Game 22: @Duke 12P (ESPN, 570 AM)

• 152 replies
Re: Game 22: @Duke 12P (ESPN, 570 AM)
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2019, 04:26:20 AM »
19% from three and chalk up the L.  Only stat that matters for us.

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2019, 04:46:29 AM »
Matt brought in all of the transfers. St Jean and Richmond has brought in no one and Mullin hasn’t been able to close on our HS targets.
I think that we agree to the fact that Matt needs more help on recruiting.
I don´t think that the recruiting strategy is Matt only working on transfers (success) and Mullin on HS recruits (failure).
Look at 2019 class: it looks like Achiuwa is the only HS player that we are recruiting. What will happen if we don´t get him and some of our players will leave the team (draft, transfer)?  We will only get transfers again. And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again.
I hope that Ponds and Nate Tabor won´t be the exception. And Coach Mullin will keep the promise: going to HS gyms.

Johnny23

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
Matt is the only one doing any semblance of his job. It's not his fault that his work ethich isn;t shared by the rest of the staff.

Furthermore the buck starts and stops with the HC. Don't blame Matt for the HC's shortcomings. Matt's still out there trying to do his job which is commendable.

Foad

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
I don´t think that the recruiting strategy is Matt only working on transfers (success) and Mullin on HS recruits (failure).

Look at 2019 class: it looks like Achiuwa is the only HS player that we are recruiting. What will happen if we don´t get him and some of our players will leave the team (draft, transfer)?  We will only get transfers again. And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again.

I hope that Ponds and Nate Tabor won´t be the exception. And Coach Mullin will keep the promise: going to HS gyms.

You might not have noticed but Mullin doesn't play his freshmen, he essentially sits them out a year just like transfers sit out and the one freshman who's getting floor time this year they didn't find him by talking a ten cent subway to a HS gym in Queens.

It's not 1981 anymore. The talent in NYC is not what it once was and it's certainly not head and shoulders above everywhere else like it used to be and SJ - which was never an attractive destination even then and especially for most kids in NY - is a college basketball irrelevancy. If you think Mullin watching some HS basketball games is going to change that, it isn't.

TONYD3

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »
You might not have noticed but Mullin doesn't play his freshmen, he essentially sits them out a year just like transfers sit out and the one freshman who's getting floor time this year they didn't find him by talking a ten cent subway to a HS gym in Queens.

It's not 1981 anymore. The talent in NYC is not what it once was and it's certainly not head and shoulders above everywhere else like it used to be and SJ - which was never an attractive destination even then and especially for most kids in NY - is a college basketball irrelevancy. If you think Mullin watching some HS basketball games is going to change that, it isn't.
The justification of this man not doing his job has no limits. Patrick Ewing, Danny Hurley and Jeff capel, watch HS games. They had bare cupboards. Guess what they are filling them.
Transfer U was on full display yesterday. THEY QUIT

Poison

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »

Mullin doesn’t play his freshman? That is undeniably false. He’s played mostly freshman since he got here.

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »

The issue isn’t the land scape of HS recruiting has changed, the problem is the lack of effort by the staff, particularly Mullin, Richmond, and St Jean. There are still plenty of talent in the tri state area, and even if there isn’t you go where the talent is. They are being out worked and that is disappointing.

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »

This is one of the few times that I disagree to you.
The little time that both Roberts and Earlington are playing is not because they are freshmen. Remember they were not in any Top 200 list.
Ok, NYC doesn´t have so many good players like in the past. I understand that perhaps we can´t get now Moses Brown or Cole Anthony. But why not interest in players like Jose Alvarado or Keith Williams (11 ppg as sophomore in Cincinnati)?
I think that it is important that Coach Mullin will attend games and speak to the recruits (see Andre Curbelo). ALL the coaches make it. Why not our Coach?

Foad

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »
You buwwied me and hurt my wittle feewings and wuined basketbaw for me, waa waa waa.

Foad

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2019, 01:12:50 PM »
Mullin doesn’t play his freshman? That is undeniably false. He’s played mostly freshman since he got here.

Not surprisingly you're completely wrong. In four years Mussini, Ellison, Yakwe, Ponds, Lovett and Trimble have played more than 15 minutes a game and most of those were out of necessity.

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »

When he has a choice, he doesn't. We run a very complex defensive scheme and most of these HS kids can't handle it.  Hell, Dixon couldn't handle it as a redshirt soph in his third year of college. Williams can and he plays.

It's like pass-protection for rookie RB's...that is what keeps more of them on the bench than anything else.  Any rookie can run the ball and most can catch it naturally. 

Foad

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »
There are still plenty of talent in the tri state area

There are 11 players from NY in the entire BE.

They are being out worked and that is disappointing.

You know that how?

TONYD3

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

No foady the more i spoke with you and the rest of the mullintards, the more I hated your boy. Couldn’t enjoy the game. For a time I thought maybe the players could overcome coach Mullins. I was mistaken. Your guy is even worse then even I thought.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:26:01 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
No foady the more i spoke with you and the rest of the mullintards, the more I hated your boy. Couldn’t enjoy the game. For a time I thought maybe the players could overcome coach Mullins. I was mistaken. Your guy is even worse then even I thought.

What should he of done then, Coach Wooden?  Please be specific.

Foad

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »
The little time that both Roberts and Earlington are playing is not because they are freshmen. Remember they were not in any Top 200 list.

I don't care about lists. Mullin plays his better players. Outside of teams that reload every year with NBA players like Duke and Kentucky and gifted players like Ponds, freshman are rarely better than upperclassmen. So they sit and learn the system, such as it is.

Ok, NYC doesn´t have so many good players like in the past. I understand that perhaps we can´t get now Moses Brown or Cole Anthony. But why not interest in players like Jose Alvarado or Keith Williams (11 ppg as sophomore in Cincinnati)?

I don't follow recruiting but it seems to me that Jose Alvarado is a six foot point guard, of which we already had two who were better than him. Williams final three were all in the midwest and of those three he picked Cinncinati, which offers god knows what they offer  their recruits, Cronin having studied at Pitino's feet. They landed Lance Stephenson for goodness sake. Besides which you seem to think that this all a one way street, that if you offer they will come. In a good year even Lou would only get a couple of prime NYC players. Frankly I don't understand why anyone attends St John's, much less a desirable basketball player with myriad other options.

I think that it is important that Coach Mullin will attend games and speak to the recruits (see Andre Curbelo). ALL the coaches make it. Why not our Coach?

It is important for Mullin to attend games for worthwhile recruits where his presence will make a difference in their recruitment. It's not important that he sit around smelly gyms watching bad basketball players play bad basketball. And anyway, they clearly have a non traditional idea on how to fill a roster and so far it's been working: this team is as talented as any team there's been in a while. They've been less successful than anyone would have hoped wins and loss wise, but that's not because they haven't recruited enough three star players from NYC.

Foad

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »

Poison

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Not surprisingly you're completely wrong. In four years Mussini, Ellison, Yakwe, Ponds, Lovett and Trimble have played more than 15 minutes a game and most of those were out of necessity.

I sure hope they get the guy who is responsible for so many players leaving.

SJUFAN

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
There are 11 players from NY in the entire BE.

You know that how?

There are plenty of highly rated players from the NY area who plays in other conferences. Point is regardless of whether the players are from NY or Texas, the staffs presence on the recruiting trail has been minimal and that is common knowledge.

Foad

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
There are plenty of highly rated players from the NY area who plays in other conferences.

According to https://future150.com there were six top 100 players from NY in 2018.

Moses Brown (#22 UCLA) and Isaiah Mucius (#38 WF), Cormac Ryan (#55, Stanford, nerd), Sidney Wilson (#68, SJU briefly), Markquis Nowell (#86, Little Rock, no really, Little Rock) and Khalid Moore to (#98 G Tech.)

In 2019 Cole Anthony, my Precious, Jalen Lecque (NC St), and Aidan Igiehon (to the Louisville Hookers) are in the top 50.

I don't know which of those guys you think the staff didn't recruit or why you'd think they'd consider SJU, but the answers are none and a couple.

Point is regardless of whether the players are from NY or Texas, the staffs presence on the recruiting trail has been minimal and that is common knowledge.

I don't believe in common knowledge. In fact I think that all common knowledge is a lie and the louder and more often it's repeated the more false it is and that's especially true regarding fan board rumors from desperate for attention alleged program insiders.

Foad

« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
I sure hope they get the guy who is responsible for so many players leaving.

Non-sequitur noted.