Game 13: Seton Hall

• 356 replies

redslope

Re: Game 13: Seton Hall
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »
Heron had the best comment on the "issue"-"Hey we're on the road".  In a close game, the clock is "slow" to start with Home team down and quick to start with home team ahead.

« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
The call didn’t change the score, we could have still won had we executed. Stop them from scoring, execute on offense, we win.

We  (lj) executed with the block, then the inbound steal, the refs said nope, we want  shu to win.

« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2018, 11:15:30 PM »
So you can focus on a play that didn’t count and I’ll focus on the play that did count. We allowed a wide open 3 with 3 seconds remaining because our defense broke down. Clean it up, get better, and get some wins. We weren’t going undefeated in conference play.

Yeah and Manu walked before the pass, why no call?
Shu was meant to win.

SJUFAN

« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
We  (lj) executed with the block, then the inbound steal, the refs said nope, we want  shu to win.

Why is everyone ignoring the final play of the game? The one that actually mattered.

goredmen

« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2018, 11:50:43 PM »
Why is everyone ignoring the final play of the game? The one that actually mattered.

Maybe because it should have never happened? You're saying we didn't execute the last play of the game, which is half-true and half-false. Up 1 point with 4 second left and SHU inbounding BLOB, we executed by securing what should have been a steal if not for a brain-fart whistle by the ref (any other explanation of why he blew the whistle is insulting, the ref had a brain cramp and blew the whistle for absolutely no reason). So, SHU got the ball back and wound up hitting a shot.

Furthermore, yeah there was a minor breakdown defensively, but all-in-all that wasn't the worst look in the world from our perspective. Their best player didn't touch the ball and nobody got an open layup or easy 2. It was an open 3 from a guy who hadn't hit a 3 since their season opener on Nov 6th. His last made 3 before that was Nov 24th, 2017. If Heron doesn't foul him, I'd sign up to give that shot up to that guy in that spot every time especially when only up 1.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:51:15 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »

Oh the play where Manu actually walked before passing it?

« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
We got robbed. We also played poorly down the stretch. Both of these things cost us the game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #307 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »
Oh the play where Manu actually walked before passing it?

Yes the play were Manu shouldn’t have been wide open to catch the pass due to the defensive breakdown. It looked more like Heron fouled the shooter on that play than him walking but guess what? Neither one got the call, those things happened.

« Reply #308 on: December 31, 2018, 01:32:38 AM »
Okay. So when you said "I believe the referee did blow his whistle to correct a timing issue" you were talking out your ass. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, that's what I believe.  I don't see how the definition of inadvertent whistle I provided leads to "you were talking out your ass".  Maybe you should re-read it?

Ex-Knick Stu Jackson confirmed it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:39:01 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #309 on: December 31, 2018, 01:50:03 AM »
Carmine

Appreciate your insight as an experience referee. But, the video I see shows the clock at 3.5 when LJ saved the ball. So, it had in fact started. May have started late by an almost imperceptible and certainly irrelevant fraction of a second. Does look like the baseline ref was a tad slow with his hand signal, but again irrelevant. Still don’t buy that the ref made call based on clock. As you say just a screw up that they tried to recover from.

I know. It's crazy. But I don't think a ref would make a key out of bounds call, albeit the worst one ever, with 3 seconds left and not signal direction. In fact, the instinct when your making a bad or difficult call is to come really strong with it to try and sell it.  At first I thought that's what happened and they used the whole shot clock correction as a cover up.  Then I saw this not Yes network video and based on that I think the ref really stopped the play mistakenly - inadvertent whistle to correct the time. All .4 seconds of it. He knew he screwed up badly right away and had needed to wait for a dead ball.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:54:16 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #310 on: December 31, 2018, 01:59:59 AM »
I hadn't realized how badly the big white guy with the crazy tats travelled on that last play till you guys mentioned it.

The refs had the perfect opportunity to make things right there but I guess they already had their fill of controversial calls by then.

Foad

« Reply #311 on: December 31, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »

Yes, that's what I believe.  I don't see how the definition of inadvertent whistle I provided leads to "you were talking out your ass".  Maybe you should re-read it?

I don't have to re read it. According to you

"An inadvertent whistle occurs any time an official blows the whistle by mistake and does not have a call to make." That has two parts: (1) any time an official blows the whistle by mistake" AND "does not have a call to make." According to you - "I believe the referee did blow his whistle to correct a timing issue" - and the league the referee blew his whistle purposefully. Reason and a rudimentary grasp of the English language - which I know you lack - tell us that something that is done purposefully is not done by mistake. Therefore the whistle was not inadvertent according to the definition you provided, therefore you're talking out your ass. Now before we get to the part where you explain why you're a better opera singer than Rene Fleming and why a tenor saxophone is an alto saxophone I'm going to put you back on ignore, except this time for ten years, not five. Because the nothing you won't say isn't worth hearing.

« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Moving on from getting jobbed::

All of our self imposed issues seem fixable. I think 9/10 either heron or ponds hits one or both of those free throws. With Keira and hopefully more from GWill moving forward the guys won’t get so tired.

Also, to echo what others have said, Ponds getting others involved and then seemingly flipping a switch late has been amazing to watch but sometimes that won’t work. He needs to look for some level of rhythm earlier in the game to make that transition easier.

« Reply #313 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

Get your point and it is fair to say that we had an opportunity to stop them. But also fair to say that we stopped 2 of 3 attempts. Law of averages say they are going to score if given enough opportunities (which they were).

« Reply #314 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
Amazingly this is only the third worst jobbing I can remember as a fan of the team.
1. Bull shit tech on Billy Singleton vs Duke in NCAA game.
2. Bull shit goaltending call on Terry Bross vs Depaul @ Depaul in NCAA tourney. Yes that is correct @ Depaul in NCAA tourney game.
3. Saturday night clock gate game
4. No walk call on Cuse in BET loss at buzzer.

« Reply #315 on: December 31, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »

Ex-Knick Stu Jackson confirmed it.

Carmine as a ref in the same position would you watch the play that is unfolding right in front of you or the clock?

Foad

« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Amazingly this is only the third worst jobbing I can remember as a fan of the team.
1. Bull shit tech on Billy Singleton vs Duke in NCAA game.
2. Bull shit goaltending call on Terry Bross vs Depaul @ Depaul in NCAA tourney. Yes that is correct @ Depaul in NCAA tourney game.
3. Saturday night clock gate game
4. No walk call on Cuse in BET loss at buzzer.

Dallas Comegys

« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
Dallas Comegys

You know I somehow forgot about that but was in same game as Bross thing as well. Tough to win a road game in NCAA tourney

Foad

« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
You know I somehow forgot about that but was in same game as Bross thing as well. Tough to win a road game in NCAA tourney

#3 seed DePaul plays on their home court in Chicago. #3 seed Pittsburgh plays in Tucson. Seems fair.

« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »
I don't have to re read it. According to you

"An inadvertent whistle occurs any time an official blows the whistle by mistake and does not have a call to make." That has two parts: (1) any time an official blows the whistle by mistake" AND "does not have a call to make." According to you - "I believe the referee did blow his whistle to correct a timing issue" - and the league the referee blew his whistle purposefully. Reason and a rudimentary grasp of the English language - which I know you lack - tell us that something that is done purposefully is not done by mistake. Therefore the whistle was not inadvertent according to the definition you provided, therefore you're talking out your ass. Now before we get to the part where you explain why you're a better opera singer than Rene Fleming and why a tenor saxophone is an alto saxophone I'm going to put you back on ignore, except this time for ten years, not five. Because the nothing you won't say isn't worth hearing.

Oh Doc.  You loveable, evil, ornery, mad misanthrope you.

(1) any time an official blows the whistle by mistake" AND "does not have a call to make."

"Correcting a timing issue" is not a "call" to make. "By mistake" with regard to an "inadvertent whistle" does not only mean that the referee got hit in the solar plexis and air involuntary came out of his mouth and caused the whistle to sound accidentally. It also applies to when the referee blows the whistle at the wrong time or for the wrong reason. 

Should I go back to my rulebook and get you a definition of what a "call" is in the game of basketball? It's probably not in there though because it's practically self explanatory and obvious to most third graders - just not to you.  "Calls" are stuff like "traveling" and "fouls" and complex things I won't even attempt to explain to you like "back court violation" and "closely guarded".

In your haste to do you - be mean to people - you have once again out stupided yourself. (Apologies for the copyright infringement but occasional you come up with a winner such as Gil Scott and I love plagiarism)

So in summary:

1) The official blew his whistle by mistake.
2) He didn't have a call to make.
3) Correcting a timing issue is not a call.
4) It was an inadvertent whistle.
5) I use too many quotation marks.
6) The tenor sax has a crook in it's neck.
7) I'm a great scat singer - opera is my weakest genre.

8,9 and 10) I love you big guy.  Happy New Year!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:44:41 PM by carmineabbatiello »