Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)

• 219 replies
Re: Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2019, 12:13:22 AM »
This team had second weekend talent was but undisciplined and stop playing after the Hall game. Best game we played all year was New Years Day.

goredmen

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
Maybe ponds returns

I think it's pretty much all but certain that he's not coming back, nor should he. He has nothing to gain by coming back for another season.

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2019, 12:19:06 AM »
8-14-16-21 wins...if LJ Heron Simon ponds returns...no one thinks we will be better? Maybe Ponds returns...his draft status this year and next won't change much....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:20:18 AM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2019, 12:21:58 AM »
8-14-16-21 wins...if LJ Heron Simon ponds returns...no one thinks we will be better? Maybe Ponds returns...his draft status this year and next won't change much....

Buckeye, I know things can change, and it does at times.  But I'm hearing Ponds is gone, and Heron probably will depart as well. 

IMO, those 21 wins was somewhat of a mirage.  I mean we won 10 games facing 'Little Debbie' cream pies.  Remember, we started out 12-0 and finished the season 9-13 (the 13th loss coming tonight).  We was "thisclose" to being the overall #1 seed in the NIT. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:24:02 AM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2019, 12:27:12 AM »
Maybe ponds returns

He doesn’t look like an NBA player right now. Maybe he should return.

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2019, 12:28:05 AM »
Buckeye, I know things can change, and it does at times.  But I'm hearing Ponds is gone, and Heron probably will depart as well. 

IMO, those 21 wins was somewhat of a mirage.  I mean we won 10 games facing 'Little Debbie' cream pies.  Remember, we started out 12-0 and finished the season 9-13 (the 13th loss coming tonight).  We was "thisclose" to being the overall #1 seed in the NIT. 

Ponds can get overseas anytime he wants...he is project #59 in this years draft. Possibly undrafted..Minus well stay.

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »
Maybe it is an over-reaction based on the emotion of the season ending. Maybe I'll come down off this ledge in the next few days. Maybe I won't.

Right now, I'm looking for a reason to be optimistic about this program moving forward. I'm having real trouble identifying those reasons

Briefly: as much as Ponds is an all time great top talent for this school, I think LJ has a better ability to return the team to prominence.

I don’t think we can run the same 4/5 out/straight run offense next year, which, as much as I like, requires the right personnel. A good rim running center like the guy down at Texas Tech would’ve fit great here.

Regardless think Mullin will have to adapt and build around LJ and I think he will.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:32:46 AM by survivedc »

goredmen

« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39:17 AM »
Briefly: as much as Ponds is an all time great top talent for this school, I think LJ has a better ability to return the team to prominence.

I don’t think we can run the same 4/5 out/straight run offense next year, which, as much as I like, requires the right personnel. A good rim running center like the guy down at Texas Tech would’ve fit great here.

Regardless think Mullin will have to adapt and build around LJ and I think he will.

Again, maybe this is the frustration from the loss talking, but when has Mullin ever proven he can adapt? We've been doing the same thing for 4 years in a row now pretty much regardless of who is on the court.

I love LJ. I think he's going to be a great player for us for as long as he's here. But he's not Ponds. He's not gonna be a guy that takes over a game down the stretch when team needs him to. And even if does become that type of player next year, who is going to help him out? We saw this year that as good as Ponds is, he still needs help. And the players around Ponds this year were more talented than the role players that will be around LJ next year, unless a rabbit or 2 is pulled out of a hat late in the process again

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »
I really feel for Marvin. Dude gave his all to the program but he had the two worst games of his career to end his time here. I hope when it's all said and done we can remember his time here fondly. I know I will.

pmg911

« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »
I said it earlier in this thread...

The game last night is on the players - they sucked last night. They $HIT the bed in the MOST important game of their St. John's careers.

They were being handed a chance to be right in that game at the start of the 2nd half last night and they did nothing with it.

Overall, does the coaching need to improve - 100% but last night is not on the coaches.

Johnny23

« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »

Based on what? LJ will have even less proven scoring options around him next year. Nobody knows how Cam Mack or Steere will adjust at the Big East level. The rest of the incoming guys are Mehhh, at best.  He'll still have the same crappy, nonexistent coaching from the sidelines. Mullin has also proven so far that he doesn't know how to recruit or coach effective bigs and low post players. This is one of the elephants in the room as every damn announcer in the world has said just take it inside against the Johnnies. It's painfully obvious to the casual eye.

Your unbridled optimism isn't supported by a lot of substance. They will most certainly finish in the lower half of the league next year as currently constructed. This program needs a real, experienced X's and O's coach with a plan.

This was Mullin's year to prove he could thrive at this level. All the stars were lined up for him and he failed.

« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:26 AM »
Please for the love of God recruit a big man who can rebound and play defense.

« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
Some thoughts:
1. Mullin has to get an Xs and Os coach, a coach with more experience and a better recruiter of HS talent to compliment and/or replace Matt if he leaves. No excuse for getting crushed on bench, not getting your young bigs work early on in season. Offense was horrid- the only way to beat a bigger team is to run at them and get them in foul trouble not take stupid 3s as your offense and never get a rebound. Work the ball down. Break down a defense. Play hard all game- lazy TOs are on coaching and players you recruited here.

2. Ponds can be "greedy" and go for Euro money but that would be foolish he did not have a great season and hurt even potential NBA stock. Finish off career/degree and take us back to post-season. Not the way you want to end your time here. Same with Heron.

3. How I see it, Chris gets one more chance with the pedestrian incoming class that will hopefully bring depth. Hard to fire him with his status here right now, but after next year may be left with no choice. Gtown, SHU, Providence will all be better. This was the weak BE year we needed to take control and we failed. And if he fails, we need to give Mark Jackson a call, still firmly believe it..........

Poison

« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
I really feel for Marvin. Dude gave his all to the program but he had the two worst games of his career to end his time here. I hope when it's all said and done we can remember his time here fondly. I know I will.

We should remember players fondly because they’re people.

« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
Yes I am all for a shakeup in the staff...Mullin needs Cragg to light a fire under him and have him out recruiting / get rid of Richmond / quit complaining to the refs / hire x and o guy etc....but last night was not on Mullin.

Ponds - wish you well...think he should come back but he has had one foot out the door since January. He could have been all time favorite Johnnie but still have he behind Dwight Hardy / DLO / Marcus Hatten

Heron- think he struggled this year being 2nd option and he picked the worst game to have the worst game of his LIFE. Just think he makes those foul shots it’s a 6 point game with 16 min left never no...I do think he is an outside chance to comeback

Simon- plays hard Just is in wrong system cause he cannot shot....hopefully he is back and has a pointer like senior season

Clark- Good Riddance ....he sucked awful senior year ....don’t want to hear this crap he is a kid ....great story great inspiration sucked he played out of position but let’s not sugar coat it he was awful practically all big east play.

LJ- Stud deserves an A played his heart out his team and hopefully Heron next year.

Keita- many say he is leaving won’t miss him can’t believe people thought he was better then Owens

Trimble - plays hard but just can’t knock it at this level another transfer option ...I think he goes

Williams - love this kid potential and hope he stays should see big minutes next year

Earlington- transfer

Roberts- one year in weight room and proper coaching from hopefully new hire he will be good hope he stays last

Hopefully Eli Wright / Steer and Carher can ball and provide depth scoring and rebounding.

Mack think will get big minutes

Manuel - I don’t think makes it to campus

Recruiting Outlook- Need two grad transfers a guard and Big men and One sit out ....we can kiss Precious goodbye I would think
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:03:07 AM by talkbigeast »

cjfish

« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »

The game last night is on the players - they sucked last night. They $HIT the bed in the MOST important game of their St. John's careers.

They were being handed a chance to be right in that game at the start of the 2nd half last night and they did nothing with it.

Overall, does the coaching need to improve - 100% but last night is not on the coaches.

Agree with all your points.  The game was as horrible as it gets.  Heron and Clark 1 for 17,  if they make 7 or 8 we win.  Poor free throwing as well.  We actually outrebounded them which should have led to an easy win.  Worst performance of the year in the most important game.  Not on the coaching staff, more on the players who could not put the ball in the ocean.  The took the first half completely off but played good D in the second, only to let poor shot selection and careless play stifle what should have been an effective comeback.  Depressing.  Lets hope Precious wants to be the center of a program and not just a piece at a top school.  I think Heron stays and Ponds should too, but I doubt it.   

« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »

Where was the adjustments? 

« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »
Based on what? LJ will have even less proven scoring options around him next year. Nobody knows how Cam Mack or Steere will adjust at the Big East level. The rest of the incoming guys are Mehhh, at best.  He'll still have the same crappy, nonexistent coaching from the sidelines. Mullin has also proven so far that he doesn't know how to recruit or coach effective bigs and low post players. This is one of the elephants in the room as every damn announcer in the world has said just take it inside against the Johnnies. It's painfully obvious to the casual eye.

Your unbridled optimism isn't supported by a lot of substance. They will most certainly finish in the lower half of the league next year as currently constructed. This program needs a real, experienced X's and O's coach with a plan.

This was Mullin's year to prove he could thrive at this level. All the stars were lined up for him and he failed.

I'm a huge fan of the kid, but Figueroa isn't a "Batman."  He's a heckuva "Robin," though.  So, I find it hard he'll be able to lead the team back to prominence without the services of Ponds and Heron. 

We better hope a recruit is on board next season.

« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »
We should remember players fondly because they’re people.

This is deep.

Johnny23

« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the kid, but Figueroa isn't a "Batman."  He's a heckuva "Robin," though.  So, I find it hard he'll be able to lead the team back to prominence without the services of Ponds and Heron. 

We better hope a recruit is on board next season.

Agree. He really is a great 2nd option but definitely not a Ponds "gimme the damn ball" type.

The more we discuss it on here the more of a reality finishing 9th or 10th in the conf looks like for next season if there are no coaching improvements made.