Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)

• 219 replies
Re: Game 34: vs. Arizona State (NCAA Tournament, First Four)
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
All the stars were lined up for him and he failed.

A season in which you qualify for the Ncaa tournament at St. John's is not a failure.  It's a success.

SJUFAN

« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
A season in which you qualify for the Ncaa tournament at St. John's is not a failure.  It's a success.

So your satisfied with the direction of the program?

« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »

He already said awhile ago that he's fine with Mullin and he can leave on his own terms.  I don't know if he's serious or trolling.

If it's the former, then no need to dialogue with him.  Actually, if it's the latter, then do the same as the former.

« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »

I’m encouraged by the progress, disappointed by the ending.

I don’t think it’s fair to view the season in a vacuum. We have been more competitive with better talent every season. Gotta see if that continues into next season.

« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
I’m encouraged by the progress, disappointed by the ending.

I don’t think it’s fair to view the season in a vacuum. We have been more competitive with better talent every season. Gotta see if that continues into next season.

"Progress."  Looking at the season in a vacuum would be be considering the season as progress, IMO.  Even with better talent, we still finished 7th in what was widely considered a down Big East. 

Guess what?  Our talent level is likely to downgrade next season. 

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
"Progress."  Looking at the season in a vacuum would be be considering the season as progress, IMO.  Even with better talent, we still finished 7th in what was widely considered a down Big East. 

Guess what?  Our talent level is likely to downgrade next season. 

Progress is a relative term. How can you have progress if you look at a single season in a vacuum?

Johnny23

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »

Not in year 4 of a down league it's not. It's a brief spike in the graph which indicates that there's another downturn coming next season.

« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Progress is a relative term. How can you have progress if you look at a single season in a vacuum?

Progress is relative or subjective.  So, let's not start with the riddles.  Say what you mean and stick to it with convictions. 

Okay....  Let's just look at his entire tenure at St. John's.  It's worst than Norm Roberts, and Roberts had to initially coach with scholarship and postseason banishments (Mullin had to deal with no such banishments).  Not to mention, Roberts coached in a better Big East with several HOF coaches. 

Based on current noise, next season is looking to be worst than this season. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:46:23 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
Progress is relative or subjective.  So, let's not start with the riddles.  Say what you mean and stick to it with convictions. 

I said exactly what I mean. Did we not have better talent this year than the previous 3? Were we not more competitive (read: W/L, Tournament berth) than we have been?

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
I said exactly what I mean. Did we not have better talent this year than the previous 3? Were we not more competitive (read: W/L, Tournament berth) than we have been?

The first question is subjective.  Even if you wanna believe it to be true, we (our better talent) failed based on prognostications. 

Competitive....  Earlier in the conference season, yes.  We got our butts kicked during the latter part of the season, and was slaughtered by Duke and, in the Big East Tournament, by Marquette. 8-10 in conference play (7th place finish) and 9-13 after starting out 12-0 (1-5 down the stretch, and losses were nearly 15ppg in that stretch).  That's looking at a season in full, and not in a vacuum.  Live by your own words.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:26:30 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
The first question is subjective.  Even if you wanna believe it to be true, we (our better talent) failed based on prognostications. 

Competitive....  Earlier in the conference season, yes.  We got our butts kicked during the latter part of the season, and was slaughtered by Duke and, in the Big East Tournament, by Marquette. 8-10 in conference play (7th place finish) and 9-13 after starting out 12-0 (1-5 down the stretch, and losses were nearly 15ppg in that stretch).  That's looking at a season in full, and not in a vacuum.  Live by your own words.

Do you think we had better talent before this year, or are you just being difficult?

Refer to my original post on the subject where I noted the end to the season was disappointing. I’m well aware of that.

Of the four seasons that Chris Mullin has been the head coach at St. John’s which year was the best overall record:
A)2016
B)2017
C)2018
D)2019
E)I’ll avoid the question

Which year was the best Big East Record:
A)2016
B)2017
C)2018
D)2019
E)Can you repeat the question?

I like you so I’ll grade on a curve.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:47:32 PM by survivedc »

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
Do you think we had better talent before this year, or are you just being difficult?

Refer to my original post on the subject where I noted the end to the season was disappointing. I’m well aware of that.

Of the four seasons that Chris Mullin has been the head coach at St. John’s which year was the best overall record:
A)2016
B)2017
C)2018
D)2019
E)I’ll avoid the question

Which year was the best Big East Record:
A)2016
B)2017
C)2018
D)2019
E)Can you repeat the question?

I like you so I’ll grade on a curve.

It's relative....  Remember? 

So, much for looking at a season in a vacuum, huh? 

What was Mullin progressing on?  As, fordham stated on the other board....  His own record!  If he had went from 4-14 to 13-5, then I'd see your point.  Has he progressed from whom we fired?  No!  When you move on from a coach, you're moving on for the sake of betterment.  Not being worse or status quo.     

Dude, we only won one more conference game this season as we won in Year 2.  I'm sensing we're going to take a step back next season.   

Poison

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
In order to really improve next year the program needs to recognize the problem.

It’s much more than not bothering to defend, or forcing up shots early in the shot clock.

Mullin doesn’t have a system that works in college. He is the problem. This team would have been much better with a competent staff.

Foad

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
Post mortem:

http://www.bigeastboards.com/

PS, you all suck

« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
It's relative....  Remember? 

So, much for looking at a season in a vacuum, huh? 

What was Mullin progressing on?  As, fordham stated on the other board....  His own record!  If he had went from 4-14 to 13-5, then I'd see your point.  Has he progressed from whom we fired?  No!  When you move on from a coach, you're moving on for the sake of betterment.  Not being worse or status quo.     

Dude, we only won one more conference game this season as we won in Year 2.  I'm sensing we're going to take a step back next season.   

MJ, please. Do you think I’m some kind of simpleton? Of course I am judging Mullin’s progress in relation to Carnesecca’s record!

It’s a vacuum remember?

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:37 PM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:56:52 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Rodman

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »
The coach and the staff simply has no idea of how to prepare the team for a big game, Everything was wrong tonight. The players, who we know can be very good, did not have the right mindset and this in on the coach and the staff.

My suggestion is tot get rid of the coach and entire staff and start over. 

+1

This has to be on the coaching staff.  This is not a young inexperienced team.  There is no excuse for all the games this year that they did not get up for.  The coaching staff did not do their jobs and prepare the team for this moment.  I love Mullin.  But, I think it is time for him to go.

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2019, 02:06:19 AM »

The direction of the program is increases in victories four years running and now an Ncaa tournament bid. Everybody likes that direction.

Satisfied?  No, I can't get no satisfaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZNgKHOdfQA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:28:42 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
The thing I just do not understand is as a coaching neophyte, Mullin did not start the job with an experienced staff right away and the only experience he brought on i.e. Slice left right away.  Matt A's job is  strictly recruiter so that is fine and he has fit the role nicely.

The job of coaching a Big East program is not an easy endeavor, however, it should have been a no brainer to have a Dunlap type figure there to help the transition. You figure that coach would have also pitched in with recruiting. One could even argue that Slice was not great Xs and Os guy.

Do you think the new AD has a chat with Mullin about bringing on some experienced staff? If we had that staff in place we do not see the dysfunction we saw this year and perhaps we have more HS recruits in the pipeline.

TONYD3

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
Post mortem:

http://www.bigeastboards.com/

PS, you all suck
Does the empty suit do the honorable thing and quit?