Game 29: Xavier 630P (FS1, 570 AM)

• 138 replies
Re: Game 29: Xavier 630P (FS1, 570 AM)
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:40 PM »
That was the only one I "missed".  I still managed to watch a couple of minutes and listened to some on the radio.  It must have been the one Ponds had his other dunk in.

Na it was his freshmen year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2019, 05:38:13 PM »
Carmine...I would like to hear your thoughts on how you thought this game was called.

I didn't go to the game and they didn't show replays on some of the calls you could tell the house and Mullin were not happy with.  The free throw numbers were brutal for a home team.
I guess approximately 10 or more were from techs, flagrants and stop the clock on purpose fouls.

I thought Driscoll had a rough night. Twice Ponds drove and missed shots that I thought were obvious fouls. On at least one of them Driscoll was lead and it was his primary area. His most egregious gaffe was when he overturned the leads out of bounds call on the baseline from trail and the replay showed it should have been our ball.  You should only step in there if you're 110% sure. Didn't see a replay on the "non kick ball". It has to be deliberately kicked.  I didn't see a replay of the "non-travel" people have mentioned earlier.

I have two discussion points.

1) When defenders are reaching in fully extended, dramatically into a players space close to a dribbler's body going for steals or are bringing there hands down and swinging violently towards a players head - it often looks like a foul to the refs. He doesn't have the luxury of slow motion instant replay. This happened to Ponds, Clarke and Simon a few times yesterday on calls the replay wasn't kind to. I tell players straight out. If your posture and hands are straight up and I make a bad foul call that's on me.  If your reaching in like mad and taking huge swings towards players heads and I make a bad call - that's on you. It looks like a foul.

2) I mentioned this previously and many posters felt that I was either flat out wrong or that the exact opposite is true. Mullin is no friend of the refs. He complains and shows them up constantly. If you have one coach whining incessantly and one not saying a word? The refs are human. Guess who gets the close calls late.

Ponds throws up his hands on every call and makes faces at the refs constantly.  They hate that. The refs are human. Guess who gets the close calls late.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:18:36 PM by carmineabbatiello »

SJUFAN

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2019, 05:43:37 PM »
Simon barely grazed their big man last night, on the floor, and they called a continuation and 1.
Following possession Ponds takes it into the lane with hard contact no call.

That's a swing of upwards of 4 points. Can't have that kind of crap.

Yes that was a bad call. There were a few that didn’t go our way but we can’t control that, we can control giving up 20 second chance points.

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
I didn't even think Simon grazed him on that play, but I'll have to look again. Looked to me like he backed off, so as to make sure he didn't commit the foul.

I've already commented on the non-travel against Jones when it was 53-47.  I thought Phil Booth got away with some travels against us, but it was nothing like that missed call.

Agree with you here. I thought it was either a non call or should have been on the floor.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »
***** EDITED

Please do not post things about race. Consider this first and final warning. That will NOT be tolerated here.  -Dave

Apologies to the forum

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »
I didn't go to the game and they didn't show replays on some of the calls you could tell the house and Mullin were not happy with.  The free throw numbers were brutal for a home team.
I guess approximately 10 or more were from techs, flagrants and stop the clock on purpose fouls.

I thought Driscoll had a rough night. Twice Ponds drove and missed shots that I thought were obvious fouls. On at least one of them Driscoll was lead and it was his primary area. His most egregious gaffe was when he overturned the leads out of bounds call on the baseline from trail and the replay showed it should have been our ball.  You should only step in there if you're 110% sure. Didn't see a replay on the "non kick ball". It has to be deliberately kicked.  I didn't see a replay of the "non-travel" people have mentioned earlier.

I have two discussion points.

1) When defenders are reaching in fully extended, dramatically into a players space close to a dribbler's body going for steals or are bringing there hands down and swinging violently towards a players head - it often looks like a foul to the refs. Even when the instant replay shows that it clearly wasn't. This happened to Ponds, Clarke and Simon a few times yesterday. I tell players straight out. If your posture and hands are straight up and I make a bad foul call that's on me.  If your reaching in like mad and taking huge swings towards players heads and I make a bad call - that's on you. It looks like a foul.

2) I mentioned this previously and many posters felt that I was either flat out wrong or that the exact opposite is true. Mullin is no friend of the refs. He complains and shows them up constantly. If you have one coach whining incessantly and one not saying a word? The refs are human. Guess who gets the close calls late.

Ponds throws up his hands on every call and makes faces at the refs constantly.  The refs are human. Guess who gets the close calls late.

Driscoll didn't overturn that out of bounds call.  The ref who was under the basket didn't see it, and asked for help, which is what you are supposed to do.  I'm just wondering how he couldn't tell, it was pretty obvious.

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2019, 08:22:10 PM »
Driscoll didn't overturn that out of bounds call.  The ref who was under the basket didn't see it, and asked for help, which is what you are supposed to do.  I'm just wondering how he couldn't tell, it was pretty obvious.

I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure he pointed Johnny ball than the direction was changed.

redslope

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
I was there last night and agree regarding the refs--they weren't even CYO quality.  Whoever pointed out the "Numerical Farrell Factor" has something there to contemplate.  The differential of 50 fouls for those 2 BE games is 50 (or 25 per game).  For the other 14 BE games the differential is 51 (or 3.5 per game).  As line from Shakespeare's Hamlet says, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »
Another Big East coach texted me during the game and said that the crew last night is one of the worst. He said the young guy is real power hungry and seconds after he called the T on Shamorie.

It's a real problem in the conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

wpc77

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2019, 09:58:35 PM »
Another Big East coach texted me during the game and said that the crew last night is one of the worst. He said the young guy is real power hungry and seconds after he called the T on Shamorie.

It's a real problem in the conference.

This is why we hired Cragg.  To handle this shit.  Mullins needs to stop mouthing off and give Cragg a season to fix it.  If he doesn't, then fine, mouth off.

It's an interesting dynamic because Mullin was of course once an executive of a major basketball team and one could surmise that him constantly mouthing off to the refs is an indication that he thinks Cragg is ineffectual in properly handling the situation with the big east administrators. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:59:14 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »
I don’t think Cragg was here last year but bitchin Mullin was

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
This is why we hired Cragg.  To handle this shit.  Mullins needs to stop mouthing off and give Cragg a season to fix it.  If he doesn't, then fine, mouth off.

It's an interesting dynamic because Mullin was of course once an executive of a major basketball team and one could surmise that him constantly mouthing off to the refs is an indication that he thinks Cragg is ineffectual in properly handling the situation with the big east administrators. 
Mullin started in on the Refs 30 seconds into the game. At times he was clearly right. Their are ways to get you point across without doing what he did and often does. He told the other coach either to fxck off or go fxck yourself. For a reason I didn’t notice. I expected some kind of fight after the game.
 By the end of the game I absolutely thought it was personal from the referees.
As bad as the officiating was. Our coach could have tried to actually coach instead of cry. Another game where we got killed. He didn’t take a time out in the second half until the game was over.
Watched the game again for some reason. The mistakes we made can easily be fixed. Just by occasionally boxing out would improve defensive rebounding. Switching on defense vs Marquette and nova is a good idea. Switching constantly on DePaul and Xavier makes no sense.
On offense we had a hard time recognizing what defense they were in. Tough to figure out when no one is moving. The ball pick when the guy rolling never gets the ball also makes no sense.
This is one of mullin’s worst games atleast this year. Xavier is certainly beatable. They shot really well. Many of those shots were either wide open or off an offenseive rebound.

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
Mullin started in on the Refs 30 seconds into the game. At times he was clearly right. Their are ways to get you point across without doing what he did and often does. He told the other coach either to fxck off or go fxck yourself. For a reason I didn’t notice. I expected some kind of fight after the game.
 By the end of the game I absolutely thought it was personal from the referees.
As bad as the officiating was. Our coach could have tried to actually coach instead of cry. Another game where we got killed. He didn’t take a time out in the second half until the game was over.
Watched the game again for some reason. The mistakes we made can easily be fixed. Just by occasionally boxing out would improve defensive rebounding. Switching on defense vs Marquette and nova is a good idea. Switching constantly on DePaul and Xavier makes no sense.
On offense we had a hard time recognizing what defense they were in. Tough to figure out when no one is moving. The ball pick when the guy rolling never gets the ball also makes no sense.
This is one of mullin’s worst games atleast this year. Xavier is certainly beatable. They shot really well. Many of those shots were either wide open or off an offenseive rebound.

Was he talking to the other coach? I thought he was but the announcers made a commment that it was towards the ref.

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
This is a circular issue. The refs screw us and we get upset then they get made and take it out on us and so on.

There is a problem with the culture the league officiating. Stu Jackson is at the heart of it and must be removed at season’s end. His attempted coverup of the SH game was mocked by multiple media outlets and necessitates a firing on its own.

The young ref Farrell needs to be sent packing as well. No conferences needs egos in officiating. Cragg needs to throw his weight around.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:45:11 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
This is a circular issue. The refs screw us and we get upset then they get made and take it out on us and so on.

There is a problem with the culture the league officiating. Stu Jackson is at the heart of it and must be removed at season’s end. His attempted coverup of the SH game was mocked by multiple media outlets and necessitates a firing on its own.

The young ref Farrell needs to be sent packing as well. No conferences needs egos in officiating. Craft needs to throw his weight around.

Craft much prefers laying back and letting the action take place.

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
Hahahaha

Marillac

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »

Nice drop in. Haha I meant Cragg I’d course.

TONYD3

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »
Was he talking to the other coach? I thought he was but the announcers made a commment that it was towards the ref.
Yes. Fxck was the only thing I heard clearly. Not quite a threat. Not sure if other coach mentioned coaching box or something. He wanted no part of mullin. It kept me there until the end. Hit some traffic becuse if it

TONYD3

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »

The young ref Farrell needs to be sent packing as well. No conferences needs egos in officiating. Cragg needs to throw his weight around.
Young ref for atleast 5 game minutes, Clearly made it personal.