Game 13: Seton Hall

• 356 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 13: Seton Hall
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 08:10:12 PM »
I thought their takes on STJ were pretty fair, some guys came in and corrected the badmouthing.

Proud to see our own TonyD3 badmouthing our team on an opponents forum.

Of all the people to represent us.🤢

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »
I think we’ve seen so far that opposing bigs aren’t much of a problem given the speed and spacing on offense. Haven’t played any top notch big men yet and of course would like keita back but I think playing the same way as the past 12 games should neutralize most centers.

But If Clark gets into foul trouble it’s a whole different game 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 10:40:18 PM »
Why don't they open portions of the upper bowl to get more people in?  Why limit attendance?

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:08 PM »
We need Marvin Clark to not get his 2nd foul until there is less than 8 min left in the first half. Seriously that's the key to the game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
Myles Powell has really improved each and every year. I was/am really hopeful that Greg Williams was going to take a similar path in terms of not really much expected or needed out of him freshman year but high floor player who can develop.

Back to Powell I'm not sure what the play is here. Do you let him get his and contain the other pieces? Or do you focus on shutting him down? I'm really torn there.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »
We need Marvin Clark to not get his 2nd foul until there is less than 8 min left in the first half. Seriously that's the key to the game.

If he gets a foul before first media timeout I think you sit him for a bit until under 8 mins.

I also hope team has been practicing zone. Will need it to help avoid foul trouble.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
Myles Powell has really improved each and every year. I was/am really hopeful that Greg Williams was going to take a similar path in terms of not really much expected or needed out of him freshman year but high floor player who can develop.

Back to Powell I'm not sure what the play is here. Do you let him get his and contain the other pieces? Or do you focus on shutting him down? I'm really torn there.

In SHU's 3 least efficient games which is the 3 games they lost, Powell's lines were:

24 points on 7-21 (1-9 from 3) and 9-9 FT line
16 points on 4-13 (2-6 from 3) and 6-7 FT line
23 points on 6-19 (2-12 from 3) and 9-11 FT line

So he still go his in the losses but combined to shoot 5-27 from 3 in those games. So make sure his 3's are extremely contested and make him put it on the floor. He'll still get to the line though, so hope he doesn't get out important guys in foul trouble.

Will be interesting to see how they choose to defend him. If whoever is guarding him helps off him for any reason and he's getting open looks at 3 then this is going to be a long, long BE season

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I think I have to go to this thing.

Anybody have two tickets to sell me?

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »
Purchased 5 tix thru SJ athletic office. Section 4.

Have seen better tix on Stubhub but wanted to sit with Johnnies fans.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »

Seton Hall is better than Georgia Tech, but I think the two teams are comparable.

We were able to beat Tech because Heron played defense. He boxed out, rebounded and limited their scoring inside.

Clark either can’t do that, or doesn’t want to do that. IMO, they need to get him out of that position. I don’t know where he’ll defend well, but it’s something Seton Hall should look to exploit.

As far as Powell, he’s gonna get his because we need our best defenders (Heron and Simon) to make up for Clark’s short comings. Trimble will play hard, but he’s going to be in foul trouble covering a guy like Powell. I’m hoping he can get us a few stops before fouling out. The guy has a thankless job.

QuanMan

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
Going to be a special night, can't wait:

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
 13h13 hours ago
More
Seton Hall's Big East opener on Saturday night against St. John's is sold out, per release. #SJUBB #shbb

Adam Zagoria

Verified account

@AdamZagoria
Following Following @AdamZagoria
More
Scouts from six NBA teams are expected Saturday for @StJohnsBBall - @SetonHallMBB :

Nets, Cavs, Wizards, Grizzlies, Spurs, Kings
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:19:13 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
But If Clark gets into foul trouble it’s a whole different game 
In 99, with little depth and size Jarvis played zone at times. The zone wasn’t great but it slowed the game down. Most coaches would play like that.
Saturday I expect mullin to do the opposite. Clarke will be guarding their biggest post player. Nothing will be done to mitigate fouls. It will be left up to fate. Tempo will be crazy fast.
If we shoot like Rutgers and stay out of foul trouble we will win going away. That is certainly possible. Is that level of play sustainable?

hnk

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
Tony, time you started trusting the process. They've all earned that!

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
In 99, with little depth and size Jarvis played zone at times. The zone wasn’t great but it slowed the game down. Most coaches would play like that.
Saturday I expect mullin to do the opposite. Clarke will be guarding their biggest post player. Nothing will be done to mitigate fouls. It will be left up to fate. Tempo will be crazy fast.
If we shoot like Rutgers and stay out of foul trouble we will win going away. That is certainly possible. Is that level of play sustainable?

Are you saying we haven’t played zone this year?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
Seton Hall is better than Georgia Tech, but I think the two teams are comparable.

We were able to beat Tech because Heron played defense. He boxed out, rebounded and limited their scoring inside.

Clark either can’t do that, or doesn’t want to do that. IMO, they need to get him out of that position. I don’t know where he’ll defend well, but it’s something Seton Hall should look to exploit.

As far as Powell, he’s gonna get his because we need our best defenders (Heron and Simon) to make up for Clark’s short comings. Trimble will play hard, but he’s going to be in foul trouble covering a guy like Powell. I’m hoping he can get us a few stops before fouling out. The guy has a thankless job.

Clark’s game is what it is, can’t focus on the defensive end, just not foul. He needs to let his presence be known on the offensive end. I would like to see him take 7-8 3’s a game. Take their big away from the basket and create driving/offensive rebounding opportunities.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »

I think the comparisons to the early Jarvis teams end after limited bench and vertically challenged. This team is nothing like a Jarvis team. He won with defense, but let’s not let nostalgia cloud our judgement. Those teams weren’t great offensively. They won with defense. Artest was one of the best defenders in BE history. Lavor Postell was 6’5, but he played like a 6’10 BE PF. Ty Grant and Anthony Glover rebounded and boxed out. They went up strong with the ball.

This team defends for periods in the game but never for an entire game. I don’t recall our 3 point shooting percentage ever being as high as it is right now. Can it be sustained? Yes, it can. Georgia Tech and VCU play strong defense, and if it worked against them, it can work against the Hall and Nova. No reason why it wouldn’t.

One point that I don’t know if I’ve seen a poster make is that the ball movement has been gradually improving. With 5 guys that can score the ball, ball movement instead of that isolation crap will be how we take the next big step. No BE has 5 guys that can drop 20 on any night. We do.

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 03:14:36 PM »
Clark’s game is what it is, can’t focus on the defensive end, just not foul. He needs to let his presence be known on the offensive end. I would like to see him take 7-8 3’s a game. Take their big away from the basket and create driving/offensive rebounding opportunities.
Driving lanes yes but in case you haven't noticed we don't offensive rebound unless this is one of the new offensive sets Mullin is supposedly set to unleash.

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Opening line according to oddsshark:
Sju +3.5

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
Opening line according to oddsshark:
Sju +3.5

Yep. 3.5 point dogs to SHU, will be around pickem vs Marq and Gtown and will be around 8 point dogs to Villanova. Let's get out of it at 2-2 and take it from there