Rebranding to Consider Red Men/Indian if We Rise Again

• 98 replies
Rebranding to Consider Red Men/Indian if We Rise Again
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
Just curious- I feel like if we brought back this throwback style in some form if we rise again, we will have more school spirit in general and help the rebranding to captivate nationally and locally again. May be good look for us. Maybe even consider throwback uniform days. All in all what are everyone's thoughts on the marketing future if we can start turning the corner? Im not saying throw away Johnny T entirely, more or less bringing back other stuff too.

SJUFAN

Re: Rebranding to Consider Red Men/Indian if We Rise Again
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »
Will never happen.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
In NYC? No chance...ever.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »
It’s not possible.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
Been the Red Stom for 25 years, safe to say the kids growing up know the team as the storm and johnnies. No reason to go back in time to make our older fans happy. Besides that it will never happen in this day in age.

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:16:12 PM »
Absolutely no chance. If people found this offensive 25 years ago imagine now when a lot of people aren’t happy unless they are offended.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
Trivia question: Where did the name Redmen originate from?

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
From the football team, that were dressed in red from helmet to cleats

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:42 PM »
From the football team, that were dressed in red from helmet to cleats

Pretty much, yes. Their shirts were red, so they were the Redmen.

When they brought the Indian into it, they changed the meaning of Redmen. The name died the death it deserved to die.

I have never understood why they did such a shit job of rebranding. The Red Storm is completely meaningless.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
We stole their country, gave them smallpox infected blankets, John Wayne movies, killed all the buffalo, broke treaties, slaughtered millions of them, and stripped Jim Thorpe's Olympic medals.

Now they have to endure team names that are derogatory references to their skin color and offensive cartoon caricature mascots?

Oh brother.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:58:04 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:47:13 PM »
It is the perfect socio-political environment for a Catholic university to have caricatures of Native Americans depicted on their warm up sweats. We can have the Injun drummer guy from the pro-life march as half time entertainment. It's not like the mass media will fall all over itself racing to place blame on a private Catholic university, and its constituants.
What could go wrong?

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:18:43 PM »
I think you all are right considering how easily offended people are in this area of the country. But personally, it should be lauded - I bet many would appreciate the nod to their heritage so its not forgotten.

But aside from the historical point- subtle ways to get some throwback in there would be cool for the program even if its not in your face just to bring back the golden days when we were a power. And even if its not the Redmen or the Indian, if we are turning the corner and get new facilities and more money flows into program, why not find something else to keep momentum going?

cjfish

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »
It is the perfect socio-political environment for a Catholic university to have caricatures of Native Americans depicted on their warm up sweats. We can have the Injun drummer guy from the pro-life march as half time entertainment. It's not like the mass media will fall all over itself racing to place blame on a private Catholic university, and its constituants.
What could go wrong?

Bring back the shortlived Redman.  Unless there is a group running around in red suits I think we will be okay.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 11:39:52 PM »
I think you all are right considering how easily offended people are in this area of the country. But personally, it should be lauded - I bet many would appreciate the nod to their heritage so its not forgotten.

But aside from the historical point- subtle ways to get some throwback in there would be cool for the program even if its not in your face just to bring back the golden days when we were a power. And even if its not the Redmen or the Indian, if we are turning the corner and get new facilities and more money flows into program, why not find something else to keep momentum going?

How about Redwomen? Period blood is all the rage among feminists now...it’s even an emoji.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 11:41:33 PM »
We stole their country, gave them smallpox infected blankets, John Wayne movies, killed all the buffalo, broke treaties, slaughtered millions of them, and stripped Jim Thorpe's Olympic medals.

Now they have to endure team names that are derogatory references to their skin color and offensive cartoon caricature mascots?

Oh brother.

“We”?

The Fighting Irish say hi.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 12:05:14 AM »
“We”?

The Fighting Irish say hi.

Yeah, we - the White man.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »

You sound like you should be rooting for some redneck school in the deep south.

People aren’t offended there. But don’t forget I’m talking about chickens who campaigned for the cournal.

A Redmen is a scalped Indian. If you’re not offended by that, you’re pretty thick to say the least.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 12:54:43 AM »
You sound like you should be rooting for some redneck school in the deep south.

People aren’t offended there. But don’t forget I’m talking about chickens who campaigned for the cournal.

A Redmen is a scalped Indian. If you’re not offended by that, you’re pretty thick to say the least.
Where did you come up with that? It relates to skin color as in white man, black man. Some American Indians referred to themselves as red skins. Did a little research after reading your comment. Didn't some Indians also paint their faces red?

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 01:48:50 AM »
What? What the...

NO

LoganK

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 06:07:39 AM »
I think you all are right considering how easily offended people are in this area of the country.
Ever notice who complains about how easily offended other people can be?