Time to go Chris & pals....

• 77 replies
Re: Time to go Chris & pals....
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
If this team, with the one of the top 3 starting fives in the conference & a bench that played its best game... can’t beat a below average G-town team at home with 10 days to prepare & goes in the tank and misses the NCAA’s... it’s time for Mullin & his buddies(Richmond & St. Jean) to go. 

It’s becoming more and MORE obvious Mullin can’t coach his way out of a paper bag, Richmond is useless since he does ZERO recruiting & a 27 year old ex-NBA coach’s son, St. Jean is the one running the timeouts & drawing up the plays..🤬🙄😴... if I was the new AD I would fire all three of them & only keep Matty A around because he is the ONLY one on the staff keeping in touch & doing ANY recruiting at all.... I would give the new coach the option of keeping or firing him as well.

Let’s face it if u have TWO NBA HOF’ers on ur bench & still can’t close the deal with all but ONE five star recruit in four years.. why are they even here?... Love ya Chris, best SJU player ever but ur lazy, have NO one with any real college experience on ur staff & ur tying ur sneakers during the biggest timeout in the game yesterday.

i PRAY they turn it around for the teams sake & make me eat my words but I’m sure as Hell not counting on it..... and someone better tell Ponds he ain’t getting drafted when a 6’1 frosh EMBARASSES him in the last five minutes at MSG... and if u can’t guard him u ain’t getting anywhere near the NBA..lol

A REAL head coach would have grabbed Ponds Jersey HARD and asked him if he was really gonna let this FROSH punk him on his home floor & than told him take every shot if u have to down the stretch & only dish to wide open shooters on the wings if he drove down the lane.... but Mullin said & did NOTHING but clap his hands... this ain’t the NBA Chris u actually have to INSTRUCT these kids what to do in these situations..clapping does jack shit!

Haven’t been this embarrassed as an SJU fan since the Jarvis era.... as I’m sure many of the big money donors felt as well... turn this thing around or don’t let the door hit ur ass on the way out..😡🤨😒🤢

a firing midseason doesn't benefit anyone. give this team the remainder of the season. jeez this entire board is in panic mode.  i think we should be concerned at 3-5, but don't capitulate. It is never too late to turn it around. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:21:20 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 06:01:25 PM »
Kinda weird how you always suggest that SJU players should do more of what they aren't good at. Clark's strength is clearly his 3 point shooting, he should be doing more of that and less driving considering he's not a great finisher in traffic.

Some people are still stuck on what the envisioned him doing a few years ago. Everyone wants this big athletic dude to punish the rim and opponents but that just isn’t his skill set. He should keep shooting like he did last game, they were falling earlier this season and will again.

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
Kinda weird how you always suggest that SJU players should do more of what they aren't good at. Clark's strength is clearly his 3 point shooting, he should be doing more of that and less driving considering he's not a great finisher in traffic.

Yes. He should be be shooting more 3s. My bad

Poison

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 08:24:35 PM »
Some people are still stuck on what the envisioned him doing a few years ago. Everyone wants this big athletic dude to punish the rim and opponents but that just isn’t his skill set. He should keep shooting like he did last game, they were falling earlier this season and will again.

Every player should get a pass for a few off nights. But this is our senior leader, and he plays defense like a freshman on his first day in the BE.

Georgetown only shot well because guys like Clark didn’t play defense.

We have 2/3 guys who hustle at a time on d, and our offense is like a break dance party where everyone gets a turn to do their thing. There was no unity on Sunday, and that is without question on the coach. Mullin kept playing the guys who were killing us. Simon needed to be benched. I’m not saying always, but his incredibly selfish play killed whatever chance we had in the second half. He played like he thought he was Dwayne Wade.

goredmen

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 08:25:11 PM »
Yes. He should be be shooting more 3s. My bad

Apology accepted

TONYD3

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Every player should get a pass for a few off nights. But this is our senior leader, and he plays defense like a freshman on his first day in the BE.

Georgetown only shot well because guys like Clark didn’t play defense.

We have 2/3 guys who hustle at a time on d, and our offense is like a break dance party where everyone gets a turn to do their thing. There was no unity on Sunday, and that is without question on the coach. Mullin kept playing the guys who were killing us. Simon needed to be benched. I’m not saying always, but his incredibly selfish play killed whatever chance we had in the second half. He played like he thought he was Dwayne Wade.
Simon played like he was coached to play. He is expected to take those shots. I didn’t think he was selfish. He wouldn’t take those shots under most coaches. That is the game plan here.
Ewing was EASILY able to get the matchup he wanted on offense. Simple ball screen. On defense their plan was to have Simon beat them.

wpc77

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 09:52:35 PM »
Simon played like he was coached to play. He is expected to take those shots. I didn’t think he was selfish. He wouldn’t take those shots under most coaches. That is the game plan here.
Ewing was EASILY able to get the matchup he wanted on offense. Simple ball screen. On defense their plan was to have Simon beat them.

Spot on.  He didn't get yanked because he was actually following the game plan.  The game plan sucks

Poison

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 12:10:22 AM »

In the first 14 games of the season, whenever a game was close, Ponds had the ball. On Sunday, he didn’t. Instead, Simon had it, and didn’t give it up no matter what. I don’t think anyone coached him into doing that, but why didn’t they put a stop to it by sitting him down? The bench is so thin, Mullin probably felt like he had no choice.

This season feels like a mirror image of 2014-2015 more and more every day.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »

You're out of your mind if you think Simon was coached to do that.

Mitch works with him posting up and playing close to the basket. Like everyone else he is allowed to drive when the situation is favorable to him, but his decision-making is awful and he doesn't have the skill to change direction once he makes a decision.

SJUFAN

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »
You're out of your mind if you think Simon was coached to do that.

This is an offensive system which allows the players free reign and no discipline on shot selection. So you maybe right when you say Simon wasn’t coached to do that. However it is clear that he isn’t being coached on what not to do. Therefore the result are the same and why this staff needs to reconsider their methodology.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:21:55 AM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
This is an offensive system which allows the players free reign and no discipline on shot selection. So you maybe right when you say Simon wasn’t coached to do that. However it is clear that he isn’t being coached on what not to do. Therefore the result are the same and why this staff needs to reconsider their methodology.

This is my issue with Mullin. He needs to rein in certain guys...it goes a long way. Jarvis would not let Simon shoot a three or live on the perimeter. He'd demand offensive rebounding.

Why was Keita in late? He can't shoot fts. Why is Simon allowed to pretend to be a guard when he's literally the worst perimeter player besides Keita in the rotation?

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Simon is the backup point and second ball handler when they want Ponds off the ball period. Dixon is gone.  There is nobody else.  LJ, Clarke or Heron are not going to be asked to do that.

Simon shot 47% from the field last year and is at the same pace this year. He shot 42% from three last season but his numbers are down to 27% this season and he had an awful game against Georgetown.  We and the team must hope he returns to form quickly.

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
Simon is the backup point and second ball handler when they want Ponds off the ball period. Dixon is gone.  There is nobody else.  LJ, Clarke or Heron are not going to be asked to do that.

Simon shot 47% from the field last year and is at the same pace this year. He shot 42% from three last season but his numbers are down to 27% this season and he had an awful game against Georgetown.  We and the team must hope he returns to form quickly.

Then when he is not playing backup pg he should get the hell off the perimeter!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »

Half of Simon's fgs are dunks, so don't get too confident with his FG%.

Simon could be 20-20 from three in a game and he's still the last guy on the roster I'd want taking a three late in a close game.

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »
Does St Johns have anyone on the bench that could give quality minutes this year in Big East play? I don't see it. Including Keita

Do we ever have a bench?
It's funny and sad at the same time.

SJUFAN

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
Then when he is not playing backup pg he should get the hell off the perimeter!
That would mean they wouldn’t be running a 5 out offense. The signs of a good coach is one who structures their system based on the individual players they have. That’s how you maximize the players potential. This staff has been running the same offense from day 1! It’s comical, and why our winning % has been what it has been.

It will be real interesting to see what type of system they run next year should Ponds/Heron leave. I don’t believe either should but feel Ponds may have hit his ceiling.

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
That would mean they wouldn’t be running a 5 out offense. The signs of a good coach is one who structures their system based on the individual players they have. That’s how you maximize the players potential. This staff has been running the same offense from day 1! It’s comical, and why our winning % has been what it has been.

It will be real interesting to see what type of system they run next year should Ponds/Heron leave. I don’t believe either should but feel Ponds may have hit his ceiling.

You can run a 5 out offense without having Simon stagnant on the perimeter.

I recognize that he has to play some point with Dixon gone. That is disgusting to me. Every team could use a Malik Boothe...hopefully next year we get one.

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »

I agree with a lot of what you wrote but I don’t think our offense is the problem. Some tweaks for sure but I don’t think we can look at our offense as a whole and say the staff has failed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:28:52 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »
Get on board with having real assistants, do more recruiting, get invested in learning X's and O's and implementing them, or hit the road.