The Future of this Program

• 178 replies
Re: The Future of this Program
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
St Jean installed the system, he runs the practices, he runs the huddle during the games. He is the main coach of the team. The record is more of a reflection of his ability more than any other assistant coach at this level.

I think we’re operating on a different level of assumed truths.

You think mullings is just a figurehead that ties his shoes to duck out of the shot to get St Jean some well deserved face time.

I think Mullin is the head coach, that dictates the offense and the defense and how recruiting is carried out and who is recruited.

These are very different realities.

Johnny23

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
If you are basing your opinion off results than you'd notice the improvement in RPI each season and top 45 NET ranking this year. Those are objective measures.

But you don't want objectivity.

Still need to finish the deal though. If they make the tourney this year then I'll give the CS, Mullin and St. Jean, the credit they deserve.

SJUFAN

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
It is repeated ad nauseam on here how we should go after the young hungry coach who wants to put in the work and knows how to teach and work a system. That seems like St Jean to me.

Maybe the guy we have been looking for is right under our nose.

He doesn’t recruit, he doesn’t teach defense. His contributions to the program has lead us to a win loss record that would rival Norm Roberts. Let that settle in for a moment...and you believe he may be the long term answer for head coach? You must be connected with the administration, it’s reasoning such as this that has doomed this program.

SJUFAN

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »

You think mullings is just a figurehead that ties his shoes to duck out of the shot to get St Jean some well deserved face time.

I think Mullin is the head coach, that dictates the offense and the defense and how recruiting is carried out and who is recruited.

Mullin is the head coach and at the end of the day it’s all on him. He decides how we should play, what style we should play, yes. But he’s not the one teaching it. That falls on St. Jean.

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
St Jean installed the system, he runs the practices, he runs the huddle during the games. He is the main coach of the team. The record is more of a reflection of his ability more than any other assistant coach at this level.

You know how hard it is to coach another guys team? You’re looking at it the wrong way. No assistant coach in the country has that on his plate.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
You know how hard it is to coach another guys team? You’re looking at it the wrong way. No assistant coach in the country has that on his plate.
I believe your over thinking it. This is the expectation of coaching staffs. They are all expected to coach. We have been screaming for years for Mullin to bring in a defensive coach...so he can coach Mullin’s guys. We seen it at its best in Lavins first year with Dunlap. Dunlap did a remarkable job with the installation of his system even though Lavin was the head coach. Teaching is teaching, doesn’t matter who’s guys they are.

TONYD3

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:49 PM »

Some of you really think mullin is working? Really?

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »
I believe your over thinking it. This is the expectation of coaching staffs. They are all expected to coach. We have been screaming for years for Mullin to bring in a defensive coach...so he can coach Mullin’s guys. We seen it at its best in Lavins first year with Dunlap. Dunlap did a remarkable job with the installation of his system even though Lavin was the head coach. Teaching is teaching, doesn’t matter who’s guys they are.

“The record is more of a reflection of his ability more than any other assistant coach at this level.”

Really? I’m the one overthinking it? I’m using your own logic. If you think our play is more of a reflection on him then any other assistant coach then what you are essentially saying is he has more on his plate coaching wise than any other coach.

A 25-28 year old assistant coach, at SJU isn’t going to have an easy time commanding players attention. I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s proven he won’t be a good head coach because of what our record has been the last 3 years. I don’t think you said that, but just in general.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:52:24 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
Told you all he was an empty suit 3.5 years ago

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
Told you all he was an empty suit 3.5 years ago

Let the adults discuss this one.

TONYD3

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »
Let the adults discuss this one.
Sure professor. Tell us again how these novices are getting better with age.
You have a losing hand. You should fold. Need to save some face. That would matter to most people. But you are so full of crap it doesn’t matter.

Poison

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2019, 11:39:57 PM »
Some of you really think mullin is working? Really?

Just because we never see him working, and have no evidence of him working doesn’t automatically mean that he isn’t.

I suspect that he’s lazy and massively entitled, but I’m only basing that on him not recruiting in person and constantly bitching at the refs.

There may be plenty of things that he does that we don’t see. Those things are anyone’s guess.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »
Sure professor. Tell us again how these novices are getting better with age.
You have a losing hand. You should fold. Need to save some face. That would matter to most people. But you are so full of crap it doesn’t matter.
Can you limit the analogies and metaphors? Thanks.

The "novices" are getting better and that is clearly backed by evidence in the form of objective measures such as the RPI and the new NET. That assertion is also backed by total wins and losses per season.

I think it is certainly possible the team is better next year as well with more returned experience, more continuity, more size, better depth, and better coaching.

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2019, 12:21:51 AM »
Can you limit the analogies and metaphors? Thanks.

The "novices" are getting better and that is clearly backed by evidence in the form of objective measures such as the RPI and the new NET. That assertion is also backed by total wins and losses per season.

I think it is certainly possible the team is better next year as well with more returned experience, more continuity, more size, better depth, and better coaching.

I’m Shocked, shocked(!) that you think there will be year to year improvements. Programs either are or they aren’t.

SJUFAN

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2019, 12:24:13 AM »
“The record is more of a reflection of his ability more than any other assistant coach at this level.”

Really? I’m the one overthinking it? I’m using your own logic. If you think our play is more of a reflection on him then any other assistant coach then what you are essentially saying is he has more on his plate coaching wise than any other coach.

A 25-28 year old assistant coach, at SJU isn’t going to have an easy time commanding players attention. I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s proven he won’t be a good head coach because of what our record has been the last 3 years. I don’t think you said that, but just in general.
If it’s true he does do more than any assistant coach then it’s true that the current record is more on him than any assistant coach. I’m not saying he’s proven he won’t be a good head coach, I’m saying there is more evidence to suggest he won’t be based on the teams performance to date. Yes they have improved, but they still have many flaws which stem from the coaching. He could get better, but until then he is what his record says he is.

SJUFAN

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2019, 12:38:32 AM »
I’m Shocked, shocked(!) that you think there will be year to year improvements. Programs either are or they aren’t.

Based off this logic should we go 7-11 in the BE and only make the NIT then the staff had a successful season because “progress” was made.

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2019, 12:48:26 AM »
Based off this logic should we go 7-11 in the BE and only make the NIT then the staff had a successful season because “progress” was made.

Your logic is additive, mine is exponential.

Come back later.

jr49

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
He doesn’t recruit, he doesn’t teach defense. His contributions to the program has lead us to a win loss record that would rival Norm Roberts. Let that settle in for a moment...and you believe he may be the long term answer for head coach? You must be connected with the administration, it’s reasoning such as this that has doomed this program.
What long term? I thought he was going to try to turn it over in good shape. CM will know he's not getting it done without help from here. Credit to him he didn't take off after last year. Are there many here who want him out now?

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2019, 06:08:22 PM »
A loss is a loss. I did not expect us to beat Duke, however,  but I did think we could have kept it at 10. The most troubling thing about this game for me is lack of effort and giving up. It was clear major pieces for us did not have their heads in the game. Thats on coaching. Ponds' turnovers, the foolish heaving of 3pters knowing your a bit off that day was ridiculous. Low energy and not motivated and intimidated as the game tailed on. Not good.

Also I hate to admit- at Duke Moe proved himself to be a lottery pick. This game, barring crazy play at end of year and hot hand by Ponds he all but cemented himself as low second to undrafted and likely Euro player. At this rate why not come back another year for him?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:08:46 PM by friendofjohnnie »

ras

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
A loss is a loss. I did not expect us to beat Duke, however,  but I did think we could have kept it at 10. The most troubling thing about this game for me is lack of effort and giving up. It was clear major pieces for us did not have their heads in the game. Thats on coaching. Ponds' turnovers, the foolish heaving of 3pters knowing your a bit off that day was ridiculous. Low energy and not motivated and intimidated as the game tailed on. Not good.

Also I hate to admit- at Duke Moe proved himself to be a lottery pick. This game, barring crazy play at end of year and hot hand by Ponds he all but cemented himself as low second to undrafted and likely Euro player. At this rate why not come back another year for him?
money
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:20:33 PM by ras »