Our Ceiling in Big East/NCAA Tournament

• 24 replies

Marillac

Re: Our Ceiling in Big East/NCAA Tournament
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »
I might be in the minority here, but the BET doesnt do it for me anymore. I am fine with winning 2 of the last 3 reg season games, and then maybe winning 1 BET game.

This way we go into field of 68 (or 65 or whatever the hell the # is) fresh and ready to stomp on throats.

Freshness won’t be an issue as the championship game is Saturday and the first round isn’t until Thursday/Friday.

The bigger issue with this team is they play better off a loss.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »
Winning the BET is the ceiling and Sweet 16 I think for the tourney.

These final three BE games will tell the story if Keita and the bench boys are ready to play and have big games like they did Saturday.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »

These final three BE games will tell the story if Keita and the bench boys are ready to play and have big games like they did Saturday.

I tend to agree with you but the sweet 16 feels arbitrary. We can beat any 2 or 3 seed if we are on. We can also lose to any 11 seed when we aren’t.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »
I tend to agree with you but the sweet 16 feels arbitrary. We can beat any 2 or 3 seed if we are on. We can also lose to any 11 seed when we aren’t.
No doubt true, the thing is, by the Sweet 16 every team is hot.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »

That’s the key to stringing together wins. Our starting 5 is very good, but should a couple of players have poor games, the bench players need to step up. We have this maddening habit of laying eggs after a big win. I don’t get it, but bench help is our best bet to reverse that course. If Simon is having a terrible game, we shouldn’t be waiting him out. That’s the game. Clark, too. Sit them down if they can’t do anything right on a given day. Every other BE has had that luxury, but us.

On Saturday, we needed our bench to contribute on both sides of the ball, and for the first time since Dixon left, we got those contributions.

Keita and Trimble are the 6th and the 7th men, but if we have aspirations of winning the BE, or making the Sweet 16, we need a deeper bench. The three freshman have to be ready like they were on Saturday.