Rank St. John's Best Players since Ron Artest

• 50 replies
Re: Rank St. John's Best Players since Ron Artest
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »
I don’t get the ranking for Harkless. He did practically nothing here. He’s on par with Mussini as a St.John’s player.

Who did Harkless beat? Voting for him as a prospect makes sense, but not as a St.John’s player.

He scored the most points ever in a BE debut surpassing all-time conference greats like Allen Iverson, Derrick Coleman, Kerry Kittles and Rudy Gay or something like that.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 01:28:19 AM »
No order

Hatten
Hardy
Harrison
Ponds
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:28:34 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 08:31:28 AM »
I don’t get the ranking for Harkless. He did practically nothing here. He’s on par with Mussini as a St.John’s player.

Who did Harkless beat? Voting for him as a prospect makes sense, but not as a St.John’s player.

Big East Rookie of the Year, dropping 30 pts with 13 rebounds at Duke and many other good games. He was a great player. Yes, he was not here long, but when he was here he was a great player and was a first rounder for us. I would take him over anyone since Ron Artest. If he stayed 4 years (we all knew he wouldn't) but if - you would see him near top of scoring list with D'Angelo and Mullin and likely more awards barring injury.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Hardy
3. Shamorie
4. D-Lo
5. DJ
6. Sir’Dom
7. Daryl Hill
8. Sampson
9. Lamont Hamilton
10. Justin Brownlee
11. Harkless
12. Mason Jr
13. Greene
14. Horne

I’m probably overlooking someone 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Ponds
3. Hardy
4. DJ
5. Harrison

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Hardy
3. Shamorie
4. D-Lo
5. DJ
6. Sir’Dom
7. Daryl Hill
8. Sampson
9. Lamont Hamilton
10. Justin Brownlee
11. Harkless
12. Mason Jr
13. Greene
14. Horne

Hardy over Ponds is insane. He couldn’t cover anyone and he wasn’t half the PG Ponds was. He just played with 65 upperclassmen.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
He scored the most points ever in a BE debut surpassing all-time conference greats like Allen Iverson, Derrick Coleman, Kerry Kittles and Rudy Gay or something like that.

Not impressed. Best wins that season were West Virginia, Providence, ND and Lehigh.

If people want to acknowledge that he was a great prospect, that makes sense, but he was overwhelmed when he went up against Kentucky, SU, UConn, Louisville etc.

Omar Cook made Kentucky cry.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
Big East Rookie of the Year, dropping 30 pts with 13 rebounds at Duke and many other good games. He was a great player. Yes, he was not here long, but when he was here he was a great player and was a first rounder for us. I would take him over anyone since Ron Artest. If he stayed 4 years (we all knew he wouldn't) but if - you would see him near top of scoring list with D'Angelo and Mullin and likely more awards barring injury.

He was very promising, but great is ridiculous. Duke was never in danger of losing that game. In the BE, he got destroyed night in, night out. Glad he’s working in the NBA, but he was nothing more than a promising rookie here.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Hardy
3. Shamorie
4. D-Lo
5. DJ
6. Sir’Dom
7. Daryl Hill
8. Sampson
9. Lamont Hamilton
10. Justin Brownlee
11. Harkless
12. Mason Jr
13. Greene
14. Horne

Great list, glad you included Showtime. Before he got hurt, he was the heir to Hatten.

redslope

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
Ponds is number one in my book.  H&H were both Juco's so their achievements should be looked at Pond's this year as that makes age/experience equivalent.  Ponds is shooting better than Hatten who was a bit of a chuckker.  Career wise he has the top two shot attempts per season in SJU history and his %ages are lower than Ponds.  Ponds can't match him in steals but has less turnovers and more assists.  Hardy was a full time starter as a senior only.  He did not match Ponds in his senior year stats as he had a negative Assist to t/o ration, less rebounds and steals for that season than Ponds has had to date as a junior.  H&H were exciting players but Ponds is better IMHO.

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Ponds
3. Hardy
4. Kennedy
5. Harrison

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 09:17:21 PM »
Did some of you guys not see Erick Barkley and Bootsy Thornton play?

They were the best backcourt I’ve ever seen at St.John’s. They beat the defending champs (UConn) three times in one season. Won at Duke - a 19 year old steak.

I love Harrison, but he never won anything in the post season. Barkley and Bootsy beat the living hell out of Indiana and Maryland.

It’s ironic because if there’s one guy who just didn’t play his game vs Ohio State it was Ron Artest. Sad to see him go out on such a stinker. It’s so not the player he was here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:29:34 PM by Poison »

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
Hardy over Ponds is insane. He couldn’t cover anyone and he wasn’t half the PG Ponds was. He just played with 65 upperclassmen.

I think ultimately he passes him but go back to Hardy’s dominance in conference and he led them to the dance. If DJ doesn’t go down that team could have went deep.

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
Did some of you guys not see Erick Barkley and Bootsy Thornton play?

They were the best backcourt I’ve ever seen at St.John’s. They beat the defending champs (UConn) three times in one season. Won at Duke - an 19 year old steak.

I love Harrison, but he never won anything in the post season. Barkley and Bootsy beat the living hell out of Indiana and Maryland.

It’s ironic because if there’s one guy who just didn’t play his game vs Ohio State it was Ron Artest. Sad to see him go out on such a stinker. It’s so not the player he was here.

Before my time as a St John’s fan. Where would you stack them?

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
Never saw Bootsy play and my first St. John’s game was Barkley’s 99-00 season I was 9 Can’t give the right insight for him LOL 😂

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:49 AM »
Barkley was the bomb and drove a nice Suv.

The reason he and Bootsy aren't rated higher is that the collective whole was so good that  the individual gets undervalued. Four of them in one starting lineup, Barkley - Bootsy - Artest - Postell, were sensational.

When one man is carrying a heavier load, Hatten - Cook - Ponds, he gets more credit.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »
He was very promising, but great is ridiculous. 

30+ on multiple occasions for a freshmen is not promising - it's promise realized.

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
IMO, Barkley was the best PG St. John’s has ever had. That team was so good. We lacked depth and size but they were tough. If Grant didn’t get hurt we make the final four.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
Barkley was the bomb and drove a nice Suv.

The reason he and Bootsy aren't rated higher is that the collective whole was so good that  the individual gets undervalued. Four of them in one starting lineup, Barkley - Bootsy - Artest - Postell, were sensational.

When one man is carrying a heavier load, Hatten - Cook - Ponds, he gets more credit.

Hatten and Cook had very little help. Especially offensively. No one could shoot consistently.

Ponds has Mustapha Heron and LJ Figueroa. He’s not alone.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »

This is where I rank players post Artest’s arrival in 98-99.

1.Hatten
2.Barkley
3.Ponds
4.Bootsy
5.Cook
—————-
6.Hardy
7.Harrison
8.Kennedy
9.Brownlee
10.Glover

Barkley was a great point guard. He needed more time in college and he needed to get stronger, but there was no college guard that could contain him. Ponds is a great overall player, but no STJ player was better at making everyone around him better. That’s worth a lot. Hatten was amazing, but he was not a point guard. Glover really missed that last two years.

Bootsy took over at the 2 after Lopez graduated and he was better than him from day one. Much smarter player. You’d barely notice him for 10 minutes and then you’d look up and he’d have 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 assists.