The Future of this Program

• 178 replies

Poison

Re: The Future of this Program
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
A loss is a loss. I did not expect us to beat Duke, however,  but I did think we could have kept it at 10. The most troubling thing about this game for me is lack of effort and giving up. It was clear major pieces for us did not have their heads in the game. Thats on coaching. Ponds' turnovers, the foolish heaving of 3pters knowing your a bit off that day was ridiculous. Low energy and not motivated and intimidated as the game tailed on. Not good.

Also I hate to admit- at Duke Moe proved himself to be a lottery pick. This game, barring crazy play at end of year and hot hand by Ponds he all but cemented himself as low second to undrafted and likely Euro player. At this rate why not come back another year for him?

We were a terrible match up for Duke. We beat them last year because they went into the game thinking we were a joke because we were a joke.

This year, they had a clear gameplan to stop Shamorie. Our head coach should have seen that coming because it’s completely obvious that if you stop Shamorie, you will beat St.John’s.

Furthermore, Kentucky, who has a roster loaded with NBA big men, couldn’t stop Zion. We don’t even have a center let alone a PF that we can count on against DePaul.

This staff has an abysmal record with big men. Every single one of them has left early to play elsewhere. Only Tariq Owens improved while he was here, and he took off as well. We blame this on his father, but the St.John’s big men all leave.

Without a defensive presence in the paint, our 5 guard line up has to play at an NBA level or we can’t win. Sometimes they do, but it’s asking a lot.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:14:29 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
We were a terrible match up for Duke. We beat them last year because they went into the game thinking we were a joke because we were a joke.

This year, they had a clear gameplan to stop Shamorie. Our head coach should have seen that coming because it’s completely obvious that if you stop Shamorie, you will beat St.John’s.

Furthermore, Kentucky, who has a roster loaded with NBA big men, couldn’t stop Zion. We don’t even have a center let alone a PF that we can count on against DePaul.

This staff has an abysmal record with big men. Every single one of them has left early to play elsewhere. Only Tariq Owens improved while he was here, and he took off as well. We blame this on his father, but the St.John’s big men all leave.

Without a defensive presence in the paint, our 5 guard line up has to play at an NBA level or we can’t win. Sometimes they do, but it’s asking a lot.

Roster mismanagement at its finest.

Poison

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
Roster mismanagement at its finest.

That’s the result, but I think the answer here is in their plan for big men. All of them aren’t happy with it.

I wasn’t a fan of Tariq Owens the three point shooter, but I kinda get it. If you never run a play for him, and only expect him to get points by fighting for offensive boards (alone) he’s going to play street ball, too.

Johnny23

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
That’s the result, but I think the answer here is in their plan for big men. All of them aren’t happy with it.

I wasn’t a fan of Tariq Owens the three point shooter, but I kinda get it. If you never run a play for him, and only expect him to get points by fighting for offensive boards (alone) he’s going to play street ball, too.

Yup. If they had just one decent big 6'9+ that could rebound and had any semblance of an offensive game they'd have at least 2 more wins on the resume. Hopefully Steere brings a little of that with his game next year. They sorely need a real big. With Keita and Manuel doing the glass work.

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »

Listen you get beat by 30 then obiously there is blame to go around but I think the game all changed when Clark had to leave the game. Up to that point Ponds was still able to create opportunities without scoring. 4 assists in the first ten minutes. Clark as the pick man gave him options. Once he was gone we tried our best to hang on for the last ten minutes of the half but I think we had 21 points when he picked up his second and ended the half with only 27. Could be wrong on the exact numbers but once the Clark option was gone the pressure on Ponds picked up and he did not handle it like we expect him to. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »

Listen you get beat by 30 then obiously there is blame to go around but I think the game all changed when Clark had to leave the game. Up to that point Ponds was still able to create opportunities without scoring. 4 assists in the first ten minutes. Clark as the pick man gave him options. Once he was gone we tried our best to hang on for the last ten minutes of the half but I think we had 21 points when he picked up his second and ended the half with only 27. Could be wrong on the exact numbers but once the Clark option was gone the pressure on Ponds picked up and he did not handle it like we expect him to. 

Clark can’t defend in the paint. He’s a guard. We need him to box out and play like Ty Grant. It’s not in him.

He is absolutely the problem only because the staff has created a situation where Clark is asked to defend bigs, and he can’t. It was working until he got into foul trouble, but he’s always in foul trouble. This is what we should always expect.

No one can guard Zion. It’s not fair to blame Clark for that guy having his way with us, but Clark doesn’t defend anyone well. Keita is still a step behind, although he’s making some progress. We desperately need him to continue to improve.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:56:01 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
Clark can’t defend in the paint. He’s a guard.

A guard? Hahahahaha

He can’t even defend SFs for more than ten seconds.

Johnny23

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »
https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/what-chris-mullin-and-st-johns-must-do-to-keep-top-nyc-talent/

Think the whole must own NYC thing is overrated. This isn't 1985. Get top talent wherever you can get it. Can't be dependent recruiting one area.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
Think the whole must own NYC thing is overrated. This isn't 1985. Get top talent wherever you can get it. Can't be dependent recruiting one area.

I agree however if the staff, not including Matt, isn’t willing to put in the work in their own back yard, how likely will they be able to successfully recruit Baltimore, Maryland, DC, Virginia, Texas? They are not.

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
I agree however if the staff, not including Matt, isn’t willing to put in the work in their own back yard, how likely will they be able to successfully recruit Baltimore, Maryland, DC, Virginia, Texas? They are not.

I don't think that's the case either. They got Shamorie Ponds, now Nate Tabor, and are in the mix for Precious. Sure there have been some other notable players who all went to seriously high profile schools. It's not like they're losing players to Seton Hall, Rutgers, or even UConn.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
I don't think that's the case either. They got Shamorie Ponds, now Nate Tabor, and are in the mix for Precious. Sure there have been some other notable players who all went to seriously high profile schools. It's not like they're losing players to Seton Hall, Rutgers, or even UConn.

Ponds, LoVett, Mussini was recruited by the previous staff. But even if we gave Ponds to the current staff, Williams and Tabor in 2020, that’s 3 top 100 players out of HS in 6 years. Who we are in on doesn’t count, who we sign is what matters. Trending in the right direction would mean a top 20 recruiting class, not one player in the top 100. We have to do better.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:08:47 PM by SJUFAN »

goredmen

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2019, 03:12:17 PM »
But even if we gave Ponds to the current staff

You are an insane person if you give the previous staff anything more than 0% credit for Ponds being here, but not surprising considering you think Lavin's 5th year team was deeper than Mullin's 4th year team

Marillac

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »

When did Tariq ever fight for offensive boards?

SJUFAN

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
You are an insane person if you give the previous staff anything more than 0% credit for Ponds being here, but not surprising considering you think Lavin's 5th year team was deeper than Mullin's 4th year team

So you think this years team is deeper? Let’s simplify it then...who coming off the bench now that is better than Branch? On to Ponds. Are you familiar with Ponds recruitment? Who offered him the scholarship? Ponds was under recruited, the previous staff was on him early, he really didn’t have a better choice when Mullin took over.
No different than LoVett.

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »
So you think this years team is deeper? Let’s simplify it then...who coming off the bench now that is better than Branch? On to Ponds. Are you familiar with Ponds recruitment? Who offered him the scholarship? Ponds was under recruited, the previous staff was on him early, he really didn’t have a better choice when Mullin took over.
No different than LoVett.

You attempting to discredit the staff for landing ponds is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Ponds, LoVett, Mussini was recruited by the previous staff. But even if we gave Ponds to the current staff, Williams and Tabor in 2020, that’s 3 top 100 players out of HS in 6 years. Who we are in on doesn’t count, who we sign is what matters. Trending in the right direction would mean a top 20 recruiting class, not one player in the top 100. We have to do better.

This is great, now Ponds should belong to Lavin and the current staff is devils advocate getting credit for him. Talk about staff criticism jumping the shark.

SJUFAN

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
When did Tariq ever fight for offensive boards?

There is more to Tariq leaving than we’ll know. Although he may not have been the best rebounder, his presence at the 5 is surly missed. Probably a top 25 team if he stayed.

Foad

« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
So you think this years team is deeper? Let’s simplify it then...who coming off the bench now that is better than Branch?

Lavin's last year six players played more than 10 minutes a game - those six played 92 percent of available minutes - and that includes 12 games where Pointer and Obekpa fouled out and of course the immortal game where he started the walk-ons because he had a premonition. Mullin's fourth year eight players have played more than 10 minutes. If Lavin's bench was so deep and talented why didn't he use them?