All-time great Johnny backcourt

• 16 replies
All-time great Johnny backcourt
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
1) Jackson/Mullin - Chris forward size for the era; early prototype of large guard of today
2) Barkley/Bootsy
3) Harvey/Porter
4) Mcquire/Nolan - Don't know Nolan but figure Dick and anybody should be in
5) Carter/Rencher
6) Ponds/Simon 
7) Hardy/Horne
8) Harrison/Greene
9) Cook/Shaw
10) Whoever's at guard next year

Re: All-time great Johnny backcourt
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:23:24 AM »
Interesting debate. Curious to see other's thoughts.

Where is Geno + Wright?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
I’d be interested to see how successful Hardy and Horne would’ve been in this system, Hardy with more space to drive and Horne with more opportunities for 3’s.

This years backcourt is interesting, I think a case could be made for Simon or Heron. Simon’s defense makes up for Ponds and Ponds’ offense makes up for Simon’s.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »
Kovac, Loughery, Burke

Foad

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
Interesting debate. Curious to see other's thoughts.

Where is Geno + Wright?

In chronological order:

Utley /Williams
Carter/Rencher
Moses/Mullin
Barkley/Thornton

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »
I’d be interested to see how successful Hardy and Horne would’ve been in this system, Hardy with more space to drive and Horne with more opportunities for 3’s.

This years backcourt is interesting, I think a case could be made for Simon or Heron. Simon’s defense makes up for Ponds and Ponds’ offense makes up for Simon’s.

I never quite understood why Horne shot so much less from the perimeter as an upperclassman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/paris-horne-1.html

After his sophomore year I thought he was gonna make a huge jump.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
I never quite understood why Horne shot so much less from the perimeter as an upperclassman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/paris-horne-1.html

After his sophomore year I thought he was gonna make a huge jump.

Me to, some may forget how much he improved for his soph year, over 14 a game. But he played his role great as a senior.

Also weird, Horne didn’t start 13 of teams 33 games his senior year, I would have thought he started all of them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:20 PM »
In chronological order:

Utley /Williams
Carter/Rencher
Moses/Mullin
Barkley/Thornton

Mel Utley and Glenn Willaims two of my all time fav Johnnies. Both were do it all guards.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
Johnny Warren, Carmine Calzonetti  and Joe DePre were a nice trio.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
Jackson/Mullin
Phil/D'Angelo/Sheed
Dwight/Paris

Forget the extracurricular nonsense for a second- Sheed had to be one of the most talented players we have ever had. Such wasted potential. I will never forget what he did to Nova and in the big games.

redslope

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »
Frankie Alagia and Glen Williams  (how can a guy named Carmine forget a fellow paisan)--one of the assist guys in our history and one of the 10 ten scorers in our history before there was a shot clock and a 3 point basket.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:45:57 AM »
Frankie Alagia and Glen Williams  (how can a guy named Carmine forget a fellow paisan)--one of the assist guys in our history and one of the 10 ten scorers in our history before there was a shot clock and a 3 point basket.

That is an embarrassingly bad omission. 

Also, as another poster correctly pointed out, I left out all-time Carmine fav Joe DePre because I couldn't recall if he had any capable running mates. Should have included him and Calzonetti for name sake alone.

sju89tr

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
Obviously Jackson/Mullin but I loved Porter and Boo tandem 

Foad

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Obviously Jackson/Mullin

Not that obvious. Mike Moses was 3rd team all BE in 85. In the one game SJ beat G'town that year he played 27 minutes to Jackson's 13; in the three losses they split minutes. The only other loss, to mighty Niagara, Moses didn't play.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
11) Seiden/Alfieri
12) Schaeffer/Cluess - Don't know Cluess but figure Billy and anybody should be in and that maybe this Greg Cluess is a relation of the Iona coach.

How come I wasn't reprimanded by the oldtimers for leaving this obvious choice off the list?

Al Seiden's pre shot clock era scoring numbers were sensational and these two are described in the St. John's media guide as 'They played as if joined at the hip and with a boundless joy'.  Schaeffer shot 59 and 60% from the field in consecutive seasons while putting up big numbers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:23:36 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
11) Seiden/Alfieri
12) Schaeffer/Cluess

How come I wasn't reprimanded by the oldtimers for leaving this obvious #11 choice off the lists. Al Seiden's pre shot clock era scoring numbers were sensational.  Schaeffer shot 59 and 60% from the field.
Schaefer's senior year was my freshman year and he did not play guard. Cannot speak to his soph and junior years.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »
Schaefer's senior year was my freshman year and he did not play guard. Cannot speak to his soph and junior years.

He's listed as a guard on internet rosters and I remember him as a guard with the Nets.

*Maybe you're right.  I see him listed at 6' 5" and apparently he had a lot of rebounds.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:29:23 AM by carmineabbatiello »