BE Tournament Depaul predictions thread

• 106 replies
BE Tournament Depaul predictions thread
« on: March 10, 2019, 03:58:52 AM »
Most disappointing 7 seed ever - 80
Strongest 10 seed ever            - 74

The one constant of what now seems like a long, too long?, season has been tremendous fan support. Will the base come out and support on a Wednesday night when a plum Thursday start seemed almost certain right to the bitter end?

My enthusiasm level is at a season low. I'll come out Thursday night when we get there.

Re: BE Tournament Depaul predictions thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
DePaul- 84
St. John's-77

In a normal season, DePaul in round 1 is blessing, not this year- a rather abnormal season. We sweat out selection Sunday, if we in Mullin is safe, if not lots of questions and whispers will happen. Will Mullin/Shamorie stay or go after this ending? Will we have decommits? Time will tell- if we win this, it goes away at least for now but recently the team has not given me reason to be optimistic.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
Will Strus be unstoppable again? Will the refs decide to hamstring the game with 55+ foul calls? Will Heron be fully healthy?

Even after this month I don’t think we can lose to Depaul 3 times in a year.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »
St. John's loses by 12

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
Most disappointing 7 seed ever - 80
Strongest 10 seed ever            - 74

The one constant of what now seems like a long, too long?, season has been tremendous fan support. Will the base come out and support on a Wednesday night when a plum Thursday start seemed almost certain right to the bitter end?

My enthusiasm level is at a season low. I'll come out Thursday night when we get there.
Think you answered your own question re the fan base coming out if you're not even going.

jsk

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Johnnies 81
Demons 79

Keeping the Faith!

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
Two games left to the season. This loss, and then first round NIT.

DePaul 90
St Johns 73

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »
Couldn't have asked for a worse first round game. Even a win isn't all that resume boosting, and a loss knocks us right out. I hope we win but don't see it based on the way these two teams are trending.

DePaul- 76
SJU- 69
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:39:19 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
Think you answered your own question re the fan base coming out if you're not even going.

I was hoping I'm an aberration.

redslope

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »
sadly, one and done--next stop NIT

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
Heron, and then, Simon stop Struz and Depaul is toast

cjfish

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »
sadly nobody is toast

cjfish

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
we do apparently own Marquette, Simon takes Howard totally out of the game.  If Simon gets in foul trouble we are history

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
we do apparently own Marquette, Simon takes Howard totally out of the game.  If Simon gets in foul trouble we are history

Did LJ matchup with Strus last game? You would think that might work, he’s big and long enough to handle him. Assuming Simon gets in foul trouble of course.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 10:28:13 PM »
Did LJ matchup with Strus last game? You would think that might work, he’s big and long enough to handle him. Assuming Simon gets in foul trouble of course.

LJ was on him when he lit us up. He wasn’t playing real defense. That’s what this team does.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 02:14:40 AM »
Strus was running our defenders ragged bouncing them off of multiple screens. His conditioning level was off the charts like the energizer bunny.  Garfunkel was our only option and he was in foul trouble.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »
I know the slide has been awful, but I can’t see Shamorie Ponds and the rest of this starting crew going out like that.

Losing four straight to end the season? I don’t see it.

I’m going with the win at MSG.

Johnnies 83
DePaul 71

Ponds with 25. LJ with 21. Simon with 6 steals and 10 boards plays lock down defense on Strus.

This time we don’t let up in the second half.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
LJ was on him when he lit us up. He wasn’t playing real defense. That’s what this team does.

Gotcha, didn’t remember that. As Carmine mentioned, Strus was incredibly active and is already a difficult guy to defend with his size and conditioning, but he also hit a number of shots with no space at all. Ponds can do the same and it’s not because of bad defense.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »
I know the slide has been awful, but I can’t see Shamorie Ponds and the rest of this starting crew going out like that.
Well their permanent history in Johnny lore is all on the table.

They will either go down as beloved figures for all posterity like Horne/Kennedy/Burrell and Greene/Harrison/Pointer, players that struggled mightily for most of their tenure here but finally broke through and triumphed in the end due to hard work, determination and perseverance - or forever be remembered as disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:41:57 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »

Losing four straight to end the season? I don’t see it.

I’m going with the win at MSG.

Johnnies 83
DePaul 71

Ponds with 25. LJ with 21. Simon with 6 steals and 10 boards plays lock down defense on Strus.

This time we don’t let up in the second half.

Logic and common sense would say you're probably right. However this team and what I've seen from them, especially over the last 3 weeks, tells me something different. They look lost out there and continually force the same stuff (iso ball, deep jumpers). If that's not working they're basically toast. They make very few adjustments on offense and it's so painful to watch as they get severely outcoached. Normally we handle DePaul here but they have the blueprint on how to beat us so...

DePaul - 79
SJU - 76