Next Year...

• 312 replies
Re: Next Year...
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
Not having Owens really ruined the year.  For example, with him, we would have beaten Depaul at home with Ponds hurt.  They just kept feeding the post, we kept fouling, and Mullin had no answer other than to yell at the refs for the foul calls. 

Owens presence would have likely been enough to split the home and homes with providence and Xavier too.

That's 24 wins.  Who knows how it would have affected each tournament game but probably one win in one of those.  So 25 total. 

The process became difficult this year once Owens bailed because we had no one of worth (keita stinks, Roberts is too green, and clark is not big enough on d despite his best efforts) at the 4 or 5. 

Now, if we had a guy who was an experienced head coach, he could have won those 25 games without Owens. But we don't.

I agree, but just wonder- how could Mullin and rest of staff not convince him to stay- knowing this was the year they expected a jump and were trying for some type of run??

pmg911

« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
That makes ZERO sense... Heron(AND Ponds) could only HELP their NBA resume leading a TEN deep team with Mack, Williams, Steere, Manuel, Wright, Carreher, Trimble, Robets & Ellington.... I want Mullin gone too but his offense gives Herron ALL the freedom in the world... and with depth now we can press a LOT more and rebound the ball better to start the fast break.... and save the “insider” bullshit...Tabor will be a Johnnie. Book it..... unless they completely drop the ball on the coaching staff.... and I think this Duke guy is out to carve his own niche.... first call goes to Johnny Dawkins... than Mark Jackson or than another younger proven college coach.

Old Red or Scotch is back again....    things might get a little spicy

CloWN

ras

« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
I agree, but just wonder- how could Mullin and rest of staff not convince him to stay- knowing this was the year they expected a jump and were trying for some type of run??
Owens father wasn’t happy w Mullins system and his sons role. This pains me to write , but he looks like a genius w the move to TT. Owens gained weight, improved on a great team.

« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
Holding out hope for a savior to replace him hasn't worked so far for this regime.
That is incorrect.  It just worked in the season that ended 1 week ago.  We made the Ncaa tournament.  Did you miss it?
Your answer would've been closer to 100% if you had also included the big elephant in the room. Coaching upgrade!!!
I'll assume by coaching upgrade you're referring to some type of juggling of the assistant coaching staff? I'm sure nobody is vehemently opposed to that - myself included. 

You do know that we're not going to replace a coach for the second time in a row coming off of a tournament bid, right? And that's not even taking into account that the present coach is Babe Ruth.

« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
Not having Owens really ruined the year.   
That is a true statement.

However, it seems disingenuous to complain about losing a player to transfer while we're playing and benefiting from the transfer game more than anyone.

SJUFAN

« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
Owens father wasn’t happy w Mullins system and his sons role. This pains me to write , but he looks like a genius w the move to TT. Owens gained weight, improved on a great team.

This isn’t being factored into the “making progress” thought. Who is overseeing our strength and conditioning program? Who is overseeing our player development program? Do we even have these programs? The word will get out and will make it even more difficult to bring in top talent. We are going to be in for a rough year next year.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:05:59 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
You do know that we're not going to replace a coach for the second time in a row coming off of a tournament bid, right? And that's not even taking into account that the present coach is Babe Ruth.

Why not replace him? Wasn’t Lavin replaced for the purpose of improving? Has Mullins four years been an improvement over Lavin? When we don’t make the tournament next year and lose less than 21 games, will you feel we regressed and be ready for change for the best interest of the program?

« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Why not replace him? Wasn’t Lavin replaced for the purpose of improving? Has Mullins four years been an improvement over Lavin? When we don’t make the tournament next year and lose less than 21 games, will you feel we regressed and be ready for change for the best interest of the program?

What is the point in asking such extended hypothetical yet ambiguous questions?

Foad

« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
What is the point in asking such extended hypothetical yet ambiguous questions?

Black ops.

Foad

« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
Expect that some things might happen in the coming weeks, some expected and some unexpected. Check my avatar for further information.

Foad

« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
Sense that some coaches may or may not be leaving or not leaving and some players also might be leaving or staying or some other ones might becoming in or not. Counsel patience.

Foad

« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
Partly cloudy tomorrow with a change of showers. Bring an umbrella.

Foad

« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:34 PM »
Sources tell me that Matt Abracadabra may or may not be leaving for Nebraska or Oklahoma. He left for LSU at this time last year so probably he will again. Sense his wife is from Iowa or Ohio. Will know more later in the week after whatever is going to happen happens. Stay tuned and in the meanwhile time to move on.

Foad

« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »
No legs to the rumor that Roshown McLeod is leaving the program. Loves Mullin and Mahoney. Take that to the bank.

Foad

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Matt just unfollowed Zendon Hamilton on Twitter. Not a good sign. Just saying.

Foad

« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
Sergio Lyuk is in remission and has been given a clean bill of health. Two more years of eligibility. About time we got some good news.

Foad

« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
Hearing that Jarvis to the Washington Bullets is a done deal. Not sure what that means for the Alpha Bangura commit but sense it means something. Stay tuned.

Foad

« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »
Sense that  Darious Mile commit is imminent. If so, a huge get until he transfers.

« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
Snore

Foad

« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
Hearing that Jeff Wolfinger stole Erick Barley's SUV. Sense this will not end well.