NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch

• 321 replies
Re: NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
How many times do we have to see the tweet "why can't st johns get a player like that"? 

Johnny23

« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2019, 12:18:09 AM »
they have the money, ridiculous statement. When is the last time with all that money have they had a good hoops team. they can then Saban. go out and get some air, instead of bitching all the time.

It's not a ridiculous statement. Expect more from your sh*tty college hoops team. #$%^in settling b*tch.

SJUFAN

« Reply #302 on: March 31, 2019, 02:59:10 AM »
How many times do we have to see the tweet "why can't st johns get a player like that"? 

What r u referring to?

« Reply #303 on: March 31, 2019, 05:54:09 AM »

Poison

« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Owens wasn’t a world beater here but he a did a lot of the things our guys never wanted to do, like rebound, block shots etc. he always played hard and seeing how we certainly didn’t always play hard this year, it’s a lot easier to see what the Owens family was getting away from.

Hopefully Mullin is able to recognize where every position including staff and player need to improve. He can’t chalk up this season to it happens, but it really seemed like he was during the season.

Johnny23

« Reply #305 on: March 31, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
But according to some very delusional homers Owens move to Texas Tech wasn't an upgrade.

Open your eyes people. Owens is in the Final 4. SJU won't see another Final 4 for a long, long time.

SJUFAN

« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »
Owens wasn’t a world beater here but he a did a lot of the things our guys never wanted to do, like rebound, block shots etc. he always played hard and seeing how we certainly didn’t always play hard this year, it’s a lot easier to see what the Owens family was getting away from.

Hopefully Mullin is able to recognize where every position including staff and player need to improve. He can’t chalk up this season to it happens, but it really seemed like he was during the season.

It starts with Mullin. He needs to buy into the importance of playing tough, physical defense and rebounding within a sound defensive scheme. So far he appears more concerned with pace of play only. Not even a sound offensive scheme to manufacture points within a half court set. Because of this, he’s not able to take advantage of the talent he does have.

« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2019, 11:15:09 PM »
Anybody else rooting for Texas Tech?

No.

cjfish

« Reply #308 on: April 01, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
absolutely

cjfish

« Reply #309 on: April 01, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
But according to some very delusional homers Owens move to Texas Tech wasn't an upgrade.

Open your eyes people. Owens is in the Final 4. SJU won't see another Final 4 for a long, long time.

A year of good coaching turned Owens into more than the one-trick pony he was at SJU.  He is still blocking shots but now he is setting multiple screens every time down the court within a a structured offense getting others open and getting the occasional high percentage shot off the roll.  Great move by the kid.

« Reply #310 on: April 01, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »

A year of good coaching turned Owens into more than the one-trick pony he was at SJU.  He is still blocking shots but now he is setting multiple screens every time down the court within a a structured offense getting others open and getting the occasional high percentage shot off the roll.  Great move by the kid.

I’m gonna be honest, I watched tech play probably 10 times this year, it looks like he’s doing the exact same things he did here, just on a better team.

SJUFAN

« Reply #311 on: April 01, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
I’m gonna be honest, I watched tech play probably 10 times this year, it looks like he’s doing the exact same things he did here, just on a better team.

What makes them a better team though? I would suggest they’re a better team due to structure. Our lack of structure leads to inconsistent play.

« Reply #312 on: April 01, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »
Any guard named after my favorite Italian beer has got to be good.

« Reply #313 on: April 01, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »
What makes them a better team though? I would suggest they’re a better team due to structure. Our lack of structure leads to inconsistent play.

They have one of the top 5-10 coaches in the game, have a very well balanced roster and a potential top 5-10 pick.

« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »

Owens' game isn't much different than it was at St. John's.  But he has a defined role at Texas Tech.  That's the difference! 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:50:17 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
Owens' game isn't much different than it was at St. John's.  But he has a defined role at Texas Tech.  That's the difference! 

He had the same defined role here he has at TT. 

He didn't like it so he left to be Kevin Garnett.  Probably his 24% three point shooting has convinced even Renard that it's not his forte. He's passed up a bunch of open three looks this tournament that he would have jacked up last year with us. He's playing very intelligently and well.

« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
He had the same defined role here he has at TT. 

He didn't like it so he left to be Kevin Garnett.  Probably his 24% three point shooting has convinced even Renard that it's not his forte. He's passed up a bunch of open three looks this tournament that he would have jacked up last year with us. He's playing very intelligently and well.

Sure he did re: had the same role here as he does at Texas Tech.  There's also a reason he's playing more intelligently at Texas Tech than he is playing here (it's also indirectly related to him having a defined role).  Better coaching, maybe....   

I don't know if you get your jollies off trolling or simply silly.   

« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
Thank you.  3700 some odd posts and the very first time I've been called a troll.

« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Sure he did re: had the same role here as he does at Texas Tech.  There's also a reason he's playing more intelligently at Texas Tech than he is playing here (it's also indirectly related to him having a defined role).  Better coaching, maybe....   

I guess you could say his numbers are better than at TT than here - but not much. The 61% from the field stands out but he shot a respectable 50% both seasons here and stats for his undebatable best asset, blocked shots, were better while here.  Three point shooting down, FT shooting up.  Plus you have to assume normal improvement from age, physical maturity and experience.

Looks like judging coaching ability based on the play of Tariq Turner like you seek to do, might prove that Mullin is better than what's his face.

« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »
I guess you could say his numbers are better than at TT than here - but not much. The 61% from the field stands out but he shot a respectable 50% both seasons here and stats for his undebatable best asset, blocked shots, were better while here.  Three point shooting down, FT shooting up.  Plus you have to assume normal improvement from age, physical maturity and experience.

Looks like judging coaching ability based on the play of Tariq Turner like you seek to do, might prove that Mullin is better than what's his face.

Alright.  Whatever you say.