The Future of this Program

• 178 replies
Re: The Future of this Program
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
I have a strange feeling that if Mullin and staff depart within a few years and St. Jean goes elsewhere he is going to turn into a great coach if he has resources and big program to work under or at the very least develop in one day. We have him now at the beginning of his career with little experience and doing much of the coaching. He has connections too with his Dad's history. As a young coach results have not been great but passion is there. Maybe he will be the one that got away one day and with our luck I would not be surprised if that happens.

Johnny23

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
For those who subscribe to Peter Vescey's Patreon column, St Jean's uncle Rick sometimes offers his thoughts in the column.  Been waiting for see if he or Vescey would comment on the St Johns situation in one of the columns, but nothing yet.

Very interesting and doubt they'll ever comment on it because of the personal ties.

SJUFAN

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
I have a strange feeling that if Mullin and staff depart within a few years and St. Jean goes elsewhere he is going to turn into a great coach if he has resources and big program to work under or at the very least develop in one day.

Based on what? Tell me...who has he recruited? Every college and Pro basketball team that has challenged for or won a championship did not finish in the bottom third in defense. Even the high powered Golden State Warriors finish in top tier on defense. The job he is doing with us is not helping him.

Johnny23

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Based on what? Tell me...who has he recruited? Every college and Pro basketball team that has challenged for or won a championship did not finish in the bottom third in defense. Even the high powered Golden State Warriors finish in top tier on defense. The job he is doing with us is not helping him.

It's a silly hypothetical he posed and just baseless. The kid will land buried on someone else's bench due to family name only once this experiment ends. Some here who don't know the game and just base their opinions off things like "passion" and "youth". Takes a lot more than that to make a good coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »
I think he has a lot to learn. As long as he is willing to take a step back and learn I think he will become a great coach. He calls excellent plays out of timeouts. When he gets a chance to talk to a player even for a second during a free throw we usually score or get a good shot.

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »

My point is this- he will have 4 years experience (at least) as an associate head coach at a Big East program where we all agree he is doing much of the grunt-work at such a young age. The results are not there, but from many accounts he has put alot of effort in and is dedicated. While I do not expect him to be coaching say Duke his next job, I can definitely see him doing an "advanced internship" of sorts with a more established better coach in the Coach K mold or Roy Williams or Mike Brey. He will learn what a big resource program is all about and after a few years there you may see him on hot lists to be a head coach at some decent schools. I am not saying I have all of the evidence in the world that this will happen, but I would not be surprised is my point.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:40 PM »
Turncoats!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
the georgetown and depaul losses were bad.  BUT, right now the record is 16-5 (4-5), which includes the seton hall job.  so this is a 17-4 team.  I'm assuming they'll win one they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't and finish with 8-10 BE wins and sneak into the tourney.  That's always what this season has looked like.  Is that enough at this point? 

I think a large part of our perception will depend on whether they can win a game or two in the tourney, because based on regular season records things have been worse than under Lavin.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:37:34 AM by apesNapes »

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
the georgetown and depaul losses were bad.  BUT, right now the record is 16-5 (4-5), which includes the seton hall job.  so this is a 17-4 team.  I'm assuming they'll win one they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't and finish with 8-10 BE wins and sneak into the tourney.  That's always what this season has looked like.  Is that enough at this point? 

I think a large part of our perception will depend on whether they can win a game or two in the tourney, because based on regular season records things have been worse than under Lavin.

don't think we win against coach k, but a win vs duke would offset the 2 losses vs butler/gtown and DePaul and 7-9 BE record should still get us in.  otherwise we need to finish at 8-8 minimum.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:43:00 AM by buckeyestorm »

Foad

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »

Nothing is ever enough. The last SJ team to have won 16 games by the end of January was the Elite 8 team. This team has already won as many games this year as they did all of last. And the delusional chronic malcontent superfans are earnestly discussing who the next coach'll be when Mullin inevitably gets canned at the end of the year. If I'm Cragg I have Rick Pitino on speed dial. You can't make this stuff up.

Johnny23

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
The BE schedule is 18 games, not 16 games as some seem to think.

TONYD3

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
Nothing is ever enough. The last SJ team to have won 16 games by the end of January was the Elite 8 team. This team has already won as many games this year as they did all of last. And the delusional chronic malcontent superfans are earnestly discussing who the next coach'll be when Mullin inevitably gets canned at the end of the year. If I'm Cragg I have Rick Pitino on speed dial. You can't make this stuff up.

That win over St. Francis was amazing. Still can’t believe we beat bowling green. And don’t forget we are Legends Classic Champs! Not many fans can brag about that!

Foad

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »

That win over St. Francis was amazing. Still can’t believe we beat bowling green. And don’t forget we are Legends Classic Champs! Not many fans can brag about that!

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »

Bowling Green very well could be a tournament team. Poor example.

pmg911

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
You can call me stupid all you want. You are sticking up for a coach who has lost for 3 years with Shamorie Ponds. THAT IS DUMB

We are in Year 3 with Ponds and the team is 11 games over .500 this season...   tough to say he is losing this year...

TONYD3

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Bowling Green very well could be a tournament team. Poor example.
Only if they win their tournament. They weren’t picked randomly.

TONYD3

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
We are in Year 3 with Ponds and the team is 11 games over .500 this season...   tough to say he is losing this year...
4-5 in conference. Easy to say. Because it’s true. Anyway was just messing with foady.

SJUFAN

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
Prior to conference play I thought at worse we would finish 10-8 in conference. Now that is looking like the ceiling. If we finish .500 or worse and only make the NIT, that would be a lost season.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
It's a silly hypothetical he posed and just baseless. The kid will land buried on someone else's bench due to family name only once this experiment ends. Some here who don't know the game and just base their opinions off things like "passion" and "youth". Takes a lot more than that to make a good coach.

You're well off base. I've heard him described as a wunderkind by a big name who observed a practice he ran. Who the hell gets this kind of experience in their early 20's? If we make the dance the next two seasons he will be offered head coaching positions.

He could be at a high major by 30.

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2019, 10:23:32 PM »
You're well off base. I've heard him described as a wunderkind by a big name who observed a practice he ran. Who the hell gets this kind of experience in their early 20's? If we make the dance the next two seasons he will be offered head coaching positions.

He could be at a high major by 30.
He is in charge of everything. Does some things amazing. Have you noticed the defense?