The Future of this Program

• 178 replies

SJUFAN

Re: The Future of this Program
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
He is in charge of everything. Does some things amazing. Have you noticed the defense?

It’s amazing how that aspect gets overlooked and is one of the main reasons why we have been so poor over his tenure.

SJUFAN

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2019, 11:45:04 PM »
You're well off base. I've heard him described as a wunderkind by a big name who observed a practice he ran. Who the hell gets this kind of experience in their early 20's? If we make the dance the next two seasons he will be offered head coaching positions.

He could be at a high major by 30.

We takin about practice? Not a game...not a game...but practice.

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:24 AM »
St. Jean will be a hot name in 3-4 years and will be a power five hc in his 30s

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2019, 12:37:00 AM »
You're well off base. I've heard him described as a wunderkind by a big name who observed a practice he ran. Who the hell gets this kind of experience in their early 20's? If we make the dance the next two seasons he will be offered head coaching positions.

When I went to see us play in the Bahamas I played late night, early morning really, drunken blackjack with a bunch of his Wesleyan teammates and friends. To a man they all described him as some sort of basketball savant.

wpc77

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
When I went to see us play in the Bahamas I played late night, early morning really, drunken blackjack with a bunch of his Wesleyan teammates and friends. To a man they all described him as some sort of basketball savant.

I have heard the same.  Dunlap was / is similar.  That doesn't always translate into a successful major college head coach, however (Dunlap being the case in point).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:30:34 AM by wpc77 »

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
I have heard the same.  Dunlap was / is similar.  That doesn't always translate into a successful major college head coach, however (Dunlap being the case in point).

True, Dunlap always seemed pretty abrasive which was a good combination with happy- go lucky Lavin.

Johnny23

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »

Talk is cheap. You keep projecting. Results are all that matters. The kid hasn't proven jacksh*t yet. Don't hype someone up until they have walked the walk. He has yet to prove anything besides being part of a losing culture at SJU.

Johnny23

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »

Wesleyan as in that powerhouse D5 school. Means nothing.

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
Wesleyan as in that powerhouse D5 school. Means nothing.

I never implied it meant anything.  I was just relaying a story pertinent to this topic.

Johnny23

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »
I never implied it meant anything.  I was just relaying a story pertinent to this topic.

I hear you. Let's see what the kid draws up for the Dookies.

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
I just checked the mock draft at NBAdraft.net to see about the Knicks future picks and where Dallas was scheduled to pick this year (realized they don't have a first rounder), and I saw that they removed Mustpaha Heron from their 2020 mock draft.  He was a high second rounder last i checked, but his recent play dropped him out entirely.  I have to say that I completely agree with this, but starting tomorrow he can really make a case for himself. 

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
Talk is cheap. You keep projecting. Results are all that matters. The kid hasn't proven jacksh*t yet. Don't hype someone up until they have walked the walk. He has yet to prove anything besides being part of a losing culture at SJU.

You keep projecting as well--just in the other direction. The #s show our RPI has increased dramatically each season.  We are in the tournament if the season ended today and that is a hell of an accomplishment for a brand new staff that inherited a monumental mess just four years ago.

Foad

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »
I just checked the mock draft at NBAdraft.net to see about the Knicks future picks and where Dallas was scheduled to pick this year (realized they don't have a first rounder), and I saw that they removed Mustpaha Heron from their 2020 mock draft.  He was a high second rounder last i checked, but his recent play dropped him out entirely.  I have to say that I completely agree with this, but starting tomorrow he can really make a case for himself. 

I don't see him currently as an NBA player and it would be a slap in the face to the NCAA if they gave him a dispensation to move to NY to be closer to is ailing mother and then nine months later moved he moves to China.

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »
I don't see him currently as an NBA player and it would be a slap in the face to the NCAA if they gave him a dispensation to move to NY to be closer to is ailing mother and then nine months later moved he moves to China.

I agree on all counts.

He is so predictable and also very easy to block for taller players. I don't think he'd go in a 3 round draft this year. 

There is still time for him to adjust his game...he's got the physical talent to make it if he does.

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
I agree on all counts.

He is so predictable and also very easy to block for taller players. I don't think he'd go in a 3 round draft this year. 

There is still time for him to adjust his game...he's got the physical talent to make it if he does.

Either way, I’ve been impressed with his shooting. Too bad long 2’s aren’t in vogue anymore.

SJUFAN

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2019, 06:16:22 PM »
You keep projecting as well--just in the other direction. The #s show our RPI has increased dramatically each season.  We are in the tournament if the season ended today and that is a hell of an accomplishment for a brand new staff that inherited a monumental mess just four years ago.

This fan base has a difficult time accepting reality. Could St. Jean develop into a good coach? Maybe. However so far he has been nothing short of a disaster.

First 3 years:
38-60 (12-42)

Norm Roberts first 3 years:
37-48 (15-33 old BE)

Good coaches find a way to win. He can’t recruit and doesn’t know or cares to coach defense. He’s closer to being on the bench charting deflections than running a big time program.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:17:25 PM by SJUFAN »

Johnny23

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »

I'm not projecting, rather basing my opinion off real results which have been bad. You're the one who's hoping he does those things, no idea if he will or won't.

The staff isn't brand new anymore and if they don't make the tourney this year it will be considered a failed season by all accounts.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:25:39 PM by Johnny23 »

Marillac

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
I'm not projecting, rather basing my opinion off real results which have been bad. You're the one who's hoping he does those things, no idea if he will or won't.

The staff isn't brand new anymore and if they don't make the tourney this year it will be considered a failed season by all accounts.

If you are basing your opinion off results than you'd notice the improvement in RPI each season and top 45 NET ranking this year. Those are objective measures.

But you don't want objectivity.

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
This fan base has a difficult time accepting reality. Could St. Jean develop into a good coach? Maybe. However so far he has been nothing short of a disaster.

First 3 years:
38-60 (12-42)

Norm Roberts first 3 years:
37-48 (15-33 old BE)

Good coaches find a way to win. He can’t recruit and doesn’t know or cares to coach defense. He’s closer to being on the bench charting deflections than running a big time program.

Whoa whoa whoa. St Jean is not the head coach. To put wins and losses on an assistant is absurd, to act like the first season with what-were-their-names running around out there is in any way relevant is absurd and to ignore the fact that there has been a clear progression into a semblance of a system that while imperfect has also been beautiful is absurd.

It is repeated ad nauseam on here how we should go after the young hungry coach who wants to put in the work and knows how to teach and work a system. That seems like St Jean to me.

Maybe the guy we have been looking for is right under our nose.

SJUFAN

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa. St Jean is not the head coach. To put wins and losses on an assistant is absurd,

St Jean installed the system, he runs the practices, he runs the huddle during the games. He is the main coach of the team. The record is more of a reflection of his ability more than any other assistant coach at this level.