Game 25: Butler 830P (CBSS, 570AM)

• 157 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Game 25: Butler 830P (CBSS, 570AM)
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »

Keita is so bad that I actually feel a bit of sadness for him. He has no control and he is constantly rushed. He’s not bad defensively, but he is awful in every other facet

I thought that was the benefit of going after transfers was that you have a better idea of their abilities to play at this level. So counting Dixon and Keita that’s two spots that has been occupied over the last 2 years on players that are not able to play at this level. At least we’ll get Keita for more than half a season. Does that make any sense?

Marillac

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
I thought that was the benefit of going after transfers was that you have a better idea of their abilities to play at this level. So counting Dixon and Keita that’s two spots that has been occupied over the last 2 years on players that are not able to play at this level. At least we’ll get Keita for more than half a season. Does that make any sense?

Dixon and Keita were added at a time we were still desperate for bodies. That’s how complete rebuilds work.

Figueroa and Heron have been fantastic after those guys and I think Wright will be as well. It would take a miracle for Steere not to be much better than Keita from day one.

Let’s not trash the strategy based on two players. 

Marillac

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
Just having a propensity to rebound is welcomed. I like the way that Chris has integrated first GWill, now Josh over the course of the season. Both aren't ready, and GW has looked terrible for a month now, but he's letting them learn through mistakes, it's the only way that they'll improve.

Missing out on the Femi recruitment last Spring has reared its ugly head all season. The rebounding margins have to be taken w a grain of salt given that this guard oriented team forfeits all offensive rebounds on 3's and FT's in a effort to get back on defense.

Femi is only fourth on his team in rebounding at 5.4. He’s only started 12 games. Our fans act like he’s Zion.

I’d rather have Reed from DePaul 8.3 boards, 11.9 points, and only a soph. Looks like a player.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:35:44 PM by Marillac »

QuanMan

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »
Femi is only fourth on his team in rebounding at 5.4. He’s only started 12 games. Our fans act like he’s Zion.

I’d rather have Reed from DePaul 8.3 boards, 11.9 points, and only a soph. Looks like a player.

Yea, obviously, Paul Reed is the MIP within the conference this year. Femi is averaging 8.5RPG per 40minutes, we could've used him.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »
Yea, obviously, Paul Reed is the MIP within the conference this year. Femi is averaging 8.5RPG per 40minutes, we could've used him.

We sure could have. Need all the big boy help we can get.

SJUFAN

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
Dixon and Keita were added at a time we were still desperate for bodies. That’s how complete rebuilds work.

Figueroa and Heron have been fantastic after those guys and I think Wright will be as well. It would take a miracle for Steere not to be much better than Keita from day one.

I’m not trashing the strategy, more of the player assessment failure. If we are in need of bodies, bringing in subpar talent isn’t going to help any, especially if they have to sit out a year, then transfer mid season the following year.

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2019, 03:18:55 PM »

Keita got minutes as a freshman for a Final Four team. Certainly capable player but leg injuries take some time to get your step back.

Dixon had his moments of being a microwave off the bench. Think it was extremely short sighted of him to bounce.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »

While I agree with you. I'd also add who else was St. John's getting that could have been better?

Arguably I wouldn't say these guys were desperate for body adds. I'd argue Earlington and Roberts were.

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 03:27:01 PM »

So Femi could have been a good add but he's not averaging 8.5 rpg he's averaging 5.4. Lets not per 40 his numbers.

I'd argue that any of our freshman were better gambles as low risk, high reward. Also Femi wouldn't get the usage on this team as he does DePaul so do think he's a better fit there.

But overall you are correct we'd be better with him this season.

SJUFAN

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »
While I agree with you. I'd also add who else was St. John's getting that could have been better?

Arguably I wouldn't say these guys were desperate for body adds. I'd argue Earlington and Roberts were.

We shouldn’t be desperate for bodies heading into year 4.

goredmen

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »

Your boy Lavin had 6 playable guys in year 5 and he had a full year head start on Mullin

Foad

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
Your boy Lavin had 6 playable guys in year 5 and he had a full year head start on Mullin

In 2014, year four of the Lavin regime, led by six RCSI top 70 recruits - Harrison, Sampson, Jordan, Pointer, Branch and Obekpa - SJ won 20 games en route to a coveted NIT bid where unfortunately they lost in the first round by 10 at home to mighty Robert Morris in one of the worst and most embarrassing and despicable performances in the history of SJ basketball a nail biter, which brought Lavin's post season record to an impressive 2-7. Goes without saying that I miss him.

In Mullin's year four he's won 18 games (aka 19, pace Seton Hall) and is on the cusp of an NCAA bid with six games remaining. So I understand the angst and hand wringing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about the suspect recruiting and tying of shoes and what does lazy and shiftless Mitch Richmond do anyway.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »

We weren’t going to get anybody better. That is what many of our fans don’t understand.

I think Roberts was added due to his ceiling. We recruited him for a while.  He seems like the standard big man recruit. Earlington was probably a filler after the USC kid decomitted. That kid was a day one contributor for us, while the plan for Roberts was to get him going as a soph and junior.

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »

What? That’s literally how rebuilding works ans why it shouldn’t be avoided. I posted this ad naseum when everyone wanted Lavin fired. I laid out exactly what would happen. The same thing will happen to Mullin’s successor is he is fired.

Look at Hurley at Arizona St. he played five guys 34 minutes or more in his last game and his depth mirrors Mullin’s. Very similar team too with two NBA prospects, no depth, and inconsistent results. And he had experience as a head and assistant coach and less of a disaster to take over.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:07:10 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »

With the landscape of the college game you can become desperate for bodies at any time. Hell UK and Duke become desperate for bodies if someone they plan on having for 2 years leaves after 1. With transfers and declares you never know.

We're using the term "desperate" loosely too but we were desperate for guys 11-12

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
We weren’t going to get anybody better. That is what many of our fans don’t understand.

I think Roberts was added due to his ceiling. We recruited him for a while.  He seems like the standard big man recruit. Earlington was probably a filler after the USC kid decomitted. That kid was a day one contributor for us, while the plan for Roberts was to get him going as a soph and junior.

A very thin class for bigs and Brooks would have been a nice get for us but he ultimately went to USC (averaging 8mpg). At that point there were ZERO top 100 bigs available.

Ian Steere a fringe top 100 guy ultimately wound up here which is a win.

Cruise through the list..... it's pretty bare bone

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Foad

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »

Posters say that to build a program you need three star HS players who will be in and grow into the system over four years. Then when you get them the same posters say why do we have all these bench players who aren't capable of contributing as freshmen.

Posters say who's the big man coach on this team, all the big men stink. Then two months later they say why isn't Josh Roberts getting more minutes, he's a different player than he was three months ago.

SJUFAN

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »

He had more than 6, but the point I failed to make was if Mullin was desperate for bodies how would giving away scholarships to players who 1. Can’t play at this level, and 2. Would need to sit out a year address the “desperate need for bodies”. It wouldn’t.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:38:36 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »

Your right I don’t understand why two hall of fame coaches after 2 1/2 years of recruiting can’t bring in players who are better than transfer players who are not BE level talent.

Oh wait...I think I can understand...They weren’t f*n recruiting.

Foad

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
Your right I don’t understand why two hall of fame coaches after 2 1/2 years of recruiting can’t bring in players who are better than transfer players who are not BE level talent.

Oh wait...I think I can understand...They weren’t f*n recruiting.

Never fear, my moles tell me that this summer they'll be scouring the French Riviera for the next Amar Alibegowitz.