Game #27 @ Providence

• 79 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Game #27 @ Providence
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
Why should it be heron? From my perspective he’s #3 and it’s been pretty obvious. LJ a better rebounder, passer, defender, and finisher. Also the smarter player of the two.

LJ doesn’t have the ball skills, strength and athleticism of Heron. Heron “should” be their best player. I didn’t say he is. LJ has that mental toughness and determination. LJ does need to work on creating his own shot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:18:32 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
LJ doesn’t have the ball skills, strength and athleticism of Heron. Heron “should” be their best player. I didn’t say he is. LJ has that mental toughness and determination. LJ does need to work on creating his own shot.

I disagree, I think LJ does a better job creating his own shot. Heron is great off the catch but once he decides to go to the basket he is very predictable and gets himself into trouble. What about Ponds?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
Would love to know if Ponds is still going to class

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
Ponds has been pretty dreadful in Feburuary. I don’t know if it’s fatigue, better scouting, or over confidence. He needs to figure things out fast
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:25 AM »
If somehow Shamorie read my last message. Don’t! Never ever read here again. Too much noise!!

Poison

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
Ponds has been pretty dreadful in Feburuary. I don’t know if it’s fatigue, better scouting, or over confidence. He needs to figure things out fast

In the Butler game, he looked like he was in pain taking the free throws at the very end of the game.

We’ve seen how different his game is when he’s playing through pain.

The other option is that he’s struggling with how handle the box and one Providence has wisely used twice now on him. Every opponent’s strategy when they play us is to stop Shamorie. Figueroa missed layup after layup last night. We didn’t move on offense and settled for chucking all game. If those shots fall, it creates other opportunities, but if they don’t, something else needs to change the course of the game.

cjfish

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »

It has been my observation for awhile....he has probably played his way out of any draft consideration.  Then again, he is capable of putting up games for the rest of the season which will make everyone forget about this slump.  All athletes slump but a large part of this slump may be attributed to the rest of the league figuring out his game.  Double teams and help on him have abounded.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
In the Butler game, he looked like he was in pain taking the free throws at the very end of the game.

We’ve seen how different his game is when he’s playing through pain.

The other option is that he’s struggling with how handle the box and one Providence has wisely used twice now on him. Every opponent’s strategy when they play us is to stop Shamorie. Figueroa missed layup after layup last night. We didn’t move on offense and settled for chucking all game. If those shots fall, it creates other opportunities, but if they don’t, something else needs to change the course of the game.

Agree. For large portions of the game we have no one inside the paint. You don’t need to post up to be a threat inside the arc. Having 5 guys on the perimeter doesn’t neccesarily make it easy to get driving lines, in actuality there’s more defenders on the perimeter ready to help on the drive. 

cjfish

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Was nice to see Earlington (the Big E) play so well.  I know it is garbage time but he hustled, scored and rebounded and he can not be moved around like he's not there, like Roberts.  I know it is too late in the season to work him into the rotation but I think the staff made a mistake in relegating him to garbage time.

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »

Why?

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Fair to acknowledge a kid as great as Shamorie isn’t playing well and fair to speculate why within reason. The notion posted by some that he is quitting or has a foot out the door is garbage. This kid has played hard and given us great games for three years. He came to St. John’s when our program was coming off its worst season in god knows how long. He deserves our respect and loyalty. I think he will finish strong despite February struggles because on balance he’s been a great player for us since the jump. And when he’s gone, whenever that is, we will all miss him deeply.

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
Are you new to this board lol.  Because he enjoys taking shots or creating negative vibes among our players even our best. Meanwhile some punk on Iona fights a coach and it’s not that kids fault (or any of their players fault, see big Dave getting arrested for assault a few years back. Piling on Ponds is a joke.

Why?

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2019, 12:58:02 PM »
Figueroa missed layup after layup last night. 

They weren't so much layups but the typical odd assortment of difficult 5 to 10 ft. one handed floaters that he's been dropping all season. Last night they weren't falling.

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Why?
Because he may be spending too much time and effort on academics.

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
Fair to acknowledge a kid as great as Shamorie isn’t playing well and fair to speculate why within reason. The notion posted by some that he is quitting or has a foot out the door is garbage. This kid has played hard and given us great games for three years. He came to St. John’s when our program was coming off its worst season in god knows how long. He deserves our respect and loyalty. I think he will finish strong despite February struggles because on balance he’s been a great player for us since the jump. And when he’s gone, whenever that is, we will all miss him deeply.

Amen. Disgusting really.

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2019, 02:15:36 PM »
he keeps putting sappy quotes about missing a girl on his instagram so maybe it's true, still very weak minded, feel like his nba stock is non existent and it's no one's fault but his own
Ponds played like his girl dumped him or his dog died.  Uninspired lame showing

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
Why?

So that he's eligible academically when he's told he played himself out of the draft and should return to school.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
Hahhahaha. I must admit, Ponds does look like an All American pregame with the head phones and hoodie. Time to show up kid, and get this program to the big boys tournament. Or step aside, and let LJ do it
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:12:00 PM by Marco Baldi »