Game 24: Providence, High Noon (CBSS, 570 AM)

• 100 replies

goredmen

Re: Game 24: Providence, High Noon (CBSS, 570 AM)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
Good thing they had a players only meeting to discuss their inconsistency

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 02:05:35 PM »
Plenty of blame to go around on this one.

-To not call one time out during the second half is an egregious mistake.

-I wish our center would call a players only meeting to discuss rebounding better. Check that, rebound at all.

-Dixon was a defensive liability but he was our offensive insurance. One of our 5 starters get hurt or foul trouble and our offense becomes so much easier to guard.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Dan

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
they are so predictable

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
Good thing they had a players only meeting to discuss their inconsistency
They are consistent. Consistently inconsistent.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
Obviously we’re all disappointed. This isn’t on any one player. As a team we just didn’t get after it.

Providence is boxing out on every single shot, and they move while we’re all just standing around.

Our offense didn’t manufacture shots. We had to know that eventually the Ponds one on five show would end. It did today.

The only bright spot was Josh Roberts. He gets in there and works. Good for him. He should get some of Keita’s minutes.

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
Not a coincidence that Keita or Roberts were on the court for 33 of the 40 mins and the team only scored 56 points. This team can't survive having a complete nonentity on the floor offensively. Add Simon to the mix and you have 2 guys on the floor that can't shoot jump shots. Cooley practically didn't even guard Simon unless he had below the free throw line. This offense depends on spacing to succeed and Cooley did a good job taking that away even though it's not that hard against that lineup.

Also, what in the world has this staff been thinking with Keita > Roberts up until today. Keita gives this team next to nothing. At least Roberts provides energy and athleticism that Keita doesn't have. Roberts also seems to know his limitations more. Anytime Keita gets the ball with his back to the basket and doesn't immediately pass it, it's going to result in a turnover or him wildly firing the ball off the backboard. He's worse than Obekpa. It's infuriating

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
Words of wisdom. Never bet on St. John's at MSG. Good day today with Marquette vs Nova and Duke vs UVA coming up

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
Not a coincidence that Keita or Roberts were on the court for 33 of the 40 mins and the team only scored 56 points. This team can't survive having a complete nonentity on the floor offensively. Add Simon to the mix and you have 2 guys on the floor that can't shoot jump shots. Cooley practically didn't even guard Simon unless he had below the free throw line. This offense depends on spacing to succeed and Cooley did a good job taking that away even though it's not that hard against that lineup.

Also, what in the world has this staff been thinking with Keita > Roberts up until today. Keita gives this team next to nothing. At least Roberts provides energy and athleticism that Keita doesn't have. Roberts also seems to know his limitations more. Anytime Keita gets the ball with his back to the basket and doesn't immediately pass it, it's going to result in a turnover or him wildly firing the ball off the backboard. He's worse than Obekpa. It's infuriating

Pretty ballsy for Alibegovic, I mean Keita, to call a player’s only meeting. Maybe he’ll walk out of MSG today with his own Sharpie ready to sign autographs.

wpc77

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »
Who the #$%^ is the big man coach? The 5'4" assistant who chats with the Italian guy the whole game? St Jean? Mitch? WTF!

Poison

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »
Who the #$%^ is the big man coach? The 5'4" assistant who chats with the Italian guy the whole game? St Jean? Mitch? WTF!

I’ve been asking that question for years now. Keita looked lost. But to his credit, Josh Roberts was good today.

Where the hell has he been?

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »

The Patriots won the Super Bowl because the coaching staff changed the way they played in the playoffs to a run oriented offensive attack. Mullin runs this 5 out offense and doesn’t have the horses to play it good consistently. Yet he still runs it. There are no adjustments. The only players that can take their defender off the dribble is Ponds and Heron. With today’s lineup Providence can help off two players (Simon and Keita). I would have liked to have seen some pick and rolls between Simon and Keita to negate the help. They have to stay on Ponds, Clarke, and LJ which should create some open space for the pick and roll. If they help, Simon could find the open man. It may work a few times until Providence adjusts or maybe not at all but damn it try something different!

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
The Patriots won the Super Bowl because the coaching staff changed the way they played in the playoffs to a run oriented offensive attack. Mullin runs this 5 out offense and doesn’t have the horses to play it good consistently. Yet he still runs it. There are no adjustments. The only players that can take their defender off the dribble is Ponds and Heron. With today’s lineup Providence can help off two players (Simon and Keita). I would have liked to have seen some pick and rolls between Simon and Keita to negate the help. They have to stay on Ponds, Clarke, and LJ which should create some open space for the pick and roll. If they help, Simon could find the open man. It may work a few times until Providence adjusts or maybe not at all but damn it try something different!

Mullin didn’t make adjustments. He didn’t call a TO in the second half. With 4 minutes left, he takes Ponds out.

Cooley ate him alive.

Coaches coach. Fans yell at the refs during a poorly played game. Mullin is a fan. It’s that simple.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:25:54 PM by Poison »

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 03:30:57 PM »
As I stated on another thread, Mullin is not the long term answer. I want this team to make tourney, and still believe they do. However, big picture, guy shouldn’t be here past next year unless he accepts that he needs major help.

cjfish

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
apparently this team can not play at noon.  Terrible offense, ball movement minimal.  Ponds had an average game at best when, with Herron out, a big game was needed.  The rest of the team was awful.  Roberts the only bright spot, played well, hustled, rebounded, blocked a few.  He was wide open for easy one step dunks a number of times when his teammates, Ponds primarily,  ignored him which is a big problem.  Im obviously not saying he should be a focal point but I will take open dunks.  Give it to him, he wont trip. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
-Dixon was a defensive liability but he was our offensive insurance. One of our 5 starters get hurt or foul trouble and our offense becomes so much easier to guard.

To me the most that bothered me about that was the staff should have known that before they offered him a scholarship. We are playing short handed and then the transfer player isn’t what the staff likes? That hurts when that’s your primary mode of recruiting.

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »
To me the most that bothered me about that was the staff should have known that before they offered him a scholarship. We are playing short handed and then the transfer player isn’t what the staff likes? That hurts when that’s your primary mode of recruiting.

He was getting close to 20 min a game. Wish he would have stuck it out past the two BE games he didn’t get I minutes in but I understand the timing of his transfer made sense for him eligibility wise.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
He was getting close to 20 min a game. Wish he would have stuck it out past the two BE games he didn’t get I minutes in but I understand the timing of his transfer made sense for him eligibility wise.

There has to be more to it than his defense giving his offensive ability. Clarke plays 30+ minutes a game and his defense is terrible.

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 07:08:29 PM »
The good. We are tied for 3rd place.
The Bad. We are 1.5 games out of last place. We are 0-2 against the bottom 3 teams with 4 more games remaining to play the bottom 3 teams.
The ugly. We could finish in last place.

If before the season began you were told that after 11 games into league play we would be 5-6 and 1.5 games out of last place would you have thought we were having a good season?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:09:35 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »

The problem is really more of a collective attitude towards the staff starting with Sima. A boatload of players don’t believe they should stay at St.John’s.

Dixon is just another in a long line of St.John’s players who transferred. In his case it shouldn’t come as such a big surprise because he’s already transferred once.

The NCAA actually has a rule in place that may benefit the player transferring if he does it before the spring semester starts, but I really think this is a terrible rule.

Dixon gets to enroll in a new school, and play beginning in Jan 2020, but what about the team he’s left behind? They’re just screwed. Dixon should absolutely be allowed to transfer, but encouraging college kids to quit and make a selfish decision is awful. He should still have to sit out a full college basketball season. The incentive to be a quitter needs to be removed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:25:51 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Like I said, 4-4 over the last 8 is the most likely outcome. Not sure why several were feeling almost overconfident that this team would suddenly go on a tear down the stretch. Their entire conf season suggests the exact opposite. A .500, up and down team. No gimmes left on the schedule with this team.