When will this program get dominant Bigs?

• 27 replies
When will this program get dominant Bigs?
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
So yes I know the arguments that have been made, the game is evolving, we play NBA style to outrun people etc. While all these concepts may be true, it does not change that the Big East competition we face year in and year out still has them and we have been a weak rebounding team overall during that time.

Now I cannot speak for prior to the Lavin years, because I did not watch as closely as I do now, but at least since that time we have not been able to get those recruits/players except Norvel Pelle (who never got here) or Gathers (decommited). Or if we did they were "projects" not established blue chippers.

Do you think we start to pay more attention to that now as much of these losses we were dominated on the boards? And if so who in future classes should we be targeting?

Johnny23

Re: When will this program get dominant Bigs?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »
Next year we have two bigs coming in in Steere and Manuel. We'll see if their stiffs or if they can actually throw their weight around effectively.

Mullin doesn't seem to want to recruit big uglies for some reason. Not sure if it's because if his "NBA philosophies" or not. But whatever it is, he better realize that this team is getting owned on the glass, down low and needs some space eaters. Keita and Roberts are mediocre at best. Roberts needs to hit the weight room and pack on some pounds. True bigs in this conf will eat his lunch all day, every day.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
Steere looks every bit as intimidating as Tyrique Jones if not more.  Manuel isn't the same physically, but he's a big boy.  If Keita is around next year he has a lot of experience to learn from.  And Earlington is very capable of becoming a bad man down low if he's back (which I hope he is). 

Roberts is a freak.  If I was a praying man I'd pray that both he and the staff were committed to him developing here.

Common sense tell us all that they aren't all here next year, though.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
Steere looks every bit as intimidating as Tyrique Jones if not more.  Manuel isn't the same physically, but he's a big boy.  If Keita is around next year he has a lot of experience to learn from.  And Earlington is very capable of becoming a bad man down low if he's back (which I hope he is). 

Roberts is a freak.  If I was a praying man I'd pray that both he and the staff were committed to him developing here.

Common sense tell us all that they aren't all here next year, though.

Some people who were comparing Roberts to Owens physically are out of their minds.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 01:23:35 PM »
Some people who were comparing Roberts to Owens physically are out of their minds.

Roberts is Porsche and Owens is a Camry. Roberts has legitimate first round NBA physical talent.  20 lbs and a back to the basket move would make him scary.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »
Marillac favorite Nico Carvacho will almost certainly be an immediately eligible grad transfer.  6'11 240.  Averaging 16 pts and 13 rebounds.  He went to Sunrise Christian Academy like Trimble and Clark. 

Get it done, Matt A.

A buddy of mine coaches a prep team that plays JUCOs and teams like Oak Hill and IMG and he has a 6'9 250 PF 3* available. 

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Roberts is Porsche and Owens is a Camry. Roberts has legitimate first round NBA physical talent.  20 lbs and a back to the basket move would make him scary.

He gets off the floor quicker than anybody I’ve seen here. Sampson pretty close.

Personally I’m glad we’re not getting bigs just because they’re big. Steere seems like an ideal fit, should be able to man up but will also out run them.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »
Just curious, if we still had Owens, how many more games would we have won this year?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
Just curious, if we still had Owens, how many more games would we have won this year?

I think we would have won several more games. I’d gestimate we’d have won another 4 games. I say 4, which is a lot, because of the amount of easy baskets inside that the opposition has scored on our weak-ass defense this season. Tariq never took plays off. We miss that dedication on defense.

He certainly had his faults but he was much more consistent than anyone we’ve tried to replace him with.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:55:55 PM by Poison »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »
When will we get any dominant bigs? Probably the 12th of never. Dominant bigs are scarce and usually go to the blue bloods and with NBA about to change the one and done rule they can go straight to the pro's.

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
When will we get any dominant bigs? Probably the 12th of never. Dominant bigs are scarce and usually go to the blue bloods and with NBA about to change the one and done rule they can go straight to the pro's.

Dominant? At this point I'd be fine with just decent. I'm watching Harvard-Penn right now and Penn has a big kid who would be a vast upgrade for us. Point being there's plenty of decent bigs out there that we're never in on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:35:32 PM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:55 PM »
Dominant? At this point I'd be fine with just decent. I'm watching Harvard-Penn right now and Penn has a big kid who would be a vast upgrade for us. Point being there's plenty of decent bigs out there that we're never in on.
well I was answering the title of the thread and agree we should be able to get our share of decent bigs. Hopefully Steere and or Manuel fit the bill and Keita and or Roberts continue to develop.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
I think big man depth will be pretty good next year. I think they’ll all be able to board and bang.

Arguably Burrell, Brownlee, Evans and Coker we’re dominant group.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 11:21:53 PM »
I think big man depth will be pretty good next year. I think they’ll all be able to board and bang.

Arguably Burrell, Brownlee, Evans and Coker we’re dominant group.
So dominant we never won a tourny game and got smoked by Gonzaga in the one game they played. Sorry Dave.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 12:08:54 AM »
Oh where is Johnson, Paultz, Wennington, Williams, Werdann and Scott when you need them.

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 12:20:44 AM »
Oh where is Johnson, Paultz, Wennington, Williams, Werdann and Scott when you need them.
Don't forget Weadock, Berwanger and Curtis Johnson. LOL

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 07:48:49 AM »
well I was answering the title of the thread and agree we should be able to get our share of decent bigs. Hopefully Steere and or Manuel fit the bill and Keita and or Roberts continue to develop.

Yeah that would be nice. Even if we get only one to develop at a normal rate it will add a major dimension to the squad. 2 of them would be gravy.

Johnny23

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 07:51:02 AM »
So dominant we never won a tourny game and got smoked by Gonzaga in the one game they played. Sorry Dave.

This. We haven't had a true back to the basket big with an offensive game in forever.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
UCLA has 7'1" Moses Brown. he went to Archbishop Malloy. How did we miss getting him?

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »

They beat Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, Nova, Duke who were all top 15 teams. They lost to Gonzaga playing in Denver after losing their arguably best player the game before.

I think they were pretty good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle