NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch

• 321 replies

cjfish

Re: NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 04:13:33 PM »
I have been on board with the mullin staff for four years but I am starting to get fed up. Ther is no reason, other than staff inefficiency, that this talented team is where they’re at.   it should have been a 10-12 win season easily but inexplicable losses to untalented bottom feeders ruined what should have been a great season. With our quickness we should have been able to overcome hieght defticiencies and zones but we did not. Disappointing.

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Wasn't singling you out which is why I referenced fanbase. 

I know. I took the liberty of responding for the entire fanbase.

cjfish

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Forget the first sh game. We should have won three since. Can’t beat big mediocre teams which should have been pressed and beaten easily

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
Im concerned that depaul could win the BET and steal a bid.  They are hot.  Nobody is going to want to play them.

Even if st johns makes the tourney, does it really matter.  They cant beat anyone whos good.

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »
Im concerned that depaul could win the BET and steal a bid.  They are hot.  Nobody is going to want to play them.

Even if st johns makes the tourney, does it really matter.  They cant beat anyone whos good.

Wrong. Can’t beat anyone that’s bad. Teams biggest problem is consistent energy. If you wanna put that on the staff fine but if they get up for a game they can be pretty darn good

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »
Wrong. Can’t beat anyone that’s bad. Teams biggest problem is consistent energy. If you wanna put that on the staff fine but if they get up for a game they can be pretty darn good
"If they get up for a game" talk about damning with faint praise.

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2019, 12:57:01 AM »
Even if st johns makes the tourney, does it really matter.   

Of course it does. It's the ultimate litmus test for us.  The high water mark. It's our ceiling. To get there with favored son Mullin as the coach would mean an awful lot to me and to others of my ilk.

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2019, 01:00:09 AM »
Teams biggest problem is consistent energy. 

Wrong.  The team has two biggest problems. Size and depth. Even casual Johnny fans and the entire free world know this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:19:39 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
Wrong.  The team has two biggest problems. Size and depth. Even casual Johnny fans and the entire free world know this.

Double wrong. We’ve seen them beat teams with size when they come out firing.

I will agree that both of those things would negate a more lethargic showing but this team, as built, needs energy to win.

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
but this team, as built, needs energy to win.

That can be said about every single team. Size and depth are the particular achilles heel of our beloved team.

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
Our single biggest weakness is lack of quickness. You can make up for lack of size if you are a quick team. The only truly athletic player in our starting 5 is Simon, and he too often plays out of control on offense, although he is our best defender. The only other fast/quick player on our team is Greg Williams. Ponds, Figueroa, Heron, Clark, Trimble, and Keita are a step slow compared to players we play against on other teams.

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
Our single biggest weakness is lack of quickness. You can make up for lack of size if you are a quick team. The only truly athletic player in our starting 5 is Simon, and he too often plays out of control on offense, although he is our best defender. The only other fast/quick player on our team is Greg Williams. Ponds, Figueroa, Heron, Clark, Trimble, and Keita are a step slow compared to players we play against on other teams.

You don’t think Ponds that leads the league in steals is quick?

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
I have been on board with the mullin staff for four years but I am starting to get fed up. Ther is no reason, other than staff inefficiency, that this talented team is where they’re at.   it should have been a 10-12 win season easily but inexplicable losses to untalented bottom feeders ruined what should have been a great season. With our quickness we should have been able to overcome hieght defticiencies and zones but we did not. Disappointing.

Our talent is somewhat overrated. We have several holes.

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
And we have a good amount of both. Wins against Marquette and Villanova are offset by being swept by DePaul, Providence, and potentially Xavier. I know they aren't horrible teams but none of them are tournament caliber.

8-10 just looks bad, and to me it's a good excuse for the committee to choose someone else over us.

Bubble teams aren't going to have good conference records this year, I'm saying it will have no effect, they won't even look at it.

derk

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »

Yes this team should've won more games but they only play one way. Win or lose they don't make in game adjustments. It's almost as if they are trying to prove, for some ungodly reason, that their system is superior,as if that's more important then winning the game.

Johnny23

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »
It's a combination of very few in-game adjustments, ineffective system, doing the same stupid sh*t over and over again like settling for deep jumpers and not attacking the D. And that's just on Offense.

Add to that the talent is not as good as many on here made it out to be before the wheels started to fall off and you have a recipe for disaster. Also the roster has been poorly constructed obviously and it shows with lack of size and depth.

Mullin has not finished above .500 in the Big East in his 4 seasons. That's not cutting it by anyone's standards. Next year will be a step back when we lose a lot especially Ponds. We will not be better next year without Ponds, not happening. This was supposed to be the big year, it's been rather underwhelming in reality.

This program is not going forward. It's running in place, again, same as it has been for 2 decades now.

« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2019, 12:34:27 PM »

I disagree with this.  Looking at the rest of the Big East, we're just as quick as the others, if not more so. 

We have oher deficiencies (size, depth, discipline, intensity etc). that all come to mind for me before quickness.

Poison

« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »

I don’t follow what you wrote.

We could make the case that we only beat teams that are good.

We lose to the bottom half of the league.

We are an enigma.

Where’s the team that housed Marquette in Queens? Where’s the team that played d against Nova?
We need that team back.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:47:26 PM by Poison »

« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
Lunardi moved us from an 11 seed to a 10 seed this morning

« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
Lunardi moved us from an 11 seed to a 10 seed this morning

He specifically talked about this on College Basketball Live on ESPN last night, and mentioned that our Q1/Q2 record was too much to ignore. He also said we were not on the bubble. THat could change with losses in our next two.

Zach's article today basically said the same. We lose our next two and it gets a bit tense, but as of now we are safely in.

nypost.com/2019/03/07/it-will-be-hard-fo...the-ncaa-tournament/