Game 22: @Duke 12P (ESPN, 570 AM)

• 152 replies

TONYD3

Re: Game 22: @Duke 12P (ESPN, 570 AM)
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
Seen it for the last 3 years
You have said that. Haven’t noticed it this bad until today.

cjfish

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
Poor discipline after they fell behind. stopped running the offense, just heaving.  Team culture poor and that is on the staff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
Well we were never beating Duke. Would have liked a better showing. Don’t expect to win against Marq, but hopefully play better.

goredmen

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Everybody needs to take a step back and relax about this game. Losing by 30 on the road to a team with 3 top 10 picks and 4 1st rounders isn’t surprising even if it is disheartening. I don’t think you guys realize just how good this Duke team is.

Just have to flush this one down the toilet and get ready for Marquette and the rest of the BE schedule. It’s on the staff and players to make sure they put this behind them and move on

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2019, 02:53:13 PM »
This was the same duke team who beat uk by 50, now add in 2 more months of playing together and at home, so this type of game was always a possibly. Game will be forgotten in a few weeks, assuming we take care of business in conference.

The biggest takeaway I took was how exposed the team is with no depth at the guard spot, yet we play 5 guards. Forget about talent, it’s a non comparison, but when a good team takes ponds out of game, there is 0 ability to run an offense. Sju can overcome lack of size vs almost anyone, but 0 court leader without ponds might actually be the overall down fall of tournament hopes.

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2019, 02:59:54 PM »
Take heart. Way back when SJU lost by 40 to Kentucky, then beat them in the NCAA, making the final two, losing to Kansas.
Then again Duke may not lose a game this year,

TONYD3

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
Excuses will be made as usual around here. Our 1st round draft pick couldn’t even dribble the ball over half court.
Effort was non existent in the second half.
How many bad shots were taken?

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
This was the same duke team who beat uk by 50, now add in 2 more months of playing together and at home, so this type of game was always a possibly. Game will be forgotten in a few weeks, assuming we take care of business in conference.

The biggest takeaway I took was how exposed the team is with no depth at the guard spot, yet we play 5 guards. Forget about talent, it’s a non comparison, but when a good team takes ponds out of game, there is 0 ability to run an offense. Sju can overcome lack of size vs almost anyone, but 0 court leader without ponds might actually be the overall down fall of tournament hopes.

Four years to build a roster. We go 5 deep, no bigs and no back up for Ponds. Ponds and Heron should return next year, if they do that’s a lot of guards on the roster.

cjfish

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »
Next year should be excellent with Ponds and Herron playing their way out of any draft consideration.  Hope they are going to class.  Wonder what great nickname Ponds will get if he goes to China, he can be bigger than Fredette.

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »
Ponds is gone no matter what, imo. Someone will draft him late second round if draft was today. He is who he is, a small scoring guard, and no matter how long he plays college ball, that’s what he will stay. He will have his chance to regroup rest of way to get back to being early second round, but he is def gone.

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
Four years to build a roster. We go 5 deep, no bigs and no back up for Ponds. Ponds and Heron should return next year, if they do that’s a lot of guards on the roster.

Great job by the recruiting guru

SJUFAN

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
Great job by the recruiting guru

Matt’s done his job. The problem lies with the rest of the staff.

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 04:35:31 PM »
20 bad minutes against duke and guys are ready to throw Ponds to China. The lack of objectiveness is crazy. When Dixon left that left us with one guard, you can blame the staff for that all you like. If it’s not him handling the ball against that D we are turning it over so I’d rather go down swinging with our best guard in 30 years bringing the call up, of course he could have been better and perhaps cut some of the antics out but give me a break with this bs that he is hurting his stock by coming back and that he is all about himself.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
20 bad minutes against duke and guys are ready to throw Ponds to China. The lack of objectiveness is crazy. When Dixon left that left us with one guard, you can blame the staff for that all you like. If it’s not him handling the ball against that D we are turning it over so I’d rather go down swinging with our best guard in 30 years bringing the call up, of course he could have been better and perhaps cut some of the antics out but give me a break with this bs that he is hurting his stock by coming back and that he is all about himself.
We have played short handed for 2 years. That is certainly on the staff. 2 scholarship years for 7 minutes of Mikey Dixon, who wouldn’t have helped today because he isn’t good enough to play at this level.
2 guys are sitting out, 1 guy left, 2 recruits can’t play at all. That is on the staff. That is not normal for any other place except here.

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
Matt’s done his job. The problem lies with the rest of the staff.

Like you said, team goes 5 deep, no bigs and no backup PG. Where are the recruits?

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2019, 05:06:11 PM »
We have played short handed for 2 years. That is certainly on the staff. 2 scholarship years for 7 minutes of Mikey Dixon, who wouldn’t have helped today because he isn’t good enough to play at this level.
2 guys are sitting out, 1 guy left, 2 recruits can’t play at all. That is on the staff. That is not normal for any other place except here.

When they win they have such a talented roster that their coach shouldn’t get credit. When they lose they’re roster sucks so bad that the coach should get all the blame. Got it. We know how you feel, I’ve never once said mullin is a good coach. I can give credit and criticism and understand both sides of it. You’ve pretty much openly said you wish we would have lost some game this year to prove your stance.

Dan

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »

There's not much that can be said to you if you're going to use Mikey Dixon as a scapegoat

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
Like you said, team goes 5 deep, no bigs and no backup PG. Where are the recruits?

Matt brought in all of the transfers. St Jean and Richmond has brought in no one and Mullin hasn’t been able to close on our HS targets.

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2019, 05:33:15 PM »
Ponds played himself out of the draft today. Honestly he may have done that before today, but it would take a miracle to turn it around by March after today.

He's been physically owned by Khyri last year and McKnight and Jones this year. They are just too quick for him. His only good showing against a pro was against Brunson and Brunson got whatever he wanted on offense.

The size and short arms can be overcome but the lack of athletic ability and question marks about defense, effort, and maturity makes it very tough.

That badly missed dunk will be burned in the minds of GMs and scouts--and that is very unfair.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:34:27 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
There's not much that can be said to you if you're going to use Mikey Dixon as a scapegoat

If you got scapegoat from that then there’s not much that can be said to you Dan. Ponds played 20 brutal minutes at duke. AT DUKE. that’s it.