Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)

• 219 replies
Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:35:21 AM »
Well guys here it is gameday. The first of hopefully many games in this years tournament. Let's see that complete 40 minutes and take home the first NCAA tournament win since I was 11. Funny that it was a team from Arizona last time as well!

Re: Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
I really just want to them see play a weekend game. That would mean winning two--seems like a pipe dream.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
Is there a way to watch Ncaa tournament games archived?

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
If they can force the pace, knock down some early shots, and rebound just a little better than usual they will win the game.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
Only way we have a chance tonight. Get there bigs in foul trouble early, make 3s, Shamorie have 20-30 pt night with solid assists and somehow not collapse after the half. Hurley is a good coach too so this will be difficult. I think its impractical to think we will rebound, so we need their bigs out and have to play smart basketball. No rushed shots and break down defense none of this speed possession nonsense and giving away the ball so easily.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:37:39 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
Exactly 4 years ago today we were firmly in the tournament, we were in the 9 seed vs SDSU. We're back now, fighting for our lives. The narrative is clear. Hurley and his historic family ties, Hurley and his adoration for Chris Mullin growing up. Now...Chris Mullin's tumultuous 4 years at SJU has him in the tournament...but with a win, REALLY, in the tournament. The SJU fan base has been through hell this year. A soft 14-0 start had us dreaming big. Really really big. But our #24 rank and big puffed out chests were deflated, quicker than a fat guy on an flamingo in a vegas pool.

The spiral we have endured has been soul crushing. Watching our best players whittle away the last month and change was hard to watch. But, by the skin, we were the last team in. Now, we have to fight.

According to Vegas, the line has been moving a bunch, the over/under suggests a shoot out, so all we have left to ask is this...will St. John's be able to click on all cylinders like we have seen a handful of times a put together 40 mins of ball?

Here are a few things I'm hanging my hat on: Mustapha Heron can tell the team what to expect here which may not matter much but at least there is some experience. He seemed very happy in the press conference yesterday. Heron has also been our best player along with LJ the last month or so, so both of them will be key. I really want to see Moose impose his will, or at least try to. He needs to be robin to Shamorie's batman.

Marvin Clark has been playing up his excitement of being here as a senior. A lot of the things he said were heartfelt, but I hope it fuels his fire to play well. Clark needs to hit a few 3's early and get confident. Clark will also likely be matched up against Cheatham who is tough...and Clark has been known to draw a ton of fouls. Which is something ASU does well all year. Cheatham is a double-double threat with 13 of them this season, and will arguably be the one who paces the Sun Devils. (There's also Remy Martin who is coming off an groin injury, is probably playing and will also be a leader for them, but what % will he be at, as he was limited vs Oregon last Friday)

Simon will have his hands full with Dort, but what I'm more concerned his his offensive shoot selection. It's been pretty damn bad all year, but where he succeeds is in the paint, so I'd like to see him drive, and maybe play a bit to the basket. I don't want him shooting...at all. 

Shamorie. Big stage, bright lights...can the real Slick please please stand up. He's essentially been a ghost for a large part of the 2nd half of the season. A few sparks here and there but since January we haven't seen the best of Slick. What better time then now? I think if we don't get at least 25-28 pts from him, and he doesn't bring the offensive fire power to give this team confidence of the ball going through the hoop, we lose. Simple as that. For someone who has seen his draft stock take a hit, there's no better time to prove you're one of the best then tonight.

Will we see the bench utilized in a big game? The size of Keita, Roberts, and Earlington brought in to offset some potential fouls, and possibly give us some boards vs ASU's 6'10 Lake, 6'8 Cheatham + Cherry + White, and 6'7 Lawrence + Mitchell?? Will Trimble get in the game, will he hit the open 3's if he gets them? Will Greg Williams be used to spell Shamorie at all?

Looking at the numbers, ASU shoots a ton of free throws, draw a lot of fouls, and have a pretty balanced line up, similar to us. Of course they have more size but everyone in the country does. They also have more tournament experience. We have been plagued by committing tons of fouls, early in the 1st half that kill our momentum, force us to get annoyed and then we sulk. Our defense has not been great, we've given up 78 or more pts in the last 5 of 7 games. We have to tighten up.

SJU hasn't won a game in the NCAA tournament in 19 years. They were literally the last team in. And...How about another piece of bulletin board material for us, we lost to ASU in 2017, 82-70, where Romello White torched us for 22 pts and 9 boards. Time for revenge, on a grand scale.

This team has been on a rollercoaster, the fans have been right behind them, some (many) pissed off we are even in this position, but that's all gone. It's a brand new slate. An opportunity to move forward and start rebuilding the winning culture this basketball program was once known for. It starts tonight. Get the Win! Go Red Storm!

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
This could get ugly tonight. Cheatham is an animal on the glass and White is a strong post player. Their guards are legit too. The only chance we have is if Ponds goes off for 30+. Even then, still a longshot.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
Good luck all!

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
Any chance the duke of earlington gets some run tonight?  Id like to see mullin give him a shot w/ some prime time minutes.

We need to change something up to pull out a win tonight.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:41:35 PM by Mullins Revenge »

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
Any chance the duke of earlington gets some run tonight?  Id like to see mullin give him a shot w/ some prime time minutes.

We need to change something up to pull out a win tonight.

Probably send Simon down to the minors. That should work.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
This could get ugly tonight. Cheatham is an animal on the glass and White is a strong post player. Their guards are legit too. The only chance we have is if Ponds goes off for 30+. Even then, still a longshot.

We’re not playing world beaters here. It’s a deeply flawed team from a weak conference. Plenty of scenarios could lead to a Johnnies W, tho Ponds going on a run would be nice.

To that end I think we come out hot, are creative defending their bigs, LJ and Heron get some big rebounds and we win by 10.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:09:30 PM by survivedc »

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

Arizona state lost to 11 win Washington state by 21 at home. They lost back to back home games to Princeton and Utah. St. John’s beat 5 tourney teams and didn’t lose to a team under .500 all year. Try some optimism.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
We’re not playing world beaters here. It’s a deeply flawed team from a weak conference.

When was the last time a BE team who won the both regular season and tournament championships where ranked as low as a 6th seed for the NCAA tournament? This isn’t the year we speak of weak conferences. BE was really down this year.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »
Score more points than them

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:54:31 PM »
When was the last time a BE team who won the both regular season and tournament championships where ranked as low as a 6th seed for the NCAA tournament? This isn’t the year we speak of weak conferences. BE was really down this year.

More than one conference can be weak at a time.

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »
Arizona state lost to 11 win Washington state by 21 at home. They lost back to back home games to Princeton and Utah. St. John’s beat 5 tourney teams and didn’t lose to a team under .500 all year. Try some optimism.

ASU has won 6 of their last 8 games with the only two losses coming against a red hot Oregon team. It's a team playing some of their best ball of the year against a team who is clearly not. Nothing to do with optimism, just facts.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
St John's Arizona St Preview http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
Ponds has been getting hyped by Whitehead and others. He's watched the tournament. I'm sure he knows his stock is down for going pro. I'd HOPE there is a fire under him to ball out tonight and moving forward. Fingers crossed

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
ASU has won 6 of their last 8 games with the only two losses coming against a red hot Oregon team. It's a team playing some of their best ball of the year against a team who is clearly not. Nothing to do with optimism, just facts.

That’s fair but if we win this game it won’t be an upset.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.