Game 14: Marquette

• 127 replies
Re: Game 14: Marquette
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2019, 04:41:29 AM »
- Very proud of players and staff for the way they bounced back from the most emotionally draining game imaginable.  Not sure personally I could have done that.

- Contrary to popular opinion, I thought the near capacity crowd was rather sleepy for much of the contest. Perhaps it was the hangovers.

- Major to have "Not dishonest Abe" back. Immediately he led the reserves in minutes. Trimble, Dixon, Williams and Keita comprise a young, functional with potential to be more than that bench.  Will we someday soon be able to describe our roster as "Depth"?

- Haven't seen it mentioned much but how great have our press conferences been all year? I love coaches refreshingly no nonsense, straight shooting approach.  Usual participants Hammer and Walden are wonderfully thoughtful and candid as well.

"Let's keep it Rockin. Keep the train rolling." - MC

"We like our lineup." - SP

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2019, 05:59:18 AM »
What a great win! even better being there. The crowd was nuts and it got loud in Carnesecca which made it a lot of fun. I really feel that this team turned a corner since the St. Francis game. Things have really clicked for them defensively. They basically have dominated seton hall for 33 minutes on the road and dominated marquette by 20 at home. I really like what I'm seeing and hope they continue this against gtown this weekend.

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 06:03:21 AM »
We play defense like this..we'll have a fun year.

LJ and Heron make this small lineup work.  Love watching them play...also make the most of their opportunities on offense.

Liked what I saw from LJ also. He needs to hits the weights a lil bit on the offseason  though.  Absolutely athletic,  but has a lil old man game in him too, nice mix

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 07:07:45 AM »
What a relieving win this was. I was originally going to go to this game but after that heart breaking loss on Saturday (which I turned on as we were falling apart) and the opportunity to work a few more hours this week, I chose work. I'm looking forward to watching the replay on this one. I'll def be at DePaul or Creighton... Maybe both! Go Johnnie's Go!

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2019, 07:20:16 AM »
I also want to say that if Clark keeps playing like he has been all year he might get drafted. IDK if he's even on the NBA radar but if he keeps shooting lights out it wouldn't surprise me if he catches on with a team

Foad

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2019, 07:57:02 AM »
The Lou fist pump was awesome.

The irony being that if one of his players had taken that shot he'd have revoked their scholarship.

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
I was at the game last night, sitting behind John McEnroe, it was an amazing environment. Seeing Carnesecca sold out was beautiful. That's how every home game should feel. It was LOUUUUUDDDDD!!! Clark and Ponds were so clutch. Heron had a strong 2nd half to help us put it away. Keita, in limited minutes had a few big blocks in key times, and then on the bench was HYPING up the crowd all game. Lets back it up with a W vs G'Town

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
I also want to say that if Clark keeps playing like he has been all year he might get drafted. IDK if he's even on the NBA radar but if he keeps shooting lights out it wouldn't surprise me if he catches on with a team

He's no dope either. When asked in the PC how he likes matching up against a traditonal five, he described himself as a "wing" playing out of position.

Sounds like a kid who knows where his future bread is buttered.

tnice

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2019, 10:06:19 AM »
It might not be the best team they've beaten in the Mullin era, but IMO this is the biggest win of his tenure. To bounce back like that, after the travesty on Saturday and with all the expectations on this team this year, is unbelievable. Total team victory.

I've been a pretty harsh critic of Mullin's coaching, but he coached the #$%^ing pants off Wojo yesterday- gameplan, team motivation, and in-game. If he can get them to play D like that all year and just clean up some of the ball security/decision making lapses this season will be every bit as special as we all hope.

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2019, 10:16:35 AM »
He's no dope either. When asked in the PC how he likes matching up against a traditonal five, he described himself as a "wing" playing out of position.

Sounds like a kid who knows where his future bread is buttered.

The development he has shown from his first game in an SJ uniform until now is unreal. Also invaluable to this team is the senior leadership he provides. He's been amazing this year.

Foad

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
Ladies room maybe.

He is a really poor man's Baldi.
At least Bluto was entertaining.

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:48 AM »
He is a really poor man's Baldi.
At least Bluto was entertaining.

Was?

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 11:34:11 AM »
Thought you retired

There's not a 0 in the L column anymore so he's back

cjfish

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
An amazing performance. Great D and finally exhibiting a killer instinct. This is a special team. We create far more matchup problems with our quickness than are created with our lack of size.  Clark is the key to this drawing opponents big man out creating an open lane. Practice against zones necessary as the zone negates Clark’s  drawing their bigs outside. We are the type of team that doesn’t like the zone but with our ability to hit the 3 we should handle it. I like Ponds or Simon at the Ft line against a zone to draw and create...inside out.

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
There's not a 0 in the L column anymore so he's back

#butthurt

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »
Thought you retired

Retirement is for quitters

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »