Early Thoughts: Team and Individual Stats

• 28 replies

QuanMan

Early Thoughts: Team and Individual Stats
« on: December 02, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2599

Please share your thoughts on the team and individual stats, standout numbers, things the team is doing well, areas to improve. Post below.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:25:40 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Re: Early Thoughts: Team and Individual Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
-Scoring efficiency from our lead guys
- sharing of distributing responsibilities
- gang rebounding
- not turning it over
- creating turnovers
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
Just to annoy everyone further...offensive rebounding!

Down 16...4 of the next 5 possessions kept alive by big boy offensive rebounding. Points off all of them, 3 fouls on GT, and broke their will.

When I saw a shot go up and Justin Simon running to the hoop with it, I almost teared up. He JUST missed a one-handed slam, then got his rebound and put it in for the and 1.

Heron is coming alive in the offensive glass and Figgy has it in his DNA. Nobody can keep us off the glass. Nobody.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:16:49 PM by Marillac »

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »
Some immediate trends-

--We're averaging just 2bpg as a team, it's not our identity, but have to get more blocks as they lead to easy transition buckets.

--9 steals a game is healthy, lead by the stellar Shamorie at 2.7spg. Justin averaged 2.5 steals last year, rn he's just at 1.6, hopefully yesterday was a precursor to his improved play.

--45% from the field is good but the 74.5% at the line has to be improved.

Individually:

--Shamorie is stellar, his 4 point game early this week still has him at 22.4ppg. 36% from 3 is improved but still can go up which is scary for other teams.

--Very pleased with the play of both newcomers, LJF and MH, they both have strong stat lines. We're getting roughly 32/13/5/2 combined from them, and they're still adjusting, LOVE IT.

--Mikey's 7ppg is encouraging to see, he's making up for Bryan's limitations early.

--Justin played terrific yesterday, and Marv is exhausting himself every night down in the paint, but both have to get their numbers and efficiency up to make up for times when the offense can't go through Sham, MH or LJF.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:37:33 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
Areas to improve:

-Ball movement
-Guys moving off the ball/cutting towards the hoop
-Closing out on perimeter/3pt shooters
-Clark needs to use his strength to drive and draw fouls. Become another scoring option.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
Some immediate trends-

--We're averaging just 2bpg as a team, it's not our identity, but have to get more blocks as they lead to easy transition buckets.

--9 steals a game is healthy, lead by the stellar Shamorie at 2.7spg. Justin averaged 2.5 steals last year, rn he's just at 1.6, hopefully yesterday was a precursor to his improved play.

--45% from the field is good but the 74.5% at the line has to be improved.

Individually:

--Shamorie is stellar, his 4 point game early this week still has him at 22.4ppg. 36% from 3 is improved but still can go up which is scary for other teams.

--Very pleased with the play of both newcomers, LJF and MH, they both have strong stat lines. We're getting roughly 32/13/5/2 combined from them, and they're still adjusting, LOVE IT.

--Mikey's 7ppg is encouraging to see, he's making up for Bryan's limitations early.

--Justin played terrific yesterday, and Marv is exhausting himself every night down in the paint, but both have to get their numbers and efficiency up to make up for times when the offense can't go through Sham, MH or LJF.

After Obekpa, Yakwe, and Owens I'm fine if we never block a shot again. I think it's the most overrated stat in basketball. I'd rather have position and our guards not have that luxury of thinking they have someone waiting.

Literally every rebound is a chance to get into secondary transition with this group. Everyone can pass and handle enough to start a break.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
Everything is more or less as it should be except Marvin Clark has been horrible. He's fouled out of three straight games and is shooting 30 percent from the floor and 27 from three. On the bright side fouling out means he can't turn it over, which if he played more minutes he'd lead the team. Maybe he's pressing a bit hoping to have a big senior year or maybe playing center is messing with his head but if so hopefully he gets it out of his ass sooner rather than later.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:15 PM »
After Obekpa, Yakwe, and Owens I'm fine if we never block a shot again. I think it's the most overrated stat in basketball. I'd rather have position and our guards not have that luxury of thinking they have someone waiting.

Literally every rebound is a chance to get into secondary transition with this group. Everyone can pass and handle enough to start a break.

You’re right regarding Obekpa. He committed to the block and when he didn’t get it, he gave them an easy basket.

Yakwe has hands of stone and terrible instincts.

Owens is different because he can pass the ball, and usually looked to. He’s the guy we’re missing from last year’s roster. Clark can’t guard anyone big or small. He doesn’t go for the block. He just goes straight for the foul.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:24:33 PM »
One interesting stat I’d like to see:

3% returning players vs newcomers

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
You’re right regarding Obekpa. He committed to the block and when he didn’t get it, he gave them an easy basket.

Yakwe has hands of stone and terrible instincts.

Owens is different because he can pass the ball, and usually looked to. He’s the guy we’re missing from last year’s roster. Clark can’t guard anyone big or small. He doesn’t go for the block. He just goes straight for the foul.

Clark does a good job on bigs and Simon and especially Heron do great work. Clark's problem is that he overplays guards and wings and picks up stupid fouls. He needs to reel it in an just try to keep them honest. He'll get it going.

We need to give up this illusion that Owens was a good big man. He was backed down night after night and we were outrebounded almost every game. On offense he was awful...too skinny to set good screens, didn't rebound well, and had no back-to-the-basket game. He averaged 1.6 offensive rebounds for us:  Simon, Heron, and Figueroa all average more this year and provide more offense.

The big man we need is someone who can body up and push opposing bigs out of the lane and then rebound and set screens like a mad man. That could be Keita at 6'9 240...it wasn't Owens at 6'10 205.

I live the identity this team is taking. Max effort on the glass and defense...faster rotations and help...and push with each rebound.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »
Clark does a good job on bigs and Simon and especially Heron do great work. Clark's problem is that he overplays guards and wings and picks up stupid fouls. He needs to reel it in an just try to keep them honest. He'll get it going.

We need to give up this illusion that Owens was a good big man. He was backed down night after night and we were outrebounded almost every game. On offense he was awful...too skinny to set good screens, didn't rebound well, and had no back-to-the-basket game. He averaged 1.6 offensive rebounds for us:  Simon, Heron, and Figueroa all average more this year and provide more offense.

The big man we need is someone who can body up and push opposing bigs out of the lane and then rebound and set screens like a mad man. That could be Keita at 6'9 240...it wasn't Owens at 6'10 205.

I live the identity this team is taking. Max effort on the glass and defense...faster rotations and help...and push with each rebound.

I think you’re forgetting that the team had less talent last year and that Owens was the only guy who could play center. He’s too skinny, and he had a limited offensive game.

That said, consider this: Owens vs Clark. Neither are complete players, but Owens is a much smarter player.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »
I think you’re forgetting that the team had less talent last year and that Owens was the only guy who could play center. He’s too skinny, and he had a limited offensive game.

That said, consider this: Owens vs Clark. Neither are complete players, but Owens is a much smarter player.

The only thing I care about is one player is still with us and the other isn’t. Cry all you want, that’s not going to change.

redslope

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
Is it possible that part of the decline in Clark's numbers is due to his playing out of position as he has been our "center" where last year Owens played 30 minutes a game.  His 2017/18 numbers were FG-46% and 3's-41% versus  current year of 30% and 28%. 

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:32:24 PM »

The talent was lower last year for sure, but Owens had Clark, Simon, and AA to help down low. Clark played PF and C exclusively for two good Michigan State teams.

I don't think I agree Owens was a smarter player. He took loads of dumb shots paying no mind to the score/situation and he was foul prone himself.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:55 PM »
Is it possible that part of the decline in Clark's numbers is due to his playing out of position as he has been our "center" where last year Owens played 30 minutes a game.  His 2017/18 numbers were FG-46% and 3's-41% versus  current year of 30% and 28%. 

That seems to be the prevailing theory on our forums. I'm not sure I buy it. We switch everything 1-5 most of the time so he gets to defend plenty of guards and wings.

I think he came into this season expecting to show more of his perimeter game. He got pretty good at driving the ball at the end of last season, but Figueroa and Heron are better options there and now he needs to find his place--which I think he will in time. I'd like to see him get involved more in some pick-and-pop and pick-and-roll. And of course he's got that great set shot.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 11:46:10 PM »
Doing well: Winning

To Improve: Get Keita healthy. We need some size.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
The talent was lower last year for sure, but Owens had Clark, Simon, and AA to help down low. Clark played PF and C exclusively for two good Michigan State teams.

I don't think I agree Owens was a smarter player. He took loads of dumb shots paying no mind to the score/situation and he was foul prone himself.

Marillac, come on. Did you just say that Owens had AA? AA is probably the worst 4 year player in program history.

Clark thinks he’s a 2 guard. The problem is that he’s right. Simon ran point and hung out on the perimeter for most of last season. He wasn’t providing the help inside that he could have, and that he is now.

QuanMan

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 12:41:19 AM »

We're 283/351 in BPG, granted we're out of position and undersized for 2-3 more weeks until Keita gets back. But if you don't think that we need to improve shots blocked we're at loggerheads.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »
We're 283/351 in BPG, granted we're out of position and undersized for 2-3 more weeks until Keita gets back. But if you don't think that we need to improve shots blocked we're at loggerheads.

We were top ten in blocks per game last year and 4th the year prior. Where did that get us? It's an overrated stat IMO. Kids fall in love with the block and then they give up layups and positioning.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:14:30 AM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 01:20:23 AM »
Marillac, come on. Did you just say that Owens had AA? AA is probably the worst 4 year player in program history.

Clark thinks he’s a 2 guard. The problem is that he’s right. Simon ran point and hung out on the perimeter for most of last season. He wasn’t providing the help inside that he could have, and that he is now.

Clark is not a two or even close to a three. He's a college 4 and 5 that can shoot. Was Pittsnoogle a SG to you as well?

He was recruited by Izzo to continue in the lineage of Draymond Green and Branden Dawson as undersized versatile big men.

These kids need to understand that there is a need for 6'5-6'8 scrapers in the NBA and stop obsessing over improving their handle and perimeter skills.