The Future of this Program

• 178 replies

SJUFAN

Re: The Future of this Program
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:02 AM »
I don't think Lavin should have been fired. When he was, I offered my support to Mullin. I will do the same if Mullin left or was let go.

Neither Lavin nor Mullin share the same basketball philosophy I do, but Mullin is closer.

I will support any coach until they can no longer get top players. Mullin is still doing that as evidenced by the recent 2020 commit from the #58 player in the country.

This is Mullins 4th year and he plays 2 kids that has come from HS, Williams and Ponds. The rest transfers. It’s good we got the #58 ranked player in next years class, but the recruiting of HS players has been atrocious. That is why we have no bench.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 02:12:46 AM »
The future of the program is they have at least 12 more games this year remaining.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 06:08:52 AM »
The future of the program is they have at least 12 more games this year remaining.
This guy has won around 30 percent of games that matter. How many do you think he wins?

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
This is Mullins 4th year and he plays 2 kids that has come from HS, Williams and Ponds. The rest transfers. It’s good we got the #58 ranked player in next years class, but the recruiting of HS players has been atrocious. That is why we have no bench.

Who cares about where talent comes from? Would you like Figuerora and Heron to leave?

Plenty of non-blue bloods like Nevada and Oregon lean on multiple  transfers to win in March.

The pattern here is unmistakable. We fire a coach, players transfer en masse, we lose all of the pledged recruits and 4-5 year if inroads made with future classes, then the new coach scrambles to fill the roster with questionable characters with talent, players that aren't Big East talents, and guys who want immediate playing time instead of earning it. When better players are brought in, the first wave of players transfer. If one mistake is made or a player is so good he jumps pro, the coach is effed and our fans start to turn.

Why not try letting a coach fill a damn roster with guys like Williams before we breakout the pitchforks?

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
Who cares about where talent comes from? Would you like Figuerora and Heron to leave?

Plenty of non-blue bloods like Nevada and Oregon lean on multiple  transfers to win in March.

The pattern here is unmistakable. We fire a coach, players transfer en masse, we lose all of the pledged recruits and 4-5 year if inroads made with future classes, then the new coach scrambles to fill the roster with questionable characters with talent, players that aren't Big East talents, and guys who want immediate playing time instead of earning it. When better players are brought in, the first wave of players transfer. If one mistake is made or a player is so good he jumps pro, the coach is effed and our fans start to turn.

Why not try letting a coach fill a damn roster with guys like Williams before we breakout the pitchforks?

Nonsense! Mahoney leaves, we bring in a real coach. Real coach does his job, brings in players and in 2 years we are good. How many guys transferred out when Fran got here?
Norm sucks, we bring in another real coach. Immediately we are good. Again how many guys transferred out with Lavin ?
Current players probably thought they enjoyed Mullins LAX attitude. I bet not so much right now. Guys want to win. Saturday was embarrassing.

You could give this novice more time. Pattern is more losses and waaaaaaay more transfers. One guy out already. Earlington playing football, plenty of Trimble rumors, Roberts doesn’t play but didn’t redshirt, their are even rumors about Simon leaving, neither ponds or Herron projected to go in 1st round, they are both not expected back. How many more guys do we lose if we keep going this way?
Experiment failed. 15-47

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »
Nonsense! Mahoney leaves, we bring in a real coach. Real coach does his job, brings in players and in 2 years we are good. How many guys transferred out when Fran got here?
Norm sucks, we bring in another real coach. Immediately we are good. Again how many guys transferred out with Lavin ?
Current players probably thought they enjoyed Mullins LAX attitude. I bet not so much right now. Guys want to win. Saturday was embarrassing.

You could give this novice more time. Pattern is more losses and waaaaaaay more transfers. One guy out already. Earlington playing football, plenty of Trimble rumors, Roberts doesn’t play but didn’t redshirt, their are even rumors about Simon leaving, neither ponds or Herron projected to go in 1st round, they are both not expected back. How many more guys do we lose if we keep going this way?
Experiment failed. 15-47

Again, thank you for giving the double-digit IQ perspective on this. Too long have the tri-dig's posted in a triple-digit IQ echo chamber.

Certainly you understand the difference between the 90s and today. From 1976-1992, St. John's missed the tournament just twice. They made the Final Four in 1985, the Elite Eight in 1991, and won the Big East in 1992.

St. John's was still a huge name, the Big East was on top, and NYC high schools were producing talent like no other area. The transfers rules were so strict they bordered on prohibitive.

All those factors combined with culture at the time made it possible to replace coaches without roster upheaval and made recruiting to St. John's relatively easy.

Fast-forward to modern day and you have liberal transfer rules, a culture of transferring (>40% of high school commits transfer by the end of their soph season), a severely downgraded Big East, an awful NYC high school talent pool, and St. John's has been essentially irrelevant for two decades.

The last three firings have resulted in long rebuilds. Why would the fourth be any different?

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
If the time does come when we have to move in a new direction, the school will have alot of decisions to make. Do they have the funding/backing to revamp the facilities and put millions in to attract a big name coach in the Pitino or Calhoun mold? You figure its double- the renovations and the coach's contract so may be impractical unless there is a willing commitment from alumni funding and such to make it happen.

Or...

Do they take the chance and find a young up and comer or find money to throw at a Hurley? A Hurley will cost more but is more of a sure thing. And if they find a young up and comer coach they better have done their HW and he better have had connections to a good program previously to help with recruiting.

I think you guys already addressed my first choice- Mark Jackson and the unlikely chance he leaves SoCal. I really hope Mullin turns it around, but sometimes you just have to think - what if he doesn't?

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
You lost me at “another real coach”

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Because you can’t add and subtract wins and losses.

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
Again, thank you for giving the double-digit IQ perspective on this. Too long have the tri-dig's posted in a triple-digit IQ echo chamber.

Certainly you understand the difference between the 90s and today. From 1976-1992, St. John's missed the tournament just twice. They made the Final Four in 1985, the Elite Eight in 1991, and won the Big East in 1992.

St. John's was still a huge name, the Big East was on top, and NYC high schools were producing talent like no other area. The transfers rules were so strict they bordered on prohibitive.

All those factors combined with culture at the time made it possible to replace coaches without roster upheaval and made recruiting to St. John's relatively easy.

Fast-forward to modern day and you have liberal transfer rules, a culture of transferring (>40% of high school commits transfer by the end of their soph season), a severely downgraded Big East, an awful NYC high school talent pool, and St. John's has been essentially irrelevant for two decades.

The last three firings have resulted in long rebuilds. Why would the fourth be any different?

You can call me stupid all you want. You are sticking up for a coach who has lost for 3 years with Shamorie Ponds. THAT IS DUMB
Circumstances have changed over the years. Good coaches win. Bad coaches don’t. Not the issue.
Just because you like this offensive System doesn’t mean it works. I can’t believe you would like the way This man tries to play defense

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
a culture of transferring (>40% of high school commits transfer by the end of their soph season),
One of the problems is that our % is higher.

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Say what you will but you can’t deny Lavin made this program relevant in little time. Given the challenges of our program I felt Lavin was the ideal coach for us. He can recruit with the best of them. Get him a good associate HC and we’re golden.

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »
Say what you will but you can’t deny Lavin made this program relevant in little time. Given the challenges of our program I felt Lavin was the ideal coach for us. He can recruit with the best of them. Get him a good associate HC and we’re golden.

I agree with almost all of this—st Johns was suddenly interesting and fun and had cache. He recruited for a year or two then gave up? Hard to say what happened there. Regardless the writing was on the wall that his initial success wasn’t sustainable when he wasn’t able to secure another top assistant.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
Lavin was the ideal coach for us.

I agree. Lavin was ideal for this mutt fan base. He sucked at coaching and was full of shit and to the extent that the SJ fan base deserves a good coach who's not full of shit it's too stupid to know what a good coach who's not full of shit is. And you're Exhibit A and you deserved him and you got him good and hard.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
I agree. Lavin was ideal for this mutt fan base. He sucked at coaching and was full of shit and to the extent that the SJ fan base deserves a good coach who's not full of shit it's too stupid to know what a good coach who's not full of shit is. And you're Exhibit A and you deserved him and you got him good and hard.
Ha ha

Foad

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
One of the problems is that our % is higher.

And the same thing will happen if we fire our 7th coach in 23 years.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
And the same thing will happen if we fire our 7th coach in 23 years.
Why? Does it happen at providence? Xavier? butler? DePaul?
Name one school

Johnny23

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
It's really not that hard. You don't need to get a Bobby Hurley although he would be a good hire. A Nate Oats type from a mid major that is killing it could be the better route. Not as much fanfare surrounding him which will allow him to just come in and do his job. Lay his framework out for the program and have a real system in place.

Just because we pick the wrong coaches doesn't mean they're not out there. Cragg seems like the type (I'm hoping from his years at Duke) that will look at all options out there and find a good coach regardless of his pedigree.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:04:25 PM by Johnny23 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »
I’ll take a full of shit coach over a buffoon any day. At which point does Mullin realize switching our small guard on the opponents bigs who take him in the post isn’t a good idea and maybe changes it? Not this genius, if you listen to him, he doesn’t believe many of the things that plague the team is an issue. We’ve been duped. It’s not going to get better cause the coach doesn’t see a problem. We just need to hit some shots. Really? That’s true for any team.