Game 25: Butler 830P (CBSS, 570AM)

• 157 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 25: Butler 830P (CBSS, 570AM)
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
Your right I don’t understand why two hall of fame coaches after 2 1/2 years of recruiting can’t bring in players who are better than transfer players who are not BE level talent.

Oh wait...I think I can understand...They weren’t f*n recruiting.

Did you happen to catch the record the first two years? Have you seen the facilities? Why would top 100 players come here? And they were late to recruit all the high school kids that are freshmen and sophs now.

Our fans are delusional and expect  the world. If Mullin can make the tournament this year it opens the door to a whole new caliber of recruit going forward.

It can take a decade to fully recover from a full rebuild.

SJUFAN

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
At that point there were ZERO top 100 bigs available.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

At that point? That’s one way of saying it. Another way of saying it is the staff wasn’t able to close on any of their few targets, and some, like Jermaine Harris wasn’t even a target. Why waste time on a local guy who went to RI when we can spend a ship on a sit out transfer who’s not good enough to play in the BE. Sound strategy.

We are fools. The staff focuses on transfer strategy is because they are lazy and don’t want to be bothered with the HS recruiting scene. You have a year of tape on Dixon and Keita, you know what they can do and you sign them anyway cause they don’t have any other option, their too f*n lazy to put in the work.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:14:24 PM by SJUFAN »

goredmen

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »

redslope

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
How quickly the lack of Bigs issue seems to forget that the team was set up for this year with TO until his old man wanted him to get more PT.  He is playing 6 minutes less/game and scoring and rebounding less than last year.  TO is learning Karma is a Bitch.

Poison

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
So Femi could have been a good add but he's not averaging 8.5 rpg he's averaging 5.4. Lets not per 40 his numbers.

I'd argue that any of our freshman were better gambles as low risk, high reward. Also Femi wouldn't get the usage on this team as he does DePaul so do think he's a better fit there.

But overall you are correct we'd be better with him this season.

Femi would be great on this team. He’s clearly better than anyone we have. Knowing we will lose Ponds after this year, the staff had to know this was the year to go for it.

There is absolutely no excuse for the them to not have a capable front court. The question of who would be better is for them to answer.

And if there answer is “there’s no one left” it’s not an acceptable excuse. It’s laziness. Somehow Bowling Green had big men. If you make recruiting a priority, you’ll find players.

Poison

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »
How quickly the lack of Bigs issue seems to forget that the team was set up for this year with TO until his old man wanted him to get more PT.  He is playing 6 minutes less/game and scoring and rebounding less than last year.  TO is learning Karma is a Bitch.

Texas Tech is ranked 10th in the nation. Who is feeling the karma?

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:33 PM »
At that point? That’s one way of saying it. Another way of saying it is the staff wasn’t able to close on any of their targets, and some, like Jermaine Harris wasn’t even a target. Why waste time on a local guy who went to RI when we can spend a ship on a sit out transfer who’s not good enough to play in the BE. Sound strategy.

We are fools. The staff focuses on transfers strategy is because they are lazy. You have a year of tape on Dixon and Keita, you know what they can do and you sign them anyway cause their to f*n lazy to put in the work.

So you're talking about Jermaine Harris from MD who went to RI coached by David Cox who has deep ties to DMV.

Ok so that's one decent big that really wasn't realistic but lets keep going. Who else would you have recruited?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »
Femi would be great on this team. He’s clearly better than anyone we have. Knowing we will lose Ponds after this year, the staff had to know this was the year to go for it.

There is absolutely no excuse for the them to not have a capable front court. The question of who would be better is for them to answer.

And if there answer is “there’s no one left” it’s not an acceptable excuse. It’s laziness. Somehow Bowling Green had big men. If you make recruiting a priority, you’ll find players.

2018 was incredibly thin for bigs. No one left happened very early unless you want to think guys like Zion were still on the board and were realistic.

Additionally we had an early pledge of Brooks and he bounced.

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
Texas Tech is ranked 10th in the nation. Who is feeling the karma?

You don't think with Owens we win conservatively 3 more games and we wouldn't be top 10?

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »
Dixon and Keita were added at a time we were still desperate for bodies. That’s how complete rebuilds work.

Figueroa and Heron have been fantastic after those guys and I think Wright will be as well. It would take a miracle for Steere not to be much better than Keita from day one.

Let’s not trash the strategy based on two players. 

And let's not trash the strategy based on a knee injury and a transfer.

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
Not on this. Admit he sucks immediately.

I hope Roberts proves me wrong in the last 7 or 8 and "Don't call me dishonest Abe" changes your mind a bit.

Poison

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:45 PM »
You don't think with Owens we win conservatively 3 more games and we wouldn't be top 10?

Probably yeah. I didn’t say that we wouldn’t. Not a lot of big men want to play for this staff. Very few stick with them.

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
We were recruiting Femi Kuti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul48fs5vVbQ

SJUFAN

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »
So you're talking about Jermaine Harris from MD who went to RI coached by David Cox who has deep ties to DMV.

Ok so that's one decent big that really wasn't realistic but lets keep going. Who else would you have recruited?

It’s not just bigs, we need players all around. It’s not just that class, it’s every class. We are only involved with a small amount of players. Now in some aspects one could say that’s good strategy and not to waste your time on others but we are not landing any of our priority targets and then have to reach for players.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:26:00 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
It’s not just bigs, we need players all around. It’s not just that class, it’s every class. We are only involved with a small amount of players. Now in some aspects one could say that’s good strategy and not to waste your time on others but we are not landing any of our priority targets and then have to reach for players.

I'm confused. We have 5 committed players for next year. 1 for 2020.

SJUFAN

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:03 PM »
I'm confused. We have 5 committed players for next year. 1 for 2020.

I was referring to the previous years I like Cam and Steere. Matt is doing a great job, it’s the HOF’s that aren’t picking up the slack on the recruiting trail. We cant have one person recruiting.

SJUFAN

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
No, he didn't

Jordan, Harrison, Green, Sir, Oblocker.

Then Branch, balamou and can sprinkle in some big bodies in Jones, Amar and Adonis. They all played and all contributed on a NCAA tournament team so you can’t say we only had 6.

goredmen

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2019, 12:02:18 AM »
Jordan, Harrison, Green, Sir, Oblocker.

Then Branch, balamou and can sprinkle in some big bodies in Jones, Amar and Adonis. They all played and all contributed on a NCAA tournament team so you can’t say we only had 6.

Balamou barely played. Amar barely played. Jones almost never played. Adonis didn't play at all.

To criticize this year's team and staff for not having depth but trying to claim your boy Lavin had more than 6 guys in his 5th year is either flat out lying or being intentionally stupid.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:03:22 AM by goredmen »

Poison

« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:32 AM »
2018 was incredibly thin for bigs. No one left happened very early unless you want to think guys like Zion were still on the board and were realistic.

Additionally we had an early pledge of Brooks and he bounced.

We don’t have to have all around studs at every positions. A 6’7 Ty Grant was out there. The staff didn’t bother to find him.

Look all over. Even some of the locals like Stony Brook and NJIT have a big man that we could have used this year.

SJUFAN

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2019, 01:39:30 AM »
Balamou barely played. Amar barely played. Jones almost never played. Adonis didn't play at all.

To criticize this year's team and staff for not having depth but trying to claim your boy Lavin had more than 6 guys in his 5th year is either flat out lying or being intentionally stupid.

First you only need 6-7 core guys the rest is good for spot minutes...rest, foul trouble whatever. Sampson should have been on that team but left for the NBA.

Although balamou and Amar “barley” played they each played over 200 minutes that season which is more minutes than Keita or Williams has played so far this season. Jones and Adonis “barely” played but they each played more minutes than Roberts has played to date. Not to mention the other players on that team that “barely” played but non the less they played more than whoever is on the end of our current bench.

This isn’t about the quality of the depth, although that teams bench was better, it’s whether or not they were used, to help keep our main players fresh and it’s without a doubt that bench was used much more so than today’s current teams bench. Even Stewart played more minutes than Roberts and Earlington combined. I’m neither lying or being stupid, it’s facts. The team may have only gone 6 deep in quality, but everyone played.

I can list a starting 5 from that bench Branch, Stewart, Balamou, Jones, and Amar and they would wipe the floor with our current bench.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:52:38 AM by SJUFAN »