a 10+ point win where the game is never really in doubt.

goredmen

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
I am in the camp that believes that

1) The Non conference was WEAK
but
2) The team is BETTER because of the ability to win games, gain confidence and learn one another.

This is a fine way to look at it. I don't agree with 2 as I think we could have beat better teams but it's a fair thought.

The problem I have is with those, specifically one poster, that refuses to acknowledge that number 1 is a stone cold fact

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
Now that we are 14-1, who cares?  Win 9 more games any which we and we are in.  Beat Nova and Depaul this week and all of this is ancient history.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:03 PM »
Our schedule is so weak that all experts have us in with five games + the Big East tournament remaining. They really taught us a lesson!

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:29 PM »
Our schedule is so weak that all experts have us in with five games + the Big East tournament remaining. They really taught us a lesson!
yes they have us in right now but that includes barring a total collapse. If we lose last 5 and first round in BET we aren't going so we haven't clinched yet. Hopefully we win 4-5 more games in total and minimumly and get a decent seed.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »
yes they have us in right now but that includes barring a total collapse. If we lose last 5 and first round in BET we aren't going so we haven't clinched yet. Hopefully we win 4-5 more games in total and minimumly and get a decent seed.

We have to win one of our next six games. There were posters saying we needed 24 wins to make it because of our OOC schedule.

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 05:51:28 AM »
We have to win one of our next six games. There were posters saying we needed 24 wins to make it because of our OOC schedule.

24 maybe without beating Marq and Nova

LoganK

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2019, 06:02:04 AM »
Who said 24 wins?