Game 24: Providence, High Noon (CBSS, 570 AM)

• 100 replies
Re: Game 24: Providence, High Noon (CBSS, 570 AM)
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Badly played game. Very disappointing. This season they’ve had too many stinkers at home against teams they should handle. Was hoping that DePaul and Georgetown would be aberrations, but it’s starting to look like a pattern that may take them out of tourney contention.  Squarely on the bubble (probably on the right side at the moment), and unfortunately can see it going either way at this point. Hopefully they turn it around as there’s no good reason to keep this coaching staff if they don’t make the tourney this year.

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
I was at the garden yesterday afternoon, the amount of Providence fans was surprising and sickening. Where was the support? Fans were pretty silent all game. I understand the team has to give them something to cheer about but we didn't show up. The product on the court was sickening...no idea why this team is SO jeckyll and hyde

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 03:18:55 PM »
I was at the garden yesterday afternoon, the amount of Providence fans was surprising and sickening. Where was the support? Fans were pretty silent all game. I understand the team has to give them something to cheer about but we didn't show up. The product on the court was sickening...no idea why this team is SO jeckyll and hyde
It was a good crowd. Seemed to 80 percent full. Didn’t notice any providence fans until the last few minutes of the game when we officially quit.
MSG is not the problem. Fans are not the problem.
This team isn’t Jekyll and Hyde. They are soft. They can beat other soft teams.
Tough teams give them trouble.

SJUFAN

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
no idea why this team is SO jeckyll and hyde

Maybe...possibly...could be...the coaching? I want this staff to succeed. I want Mullin to succeed. I want this program to succeed. But we can’t continue to defend or justify the product we have seen on the court the past 4 seasons. We can continue to Hope or Believe things will improve, but it’s also possible that this is what we should expect out of our coach.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Maybe...possibly...could be...the coaching? I want this staff to succeed. I want Mullin to succeed. I want this program to succeed. But we can’t continue to defend or justify the product we have seen on the court the past 4 seasons. We can continue to Hope or Believe things will improve, but it’s also possible that this is what we should expect out of our coach.

Mullin deserves to be evaluated with an objective eye. People meant well when they championed him for head coach. It was irresponsible but certainly in character for St.John’s, and their consistently bad judgement.

The University needs to stop hiring people to get their feet wet here.

Lavin wasn’t perfect, and he wasn’t even a good coach, but by comparison, he was better because he’s done the job before.

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Mullin deserves to be evaluated with an objective eye. People meant well when they championed him for head coach. It was irresponsible but certainly in character for St.John’s, and their consistently bad judgement.

The University needs to stop hiring people to get their feet wet here.

Lavin wasn’t perfect, and he wasn’t even a good coach, but by comparison, he was better because he’s done the job before.

Was traveling and missed the game yesterday, obviously disappointed with the result.

To say Lavin was better is just kinda silly. Based on the roster we have, it seems there’s a decent chance we have teams in the tourney in back to back years. Mullin’s teams have shown a lack of consistency, that much is clear but he has also balanced the roster and truly filling it with guys that fit his desired style.

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Was traveling and missed the game yesterday, obviously disappointed with the result.

To say Lavin was better is just kinda silly. Based on the roster we have, it seems there’s a decent chance we have teams in the tourney in back to back years. Mullin’s teams have shown a lack of consistency, that much is clear but he has also balanced the roster and truly filling it with guys that fit his desired style.

If the roster was balanced, then our depth this season wouldn't be so thin. 

Next season without Ponds, and possibly Heron, Simon and Clark, then you're looking at a 9th or 10th place team. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »
To say Lavin was better is just kinda silly.

What metric are you using that would indicate that suggestion is silly? Please I’m all ears.

SJUFAN

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »

Next season without Ponds, and possibly Heron, Simon and Clark, then you're looking at a 9th or 10th place team. 

I don’t think people are realizing what this team could look like next year and it will not be better than this years team.

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »

I imagine Simon will stay. Look at the scholarship breakdown by class and tell me that isn’t the most balanced roster we’ve had in a decade.

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
I imagine Simon will stay. Look at the scholarship breakdown by class and tell me that isn’t the most balanced roster we’ve had in a decade.

Simon may not stay, but if our season goes down the toilet then there is a chance Simon may elect to go elsewhere for his final season as a 5th year player. 

The roster may be slightly more balanced, but there's nothing that screams "we're gonna make a leap forward."  Not to mention, this current roster is unbalanced.   Next year's roster without the personnel mentioned (you can even include Simon on the roster) is a bottom-rung Big East team (it's highly possible Ponds and Heron will bolt). 

You don't get rid of a coach, and five years later you're still participating in the first night of Big East conference tournament games.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:19:06 PM by mjdinkins »

Johnny23

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 06:28:41 PM »
Simon may not stay, but if our season goes down the toilet then there is a chance Simon may elect to go elsewhere for his final season as a 5th year player. 

The roster may be slightly more balanced, but there's nothing that screams "we're gonna make a leap forward."  Not to mention, this current roster is unbalanced.   Next year's roster without the personnel mentioned (you can even include Simon on the roster) is a bottom-rung Big East team (it's highly possible Ponds and Heron will bolt). 

You don't get rid of a coach, and five years later you're still participating in the first night of Big East conference tournament games.

Not to mention that all those teams having a a down or rebuilding year (G'town, Providence, Butler) will be significantly better next year.

This was the year for SJU to break through in a big way with a soft schedule and weaker than normal BE.

With everything lined up for them, they are still squarely on the fence to make the tourney. Not a good look for the staff.

goredmen

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:05 PM »

I understand what you’re saying and agree that as it stands now next year’s roster is shaping up to to be significantly weaker than this year’s assuming Ponds and Heron leave which all indications are that they will.

However, if we were projecting what the next season’s roster was going to look like 365 days ago we wouldn’t have even come close. Heron and LJ weren’t even on the radar last February and Owens was expected to be here despite the rumors.

Who knows what will happen between now and the summer in regards to next season’s roster. Maybe we luckbox our way into two starters that aren’t currently on the radar again. Maybe there will be another unexpected departure or decommittment that will make the roster worse. Too early to tell either way

Foad

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »

Yeah, no. Mullin's been the coach for 3.5 years not five and SJ is currently in 3rd place in the BE which does not equal, carry the one, a play in game. In those 3.5 years starting with nothing Mullin has won two less post season games than dopey mentally ill Steve Lavin (an impressive 2-9 in the post season) won in five and Lavin inherited a tournament team, not the garbage he recruited in his last couple of years. Nobody's not happy with the way the season has turned out - except the anti fans - but there's no reason to gild the lily, by which I mean lie, as you're doing here.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
Yeah, no. Mullin's been the coach for 3.5 years not five and SJ is currently in 3rd place in the BE which does not equal, carry the one, a play in game. In those 3.5 years starting with nothing Mullin has won two less post season games than dopey mentally ill Steve Lavin (an impressive 2-9 in the post season) won in five and Lavin inherited a tournament team, not the garbage he recruited in his last couple of years. Nobody's not happy with the way the season has turned out - except the anti fans - but there's no reason to gild the lily, by which I mean lie, as you're doing here.
l

Sure....  I'm lying.  You're the mentally ill one, you bigoted pussy.

Do you even work, unbalanced one?  This your post from Redmen in reference to Owens' dad....  You #$%^in' putz.

"Is you be receibing sub par returns from youse 6 foots 11 inches sons? There's can be ways you can's be receiving above averages returns. Ifs so, subscribeses to my seminars. Because I's be buying houses. Also I's currently be lovings those whose be lovings me and ams getting me's some moneys becuz I's be planning to be's retired in 5 years."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:02:07 PM by mjdinkins »

wpc77

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
Uh.

What?

Wow

Poison

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:28 PM »

Funny, when Lavin took over for Roberts, no one said that he inherited a tournament team.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
l

Sure....  I'm lying.  You're the mentally ill one, you bigoted pussy.

Do you even work, unbalanced one?  This your post from Redmen in reference to Owens' dad....  You #$%^in' putz.

"Is you be receibing sub par returns from youse 6 foots 11 inches sons? There's can be ways you can's be receiving above averages returns. Ifs so, subscribeses to my seminars. Because I's be buying houses. Also I's currently be lovings those whose be lovings me and ams getting me's some moneys becuz I's be planning to be's retired in 5 years."

Not just Foad. A lot of St.John’s fans are Republicans. It’s f’n disgraceful.

wpc77

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
Meanwhile, our star is hawking sweatshirts on Instagram.  Clusterf#ck.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuJ79WFskm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rc1hmjb335h5

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
Not just Foad. A lot of St.John’s fans are Republicans. It’s f’n disgraceful.

What in the world does that have to do with anything