Game 28: Hall MSG 8P (FS1, 570 AM)

• 82 replies
Re: Game 28: Hall MSG 8P (FS1, 570 AM)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 11:54:54 PM »
Ticket punched, great work team. Let's not have any let downs and make a run. Most exciting time we have had in a few years with this program. I admit, I have been skeptical at points this season but if we can master some consistency we can get back to where we need to be as a program. I am hoping this nets us some more solid recruits.

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
- No knee brace for Keita tonight
- Freshman have their shortcomings but they balled out tonight. Played with tremendous energy and effort. I'm glad staff is finally trusting them with minutes. We need them in short sprints.
- Ponds was tremendous tonight. Glad he got out of the funk
- Great body language from Heron on the bench. He was smiling, cheering, and into the game despite sitting out.
- Great senior night win for Marvin Clark
- We came out aggressive and let Seton Hall know this was our house and our game
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2019, 12:06:15 AM »
Ticket punched, great work team. Let's not have any let downs and make a run. Most exciting time we have had in a few years with this program. I admit, I have been skeptical at points this season but if we can master some consistency we can get back to where we need to be as a program. I am hoping this nets us some more solid recruits.

I think we need to win at least one more to officially punch our ticket. Ideally 2, including the BET.

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
Anyone check after the game to see if Willard was throwing his assistants under the bus and offering roles to anyone related to a decent recruit?

What a tremendous team W with Heron out.  So happy for these kids and happy for Marvin in particular on senior night.

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2019, 12:13:51 AM »
11 pts 11 Reb 10 blks from the bench tonight. Nice triple double from them.

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2019, 12:57:55 AM »
Really can't say enough about Williams, Earlington, and Keita. Their contributions tonight were huge.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2019, 01:27:13 AM »
Great win. Keita was big time tonight. He was all over the floor defensively and battled hard on the boards. Figueroa was very active, but almost played us out of this game with his decision making and forced shots. Great bounce back by Shamorie. He needs to lead like this from here on out. Simon was a monster  defensively until he got into foul trouble. Marv played smart and very efficient. Solid game.

Also a great night of honoring SJU's seniors from the players to dance team to the veterans. Nice touch by the school.

Really want that BE tourney title this year. Let's get it.

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2019, 02:19:58 AM »
- A hearty thanks and congratulations go out to Hammer!  The Spartans loss was certainly our gain. His leadership in an inspired senior night performance all but ensured a memorable night for him, his family and us. In the presser, Ponds spoke of the entire teams desire to not have Marv's last Msg game be a loss. I hope they all feel the same way about his last Alumni hall game on Thursday.

- By far the best performance from the bench (57 minutes) in at least the conference season if not the entire season.  Plus, usual sub Trimble forced into a starting role and gave a solid 17 mins except for the tech.  An odd stat is 10 blocks form the bench.

- Start the novenas and break out the rosaries for Gil Scott's knee.

- Ponds with the first dunk of his Johnny career and he had the height easily.

- No ticket has been punched!  We need one more.

- Thanks and congratulations to Jay "The Stranger" Camus. Your out of the spotlight contribution is much appreciated and not unnoticed.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:24:56 AM by carmineabbatiello »

QuanMan

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2019, 02:30:03 AM »
Let me preface all points by saying the crowd tn was terrific. We would not allow a loss, and all things considered- to have a resounding, wall to wall win over Hall without Heron speaks volumes.

-MH is not only a category leader in pts/rbs/stls, he is a demonstrative presence on both sides oc the ball. To win tn without him trumps any metric.

-Salute to the bench. I'm especially happy for Earlington who waited all season for his moment, he should be holding his head high.

-Hall is FIRMLY on the opposite side of the bubble. Walking out of Newark 12/29 couldn't of felt any worse, but damnit this feels good. I can't wait for Willard and HallNation to be weeping on SelectionSunay.

-Aweome win tn, WE ARE.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:52:38 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2019, 02:32:22 AM »
Just so we’re all on the same page—team strategy is to effectively concede defensive rebounds. Get back and prevent runouts. Same strategy Popovich has used for forever. Doubt the rebounding margin will be in our favor much if ever.

goredmen

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2019, 02:37:19 AM »
Just so we’re all on the same page—team strategy is to effectively concede defensive rebounds. Get back and prevent runouts. Same strategy Popovich has used for forever. Doubt the rebounding margin will be in our favor much if ever.

This is true. However it’s the other end of the court where we must get better. SHU rebounded 46% of their misses tonight. That is way too many
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:37:43 AM by goredmen »

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2019, 06:03:26 AM »
Great w and a step in the right direction.  This is a loss and a knockout punch in previous years. Only caught a few mins, but I liked what I saw from Roberts

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
The team play with five minutes left was frustrating to watch. Dribble at the top of the key for 28 seconds and throw up a shot. Run a play and go into it with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
The bench contribution was nice to see. Earlington could be an answer down low because with his football acumen he can hold his own physically better then Roberts or Clarke.
Excelsior!

goredmen

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Great w and a step in the right direction.  This is a loss and a knockout punch in previous years. Only caught a few mins, but I liked what I saw from Roberts

Roberts played 1 minute and was mostly ineffective which is why he only got 1 minute while Keita got 25. You were watching the wrong game.

redslope

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Team was Resilient as Marv would say and so was he, big turn around from Friar lack of game.  (Marv had time high 39 minutes--stayed out of foul trouble.) I was "uncomfortable" with the huge lead as it was so uncharacteristic making me nervous throughout thinking it was too good to be true.  Every time Hall put on a move though the team would respond showing how deep a hole they had dug for themselves. 

Winning without Heron was impressive, and I believe there was something also wrong with Figgy (stomach problems?).  His minutes, rebounds and efficiency were down.  There was one time out midway through second half when the team came to the bench and Figgy ran into the runway without stopping.  When he returned it looked like he was finished for the night but came back with 4 minutes to go and the score under 10. 

Great help by the bench.  The Duke of Earl is a rock and difficult to be pushed around-if only a few inches taller-but he seems to have some good BB training and good to use on a pick.

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2019, 01:13:48 PM »
Great day yesterday ....team started strong and beside for the last couple minutes dominated the whole game. Ponds followed up his tweet to Delgado and played like the big east player of the year.  I have been hard on Clark all year but he played one of his best games and great to send him out on senior night. Very positive to see Earlington and Williams play strong minutes and Keita played his best game. Crowd was great all night 85/15 I would say the split was.

Anyone hear any feedback from the recruits ...they were couple sections over from us and seemed to enjoy it after all the big plays and the garden erupted ....Let’s beat Xavier Thursday and clinch the 3 seed!

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
Roberts played 1 minute and was mostly ineffective which is why he only got 1 minute while Keita got 25. You were watching the wrong game.

Really.  Even his staunchest supporters he gained after the 1st Providence game have come to their senses.  He's clearly behind the 1st three subs and now may have dropped behind Earlington as well.  The theory that he's a better option than Keita was ludicrous.

He's a freshmen.  His time will soon come but it's not now.

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2019, 01:40:36 PM »

Earlington

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
Wow a one minute opportunity. If I was judged by that standard I never would have had sex for my entire life.  ;D

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:16 AM »
What a magical game. Couldn't happen to bigger aholes.