Tim Cluess

• 13 replies
Tim Cluess
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
Interesting read on him. Just curious- what are you guys thoughts? If he had our resources of a Big East program how does his record in season/post-season improve? Is he an Xs and Os guy, would he be a liability with recruiting? We all know recruiting emphasis has taken off to being nationwide, local scene not what it was.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/iona-earns-ncaa-bid-as-maac-dominance-continues/

Re: Tim Cluess
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
Interesting read on him. Just curious- what are you guys thoughts? If he had our resources of a Big East program how does his record in season/post-season improve? Is he an Xs and Os guy, would he be a liability with recruiting? We all know recruiting emphasis has taken off to being nationwide, local scene not what it was.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/iona-earns-ncaa-bid-as-maac-dominance-continues/

He's won everywhere he's been, so I don't see why that would change here.

Now, he's not a young up and comer, so I think that's why big schools have somewhat backed off in interviewing him.  However, if we do make a change after the year, that actually is what intrigues me about him.  I don't think anyone on here has the patience for another long rebuild, and I don't think Cluess would either, so it would probably be a great fit.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
He runs Nba offense a la Mullin. They run up and down fast and loose with players taking 25 ft. threes early in the clock left and right and they don't bother with defense (holding Monmouth to 60 aside).

You guys would hate him.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
He runs Nba offense a la Mullin. They run up and down fast and loose with players taking 25 ft. threes early in the clock left and right and they don't bother with defense (holding Monmouth to 60 aside).

You guys would hate him.

Agree. Works at that level not so much at ours without superior talent.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »

What works at this level?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:24 PM »
What works at this level?

The next SJU Coach that can figure that out will have an imiginary statue right next to Sweet Lou’s imiginary statue.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:13 PM »
I’m weary of MAAC coaches making the jump. The results have not been great in the last 30 years...a ton of firings.

Manahattan alone has Mahoney, Fran, and Bobby G.

If you get 2 guys with Big East ability you can win that conference.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »
I’m weary of MAAC coaches making the jump. The results have not been great in the last 30 years...a ton of firings.

Manahattan alone has Mahoney, Fran, and Bobby G.

If you get 2 guys with Big East ability you can win that conference.

How's John Beiilin doing?

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
He has won everywhere but I’ve watched them quite a bit we probably pull our hair out. That being said can’t argue with results.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »

They may not play 40 minutes of defense or anything close to that, but how would you like our chances tomorrow night if we had Michael Glover, David Laury or Jordan Washington?

Tim Cluess has recruited some ballers. His best 5 against ours over the last ten years, I think it’s a toss up.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
How's John Beiilin doing?

He coached at Richmond for 4-5 years after Canisius. The jump from the MAAC to the Big East is huge. A-10 to the Big East is not.

The coaching is just not as strong in that conference. It’s a stepping stone.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
He coached at Richmond for 4-5 years after Canisius. The jump from the MAAC to the Big East is huge. A-10 to the Big East is not.

The coaching is just not as strong in that conference. It’s a stepping stone.
Fran from siena is doing ok.
Cooley is from Fairfield
Bobby G is a good coach and would have been fine if he wasn’t crazy.
I want more of a defensive guy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
Cluess has paid his dues.  Comes from a basketball family.
He coach St Marys high school in long island for a long time.

He may be long in the tooth but Miami did this w laranaga.

The coach that would be the guy is Brian Wardle.  He played at marquette, turned around the green bay program and now has bradley in the big dance.  He is only 40 years old.  Hed be perfect.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »

The coach that would be the guy is Brian Wardle.  He played at marquette, turned around the green bay program and now has bradley in the big dance.  He is only 40 years old.  Hed be perfect.

Wardle has done a good job at those 2 stops but lets not go crazy now. This year Bradley was the 5 seed in a very down year for the MVC and managed to pick up 3 close wins in the MVC tourney. Would imagine he stays in the Midwest anyway