Our Ceiling in Big East/NCAA Tournament

• 24 replies
Our Ceiling in Big East/NCAA Tournament
« on: February 25, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »
Some points here:
What do you think our ceiling is in the Big East Tournament?
-If Marquette/Nova 2/ Seton Hall 2 version of our team shows up we can win the whole thing. If not, I think we get to Semis.

Assuming we make the NCAA Tournament (we are closing in) what is our ceiling there?
-I think round of 32 depending on who we draw with chance to go further next year pending on departures and incoming class.

Finally, with decent showings in both of them, what is the highest recruit we can wrap up that is on the fence?? Will the decision of Ponds stay/go have an impact?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:28:49 PM by friendofjohnnie »

Ez_Uzi

Re: Our Ceiling in Big East/NCAA Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
My thoughts are that if we don't have to play against Providence or Butler (and I am awaiting to get a sense of the Xavier matchup this week) in the Big East Tournament, we can win it all ...

On the NCAA tournament, if we can climb into the 6th seed or place at 11th, we can get to the round of 16. Otherwise ...

cjfish

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
If the matchups in the NCAA are favorable, not too many skilled big men, could make elite 8.  BE torney semis, play poorly In the garden

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
As long as they don't get Butler, G'town, Providence or DePaul they got a shot in the BET. :)

The big Dance is a total crapshoot with this team. For shits n giggles I'll say they win a game and advance to the 32.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 05:41:50 PM »
I put the ceiling in the BE tournament at one win.

I don't believe we'll make the Ncaa tournament yet. If by some miracle we get there, I can't imagine us winning a game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:43:52 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »
What is the ceiling?

BET - Until we run into Gtown/Prov, the other teams are beatable. Xavier looks a lot like both these teams with their muscle and size. Not optimistic about the BET.

NCAA - Why not Sweet 16 as a ceiling?

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »
At our absolute best aka ceiling they shoot lights out, are faster and more aggressive than almost every other team I’ve watched this year. I’m optimistic that when it matters the most they will reach that level and with the bench playing at their best good things can happen.

I’m expecting one NCAA win and if things are clicking 2 or 3.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
As MJ would say Our ceiling is the floor. Semis in BET with outside shot to the finals. NCAA maybe one win.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
I put the ceiling in the BE tournament at one win.

I don't believe we'll make the Ncaa tournament yet. If by some miracle we get there, I can't imagine us winning a game.

Is this a joke? "If by some miracle we get there..." You realize that we are 8-7 in conference with arguably our 4 easiest games left to play. What is the logic behind saying this? You think it would be a miracle if we beat DePaul and Xavier?

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
I don't understand the pessimism about the BET. I think our ceiling is winning the whole thing. We've beaten Marquette twice, and Villanova. Providence would suck to play, but I don't think it's impossible to beat them if we can actually shoot like we normally do. Realistically I think we win one or two.

In the NCAA's it will obviously depend on the matchups, but I'll say Sweet 16 as a ceiling. Would love to at least win one.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:07:20 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
I don't understand the pessimism about the BET. I think our ceiling is winning the whole thing. We've beaten Marquette twice, and Villanova. Providence would suck to play, but I don't think it's impossible to beat them if we can actually shoot like we normally do. Realistically I think we win one or two.

In the NCAA's it will obviously depend on the matchups, but I'll say Sweet 16 as a ceiling. Would love to at least win one.

I agree in all respects.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
I don’t think any team will be excited to see us in the ncaa tourney.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
BET the ceiling is clearly winning it all - we can beat anybody (except maybe ed cooley!)

My concern with BET is we are not deep so could be running on fumes but luckily would only be 3 games, not 4 (or 5) like the old days.

NCAA tourney depends entirely on seeding and matchups and upsets.  We've seen tons of midmajors make the final four in recent years.  Our ceiling is the Final four if things bounce our way!  Ceiling is exactly that - a ceiling, not what we expect will happen.  Realistic optimistic projection based on reasonable outcomes - probably Sweet 16, beating a team similar to us and one team better than us, but not two teams better than us.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:04:21 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 09:20:09 PM »
We make the Big East tournament championship game.

Any game can be a win or a loss on the big dance. We will be the biggest enigma in the whole tournament.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 03:04:35 AM »
Is this a joke?
No.
"If by some miracle we get there..." You realize that we are 8-7 in conference with arguably our 4 easiest games left to play.
You realize that we are St. Johns, right?
What is the logic behind saying this?
Before the season began I thought we would lose two to three non-conference games; go 9 - 9  or 10 - 8 in conference; win 1 BE tournament game and sneak into the tournament.  The second that walk-on hit the game winner in the New Jersey "Clock gate" game - my prediction immediately changed to we would miss the Ncaa tournament by the slimmest of margins with the difference being that cataclysmic event. I'll believe otherwise when I see otherwise.

You think it would be a miracle if we beat DePaul and Xavier?
No. I think it's a miracle any time St. John's qualifies for the Ncaa tournament.  It happens quite infrequently around here and hasn't happened yet for Coach Mullin you know.  I do expect us to be dogs at Xavier and around pick'em at Depaul

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:09:16 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
No.You realize that we are St. Johns, right?Before the season began I thought we would lose two to three non-conference games; go 9 - 9  or 10 - 8 in conference; win 1 BE tournament game and sneak into the tournament.  The second that walk-on hit the game winner in the New Jersey "Clock gate" game - my prediction immediately changed to we would miss the Ncaa tournament by the slimmest of margins with the difference being that cataclysmic event. I'll believe otherwise when I see otherwise. No. I think it's a miracle any time St. John's qualifies for the Ncaa tournament.  It happens quite infrequently around here and hasn't happened yet for Coach Mullin you know.  I do expect us to be dogs at Xavier and around pick'em at Depaul

So essentially it's pure pessimism. Got it.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »

It’s also completely detached from reality.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »

Bingo.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »
It’s also completely detached from reality.

If we win Thursday it's not reality.  If we don't win Thursday it's not yet fantasy and a tough road lies ahead to prevent it from being reality. 

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »
I might be in the minority here, but the BET doesnt do it for me anymore. I am fine with winning 2 of the last 3 reg season games, and then maybe winning 1 BET game.

This way we go into field of 68 (or 65 or whatever the hell the # is) fresh and ready to stomp on throats.