Next Year...

• 312 replies

pmg911

Next Year...
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
While I think every player on the team should return, we will lose a few.

Ponds - he should stay in school but he will leave. Would love to know if he has been attending his classes. I don't see him being able to play in the NBA today, he is just too small. Might have a chance to pass Mullin as All Time leading scorer if he stays.

Heron - so much potential, picked worse possible day to play his worst game of year. He will be back and be the team's best player next year.

Simon - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't leave as graduate transfer (if he is eligible)

Earlington, Trimble or Williams will transfer - every school loses kids every year. I hope Williams stays. I have never been a fan of Trimble  - plays hard but I just don't think he is that good for this level.

Poison

Re: Next Year...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
It doesn’t matter if that dumb, lazy shit is still the coach.

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
Heron and Simon are the biggest recruits of the offseason. Along w LJ would make a good start. Would love to see Williams and Roberts back. I think they showed flashes. It will be interesting to see what we get from newcomers Mack, Steere and Wright.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
Heron is leaving.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
Heron is leaving.

Just curious - what makes you seem sure about that..?

No knock on the kid but he has no chance of getting drafted and could really raise his profile as number one option on offense next year.

Wods317

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »
Heron is leaving.

I would agree odds are he goes. He’s a guy though who has the size to be an nba player and could be drafted w a strong senior season.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »

No knock on the kid but he has no chance of getting drafted and could really raise his profile as number one option on offense next year.

Maybe, pops isn't satisfied with how things are going?

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »

He regressed in his one year at SJU. This staff has shown no ability to develop players at all. He regrets coming here in the first place, no way he sticks around for longer. The longer he stays the less $ he'll make. He and his family knows that.

Also, if the insiders are correct it sounds like Tabor who is like a younger brother to Heron is decommitting and won't be coming here. Doesn't sound like a family willing to stick around

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Heron has hit his ceiling here unless he's in a system more conducive to his skillset. To have him constantly go up against guys 3-4 inches taller than him was just a dumb strategy employed by this coaching staff.

This is about the players but it's even moreso about the coaching they're receiving. It's a two pronged problem with the coaching being the bigger issue.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
If Matty A is indeed rejoining Hoiberg in the heartland then I say there is no better opportunity to ask Chris if he really wants to stay.

I'm no Chris Mullin stan, to me growing up the dude was an annoying Indiana Pacer trying to #$%^ with my Knicks. I think if he's willing to stay even after all that and a staff change he could have another year but if everything goes to shit in 19-20 don't be afraid to fire him.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
I know its not next year but on Redmen they are talking that do not count on Tabor to be suiting up for St.JOhns....When it rains it pours

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
If Matty A is indeed rejoining Hoiberg in the heartland then I say there is no better opportunity to ask Chris if he really wants to stay.

I'm no Chris Mullin stan, to me growing up the dude was an annoying Indiana Pacer trying to #$%^ with my Knicks. I think if he's willing to stay even after all that and a staff change he could have another year but if everything goes to shit in 19-20 don't be afraid to fire him.

If current rumblings and potential exits turn out to be true, then expect a 9th or 10th place finish next season.  Hell!  We finished 7th this season in what was supposed to be a solid roster in a down Big East.

In order to finish better than 7th, everyone would need to return and all of our incoming players would have to be eligible.  We all know that isn't likely to happen.

Best case scenario: Everyone but Ponds returns, along with the incoming players showing up and being eligible.  Matt A. also returns. 

Worst case scenario: Ponds and Heron bails.  Simon decides to go elsewhere for his 5th and final season.  2/3 of our 2018 class transfers.  Manuel isn't eligible.  And, Matt A. goes to Nebraska with Hoiberg, and potentially takes someone with him. 

Scary as it sounds, but the worst case scenario is on the table.   

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Tabor is so far away, a kid committing two years before he leaves high school there is always a chance to lose them, especially if they blow up.

Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
this team is going to be bad next year...they will have to fire mullin then anyway. might as well pressure him to leave if Matt a bolts

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
Tabor is so far away, a kid committing two years before he leaves high school there is always a chance to lose them, especially if they blow up.

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with him "blowing up."

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
Guys - the school is not going to fire the Chris Mullin...  forget about his status as the best player in school history...

They owe him $4mm over the next two years....  they will never ever eat that money.

I do think they need to gut the entire staff though - Matt A included...

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
Guys - the school is not going to fire the Chris Mullin...  forget about his status as the best player in school history...

They owe him $4mm over the next two years....  they will never ever eat that money.

I do think they need to gut the entire staff though - Matt A included...

They don't have to fire him....  yet.  There's creative ways to make a move.  For example, they could pay him for next year's salary and still have him depart.  Of course, he'll leave his sixth year salary on the table, but that could be a possible move going forward. 

If Mullin still envisions a team playing a certain style, then bringing in an entire different staff won't matter.  Mullin will also have to get off his rear hind, and go out and recruit.

Several things need to be determined heading into the spring.

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
If Matt A leaves and everybody expected to leave does (Ponds, Heron etc.) is there any way we aren't a dead last team next year?

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with him "blowing up."

Lesson should be, stop trusting kids from Connecticut