Time to go Chris & pals....

• 77 replies
Time to go Chris & pals....
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
If this team, with the one of the top 3 starting fives in the conference & a bench that played its best game... can’t beat a below average G-town team at home with 10 days to prepare & goes in the tank and misses the NCAA’s... it’s time for Mullin & his buddies(Richmond & St. Jean) to go. 

It’s becoming more and MORE obvious Mullin can’t coach his way out of a paper bag, Richmond is useless since he does ZERO recruiting & a 27 year old ex-NBA coach’s son, St. Jean is the one running the timeouts & drawing up the plays..🤬🙄😴... if I was the new AD I would fire all three of them & only keep Matty A around because he is the ONLY one on the staff keeping in touch & doing ANY recruiting at all.... I would give the new coach the option of keeping or firing him as well.

Let’s face it if u have TWO NBA HOF’ers on ur bench & still can’t close the deal with all but ONE five star recruit in four years.. why are they even here?... Love ya Chris, best SJU player ever but ur lazy, have NO one with any real college experience on ur staff & ur tying ur sneakers during the biggest timeout in the game yesterday.

i PRAY they turn it around for the teams sake & make me eat my words but I’m sure as Hell not counting on it..... and someone better tell Ponds he ain’t getting drafted when a 6’1 frosh EMBARASSES him in the last five minutes at MSG... and if u can’t guard him u ain’t getting anywhere near the NBA..lol

A REAL head coach would have grabbed Ponds Jersey HARD and asked him if he was really gonna let this FROSH punk him on his home floor & than told him take every shot if u have to down the stretch & only dish to wide open shooters on the wings if he drove down the lane.... but Mullin said & did NOTHING but clap his hands... this ain’t the NBA Chris u actually have to INSTRUCT these kids what to do in these situations..clapping does jack shit!

Haven’t been this embarrassed as an SJU fan since the Jarvis era.... as I’m sure many of the big money donors felt as well... turn this thing around or don’t let the door hit ur ass on the way out..😡🤨😒🤢

Foad

Re: Time to go Chris & pals....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
If this team, with the one of the top 3 starting fives in the conference & a bench that played its best game... can’t beat a below average G-town team at home with 10 days to prepare & goes in the tank and misses the NCAA’s... it’s time for Mullin & his buddies(Richmond & St. Jean) to go. 

It’s becoming more and MORE obvious Mullin can’t coach his way out of a paper bag, Richmond is useless since he does ZERO recruiting & a 27 year old ex-NBA coach’s son, St. Jean is the one running the timeouts & drawing up the plays..🤬🙄😴... if I was the new AD I would fire all three of them & only keep Matty A around because he is the ONLY one on the staff keeping in touch & doing ANY recruiting at all.... I would give the new coach the option of keeping or firing him as well.

Let’s face it if u have TWO NBA HOF’ers on ur bench & still can’t close the deal with all but ONE five star recruit in four years.. why are they even here?... Love ya Chris, best SJU player ever but ur lazy, have NO one with any real college experience on ur staff & ur tying ur sneakers during the biggest timeout in the game yesterday.

i PRAY they turn it around for the teams sake & make me eat my words but I’m sure as Hell not counting on it..... and someone better tell Ponds he ain’t getting drafted when a 6’1 frosh EMBARASSES him in the last five minutes at MSG... and if u can’t guard him u ain’t getting anywhere near the NBA..lol

A REAL head coach would have grabbed Ponds Jersey HARD and asked him if he was really gonna let this FROSH punk him on his home floor & than told him take every shot if u have to down the stretch & only dish to wide open shooters on the wings if he drove down the lane.... but Mullin said & did NOTHING but clap his hands... this ain’t the NBA Chris u actually have to INSTRUCT these kids what to do in these situations..clapping does jack shit!

Haven’t been this embarrassed as an SJU fan since the Jarvis era.... as I’m sure many of the big money donors felt as well... turn this thing around or don’t let the door hit ur ass on the way out..😡🤨😒🤢

fresh take

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
I like the intensity

Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
I would guess Matt A wouldn't stick around even if offered if Mullin is fired.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »

Hopefully he does but I agree he probably won't. The only coach earning his check.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
Having your assistant coach run the timeout is no big deal. It’s done in the NBA a lot and often assistants design the plays to be run after a time outs. People need to relax on that. The one true mistake the staff made during the game was the managing of time outs. They had none by the 8 minute mark in the second half. When Ponds stroll the ball in the closing moments and was on the floor you can tell he wanted to call time out but quickly remembered he didn’t have any left. He panicked and tied to pass it behind him when he could have just held on to it and force a jump ball where St. John’s would have possession. They will be alright , make the NCAA’s and go to the sweet sixteen. This is still a very dangerous team. Trust me. Greg Williams  will be key because he will add depth. He’s getting confident and he can really play, great on ball defender.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:54 PM »
Mahoney and Roberts made the NCAA tournament a combined one time.

Before St.John’s, Mahoney was 16-62 as a head coach at Manhattan.

Before St.John’s, Roberts was 24-84 as a head coach at Queens College.

Both are nice guys. Both were terrible coaches. Neither had presented any evidence that they could do the job for St.John’s by doing it anywhere else.

Yet, both were given the head coaching position at a BE University.

What did we do? We hired a head coach with no coaching experience anywhere. Why on earth did anyone expect that to work?

It would be great see Mullin turn this around. It’s certainly not impossible or even highly unlikely. The team is in a slump, and whether it’s because their pre season was poorly planned (which it obviously was) or because they’re tired, or injured, it all comes down to accountability. And the amateurs can’t be the ones who take the lion’s share of the blame.

No coach in the history of our conference has been this bad at the job and heard such little criticism.

Enough is enough.

Make the tournament this year,
or for Christ’s sake, go away.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:57:29 PM by Poison »

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 06:15:56 AM »

Matt gets a pass again? He has his hands in this mess too. He is supposed to be a recruiter and St Johns has 5 players who can play at this level. 2 players left during the season.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 07:27:52 AM »
If Matt A can get along with second recruiter, then he should stay, if not, see yah pal

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
If Matt A can get along with second recruiter, then he should stay, if not, see yah pal

He recruited a bottom 4 big east team

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
the talent hasn’t been the issue imo, it’s the coaching. Very similar to lavin teams outside year one, but really no coincidence, since neither can coach. We have no idea what a kid like Roberts could contribute because he stuck to bench. Maybe if Mullin didn’t suck as a coach, Matt a would be able to elevate the talent being brought in.

Johnny23

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »
So now talent's the issue? The one thing that was almost consensus was that this team was one of, if not, the most talented teams in the conference this year.

Clearly that is not the main problem, not even close. No need to keep moving the yardsticks.

This is on the staff and their inability to get the most out of this group and win games. Bottom line.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »
Luv the way this thread blasts the staff and then complains about the recruiting.  Any thought that recruits read these boards and all the negativity (deserved or not) has an impact on recruits decisions???

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Luv the way this thread blasts the staff and then complains about the recruiting.  Any thought that recruits read these boards and all the negativity (deserved or not) has an impact on recruits decisions???
Happens at every school. Happens on every fan board. Pretending that everything is great like many of you have for the past 3 years won’t change reality.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »

Shit post.

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »
So now talent's the issue? The one thing that was almost consensus was that this team was one of, if not, the most talented teams in the conference this year.

Clearly that is not the main problem, not even close. No need to keep moving the yardsticks.

This is on the staff and their inability to get the most out of this group and win games. Bottom line.

Does St Johns have anyone on the bench that could give quality minutes this year in Big East play? I don't see it. Including Keita
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:22:19 AM by Marco Baldi »

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
Does St Johns have anyone on the bench that could give quality minutes this year in Big East play? I don't see it. Including Keita

How about the 5 guys starting? Are they not part of the roster all of a sudden? Most on here claim they are the most talented starting 5 in the league. Top 3 starting 5 in the league, definitely.

Again talent is not the core issue here. If you want to knock the bench depth that's an entirely separate argument and that falls on Mullin as well as he is the HC.

For some reason we don't know how to recruit a normal, decent skilled big guy above 6'8. It's not allowed for some reason under the Mullin regime. Very bizarre as those types of kids are at mid majors all over the place but SJU can't get one. Odd. Anyhow I digress as again this is a separate issue although they are all related to the big issue which is Mullin's ability to turn this program around which he has yet to do.

We hire a Nate Oats type, keep the incoming class and we will be an NCAA team next year, not a doubt in my mind.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
How about the 5 guys starting? Are they not part of the roster all of a sudden? Most on here claim they are the most talented starting 5 in the league. Top 3 starting 5 in the league, definitely.

Again talent is not the core issue here. If you want to knock the bench depth that's an entirely separate argument and that falls on Mullin as well as he is the HC.

For some reason we don't know how to recruit a normal, decent skilled big guy above 6'8. It's not allowed for some reason under the Mullin regime. Very bizarre as those types of kids are at mid majors all over the place but SJU can't get one. Odd. Anyhow I digress as again this is a separate issue although they are all related to the big issue which is Mullin's ability to turn this program around which he has yet to do.

We hire a Nate Oats type, keep the incoming class and we will be an NCAA team next year, not a doubt in my mind.

I said bench. But 2 of the guys in the starting 5 would get minimal mins if any at all on an NCAA Tournament team. Which is why they are here

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
I said bench. But 2 of the guys in the starting 5 would get minimal mins if any at all on an NCAA Tournament team. Which is why they are here

Not as effective when it’s obvious you don’t believe what you’re typing.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
Not as effective when it’s obvious you don’t believe what you’re typing.

Huh?
Clark and Simon are nice players that should be coming off the bench. This team needs more talent to finish in top half of the conference