What is the solution?

• 94 replies

wpc77

Re: What is the solution?
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
Based on what? He’s never made a hire.

Based on what he has worked on while at Duke.  Yes he has never made a hire.  He doesn't need to have done so with the background he has in place. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:49:36 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
Please.  Every team in the world wants their best player to return.

LJ

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »
LJ

LJ’s not there yet. I fully expect him to be by next year but he hasn’t yet shown the ability to take over for extended stretches.

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
Based on what he has worked on while at Duke.  Yes he has never made a hire.  He doesn't need to have done so with the background he has in place. 

Duke never hired a basketball coach in his tenure. I like him and he’s brought over some good ideas from a well run athletic department, but he has done nothing to prove he can make this decision. Even a decent or good hire would fall short.

Any coach that is willing to come here is nuts. We have a delusional fan base stuck in 1985. You get all the pressure of coaching in New York with few of the benefits.

Not to mention we can’t be competitive with a city income tax and high state tax. We are also doomed by powerful unions that make new construction costs prohibitive—so our horrible facilities are not likely to get more than a modest boost.

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
Duke never hired a basketball coach in his tenure. I like him and he’s brought over some good ideas from a well run athletic department, but he has done nothing to prove he can make this decision. Even a decent or good hire would fall short.

Any coach that is willing to come here is nuts. We have a delusional fan base stuck in 1985. You get all the pressure of coaching in New York with few of the benefits.

Not to mention we can’t be competitive with a city income tax and high state tax. We are also doomed by powerful unions that make new construction costs prohibitive—so our horrible facilities are not likely to get more than a modest boost.
My ex girlfriend wasn’t as crazy as you are. Our fans are great. We sold out many of our home games.
All I want is a competent, qualified, hardworking basketball coach. When we finally get one, we won’t have to trust the process. You won’t have to explain how good the coach is to us. It will be obivios. If we put out a good product people will come. People will pay.

You don’t live around here. Facilities are fine. Taffner is really nice. Our AD doesn’t want to play at alumni hall. No reason to. Our fans will come to the garden. So the labor unions won’t prevent us from getting a basketball coach.
We could all move to Florida if we wanted to. But many of us stay. Because as nice as the warm weather is there. We would rather pay extra and live here. I bet the guy living in Buffalo might like it. If not him, plenty more to chose from.

The only people left in 1985 are the ones who want to continue this experiment and for some reason enjoying playing games in a HS gym.

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 01:33:11 AM »
Adding experience and adjusting roles will 100% happen this summer. Some of the lower level staff guys aswell. 

I would really like to see them get TY Grant, Marcus Hatten,Eric Barkley or Malik Boothe involved in some capacity on the staff. I know all of these guys would be interested and are very relatable to the players.

Marillac

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
My ex girlfriend wasn’t as crazy as you are. Our fans are great. We sold out many of our home games.
All I want is a competent, qualified, hardworking basketball coach. When we finally get one, we won’t have to trust the process. You won’t have to explain how good the coach is to us. It will be obivios. If we put out a good product people will come. People will pay.

You don’t live around here. Facilities are fine. Taffner is really nice. Our AD doesn’t want to play at alumni hall. No reason to. Our fans will come to the garden. So the labor unions won’t prevent us from getting a basketball coach.
We could all move to Florida if we wanted to. But many of us stay. Because as nice as the warm weather is there. We would rather pay extra and live here. I bet the guy living in Buffalo might like it. If not him, plenty more to chose from.

The only people left in 1985 are the ones who want to continue this experiment and for some reason enjoying playing games in a HS gym.

What is with you and Poison telling me where I live and what I’ve seen?

Several states like Florida don’t have
an income tax. NYC has both a city and state tax. NY also has high property taxes compared to the rest of the country. The cost of living is higher as well. It would take a 2.3 mill per year offer to match what a 1.9 mill offer in a state like Florida.

That is unless you are a close-minded bigot and wannabe-elitist like Poison who will only live in downstate NY or California.

They do have hotels and airbnb’s for those who want to live a week or so in a city like NY to take advantage of the dining and entertainment. You know how much Miami lacks in entertainment options.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »
-Even if this team makes the tournament and then somehow able to win a couple of games, something is still isn’t right with this staff (not saying their lazy, incompetent, or don’t work hard). Is this a total rebuild for a new coach or minor tweaking?

-Coach Mullin, wanted to run a professional program at the college level. In one respect, isn’t treating college students like professional adults the goal? Is this a wrong way to approach a program, or needs adjusting to help transition that jump to being professional? Is the problem that in general he needs to be more engaged with everything revolving the program. Sometimes execution just needs a presence for leadership, even if it means just being there.

Matt A. Does he have too much influence in recruiting because he’s does all he heavy lifting. With only so limited time, does he focus on players he can get or what’s best for the team? His influence so great that any other staff ideals on recruiting is automatically overwritten?

St. Jean. Is youth getting in his way. Is there a different between somebody who likes like your older brother yelling at you, compared to your Dad? Because he does so much on the planning, are the details missing? Is the problem is that you don’t have that A-hole coach that can get into the grill of players?

Mitch Richmond. No sure what he does and not trying to be sarcastic. Maybe the plan all along was for him to be a mentor and somebody to bounce ideals off of, than to be an actual coach/ recruiter.

I don’t believe that somebody who can afford to live in SF, but  decided to move back to NYC with all the weather issues, and a school badly needed upgraded of facilities is inherently lazy. Why go to all that trouble to be part time coach.

I am hoping he stays (and he wants to) and a veteran assistant coach comes in to help in all aspects of the game. I don’t want to start all over again with a rebuild, when all that maybe need is some humble pie and tweaking of the staff.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »
The solution is that 'fans' need to stop overhyping ANY sju team like we're a blue blood.  Because news flash, we never were. And never will be. This program's history for the last 25 years or so has been built on being inconsistent.  every 4 to 6 six years or so we'll be 'good', have a nice nba type player, who can win a few extra games or so, and then we start over.  THAT is the sju formula.  don't understand what people just don't come to grips with that reality.

oh and what right does sju, out of all schools, consider firing a staff that HAS SHOWN INCREMENTAL IMPROVEMENT SINCE THEY STARTED?!

YR1:  8 wins
YR2: 14 wins
YR3:  16 wins
YR 4: 21 wins

Plus we have a solid stable of talent coming in next year, which could have us in the NCAA in 2 years.  What rationale sju fan wouldn't sign up for that?!

do i want more?! abso-#$%^ing-lutely.  and i think this staff, worts and all, has been the best we've had since jarvis.  because while i loved lavin, his drama and hollywoodness got in the way.  so i say we roll with them.  i've seen flashes of potential from them, and i think they'll only continue to get better.

You people need to get off your high horse and accept the reality that's been sju for 20+ years. 

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
"Plus we have a solid stable of talent coming in next year, which could have us in the NCAA in 2 years.  What rationale sju fan wouldn't sign up for that?!"

Umm not sure about the roster.  still early too tell but doesn't look good and probably another rebuilding year.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »
The solution is that 'fans' need to stop overhyping ANY sju team like we're a blue blood.  Because news flash, we never were. And never will be. This program's history for the last 25 years or so has been built on being inconsistent.  every 4 to 6 six years or so we'll be 'good', have a nice nba type player, who can win a few extra games or so, and then we start over.  THAT is the sju formula.  don't understand what people just don't come to grips with that reality.

oh and what right does sju, out of all schools, consider firing a staff that HAS SHOWN INCREMENTAL IMPROVEMENT SINCE THEY STARTED?!

Plus we have a solid stable of talent coming in next year, which could have us in the NCAA in 2 years.  What rationale sju fan wouldn't sign up for that?!

do i want more?! abso-#$%^ing-lutely.  and i think this staff, worts and all, has been the best we've had since jarvis.  because while i loved lavin, his drama and hollywoodness got in the way.  so i say we roll with them.  i've seen flashes of potential from them, and i think they'll only continue to get better.

You people need to get off your high horse and accept the reality that's been sju for 20+ years. 

Yesss!!! Finally some sanity.

What I find so odd is the vitriol our fans have towards coaches. They become convinced our coaches are all lazy.

I despised Norm as a coach. I was young and he was clearly in over his head (5-13, 6-12, and 6-12 his final three seasons), but anyone that can make the dance here is good enough for me.

derk

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »

You should tell admin to stop thinking of this school as a blue blood. They run it that way in the sense they feel they don't have to recruit kids, but just roll out the balls and the recruits will come to the storied SJU basketball program. They feel we don't need to upgrade the facilities, nor hire experienced coaches.

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
You should tell admin to stop thinking of this school as a blue blood. They run it that way in the sense they feel they don't have to recruit kids, but just roll out the balls and the recruits will come to the storied SJU basketball program. They feel we don't need to upgrade the facilities, nor hire experienced coaches.

yup.

and lets just ignore the email that went out weeks ago that said the school has formed a committee to investigate how to upgrade the facilities. 

it's like they may actually recognize what's needed.... shocker.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
Maybe SJU wasn’t a blue of blue bloods but they definitely were a force in college basketball.
-They had 30 consecutive win I g season until he mod 90s
-they were a 2 seed in the in 2000
-made an elite 8 run in 1999.

Yes all this was alwhile ago. But this was still a successful program until Jarvis’ tenure.

The real culprit is the incompetence of the Harrington Administration who let this fester, and did nothing to change. He was in power for over 20 years which is unheard of for a college president.

What I like about Gempinshaw is that he cares for the program, is involved, willing to try something different, and learning from his mistakes.

The first AD didn’t work out, so they went to a successful program and found somebody who everyone agrees with is a great hire (let’s see if it pans out). He has some teeth to forces changes to the progra

He President hired Mullin, right now it’s not looking good. I am optimistic that things will change either by forcing to hire new staff, or hiring a new coach.

This are looking up overall because SJU finally has a new administration that looks competent. The big mistake is that the school on focuses on the early 80s, when in fact they were great all he way until really the late 90s. Or at the very least able to make some noise.
Cougar O' Malley