Next Year...

• 312 replies

goredmen

Re: Next Year...
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
Where is Heron going? He's going to transfer somewhere else? Or head to Europe?

Another year in college isn’t going to change his pro prospects. He’ll go wherever to make some money

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
Mullin needs to clean house. On the court and on the bench.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
Mullin needs to clean house. On the court and on the bench.

No bigger problem than Mullin. He can start with himself.

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »
Seriously?? You make it sound as if it's Pitino or bust. Quite frankly, I'd probably pass on him because of the ridiculous amount of baggage he comes with. That said, there's a lot of talented candidates on the talent scale between Pitino and Mullin.

Who would I bring in? I'd start with Nate Oats. He's proven, young and hungry. They just signed him to an extension but if I were SJU I'd cover the buyout and bring him in. However that's not the way SJU operates so they would never do this. It's a shame but it is what it is.

After Oats, I'd go after Musselman, Odom (UMBC), Miller (UNC-G), Moser (Loyola - Chi), and Brannen (Northern Kentucky).

There's plenty of names out there who have proven themselves and built winning programs from nothing.

It's not like you don't get rid of Mullin because there's no one better out there. From Mullin's record we can see that is not the case.

I only listed some names off the top of my head. There's more qualified names out there either as head guys or assistant coaches.

If Cragg is worth his salt, he'll have a plan to target his guy. That's how I'd go about it.

Cragg doesn't have the balls to make that move.  Mullin is posterboy for this Program. Not happening.  As long as this program is not in the gutter, SJU will live behind Mullin.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:53:43 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
Cragg doesn't have the balls to make that move.  Mullin is posterboy for this Program. Not happening.
If we do have to hire a new coach for whatever reason have a feeling Cragg may go with a Dookie connection after 30 plus years with Coach K.

Johnny23

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
Cragg doesn't have the balls to make that move.  Mullin is posterboy for this Program. Not happening.  As long as this program is not in the gutter, SJU will live behind Mullin.

We shall see. It's a shame but may be true. For many fans this program has been in the gutter for almost 20 years now.

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
We will find out pretty soon if Cragg has the juice or is just another feckless AD hire in a long line of them at ST. John's.

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »
I'm all for everyone having the right to pursue professional opportunities and make as much money as possible.  But I've seen speculation on what Matt A makes.  Can you live more comfortably here than in freaking Nebraska?  Hello no.  Can you still live pretty darn comfortably here?  Absolutely.   I am fortunate enough to make a good living, perhaps even a great living by most standards, and I absolutely would trade somewhat less money to stay around her than to be in a place like Nebraska.  Not knocking Lincoln, but I'm from this area and my whole family lives in the tri-state area, and I put a premium on that.  If Matt A loves the school and NYC as much as he professes, I would be shocked that he'd leave NYC and a great gig to go to freaking Lincoln, Nebraska.  And if he does, maybe he doesn't as much as we all thought. 

I haven't spoken to Matt about his future but knowing him as well as I do there is probably serious consideration going to Nebraska.

1. He LOVES St. John's and NY. Certainly a dream of his and know his loyalty is strong here.
2. If he gets offered more $$ with more security and cheaper living costs thats hard to pass up
3. He's largely responsible for roster here and while I think the talent is there if results aren't eventually he gets lumped into losing.

College coaching is all about momentum and striking while hot. It's why Bobby Hurley is coaching Arizona State and Andy Toole is still at Robert Morris. I'd argue the latter is a better coach but he didn't jump when the opportunity was presented and he's stuck.

I'd be incredibly sad if he left and this is all my own opinions but I'd understand it.

Additionally even if he stayed St. John's needs to add more to staff for success. It can happen but not confident it will.

sju89tr

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
I'm all for everyone having the right to pursue professional opportunities and make as much money as possible.  But I've seen speculation on what Matt A makes.  Can you live more comfortably here than in freaking Nebraska?  Hello no.  Can you still live pretty darn comfortably here?  Absolutely.   I am fortunate enough to make a good living, perhaps even a great living by most standards, and I absolutely would trade somewhat less money to stay around her than to be in a place like Nebraska.  Not knocking Lincoln, but I'm from this area and my whole family lives in the tri-state area, and I put a premium on that.  If Matt A loves the school and NYC as much as he professes, I would be shocked that he'd leave NYC and a great gig to go to freaking Lincoln, Nebraska.  And if he does, maybe he doesn't as much as we all thought. 

I think Matt loves NYC and SJU but let's not forget his wife is a Midwestern girl and they just had a baby, maybe she wants to go home and he can be with his mentor in nearby Nebraska. Matt is a hustler and I am sure that he will do what's best for him and his family. Recruiters are replaceable and a lot of them are New Yorkers so he's replaceable.

As for the rest of the staff, St. Jean needs to be replaced by Mike Rice. Richmond to a Keady role and get another guy in here who can teach basketball. Need a real DOBO too.     

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
We lose an all BE caliber player in Ponds. Clearly Heron and his family aren't happy with how it went here this season. He's almost definitely gone too. Mack will take time to adjust. Eli Wright might be serviceable but will be far from a guy that can carry the scoring load for a good team. I'm not expecting much of anything out of Caraher. Steere will be a good piece, but another guy that isn't a game changer.

Unless we find guys again that aren't currently on the radar that can play immediately, it's hard not to see how we don't completely fall off a cliff next year.

That's why despite his comments I wouldn't be surprised if Mullin does step down. His top and only recruiter is likely leaving. He'll probably be forced to overhaul his entire staff one way or another. Plus he's looking at another multi-year rebuild, something I'm sure he doesn't want to do. But we'll see.

Asking sincerely, why is it clear heron and his family aren’t happy?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
Asking sincerely, why is it clear heron and his family aren’t happy?

Just going by what has been inferred. It's been whispered for the last month or so and his body language on the court has been terrible. Add that into the fact that Tabor who is essentially a little brother to him isn't going to stick to his commitment and it's just connecting the dots at this point.

sju89tr

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
Heron is a talented player and if Ponds wasn't a shoot first point guard I think he wouldn't have gotten lost on the court at times. We also had no threat inside which allowed no room for him to get shots off. The roster was so disjointed. I personally think he stays though without Ponds. If the three remain we will be respectable.     

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2019, 06:39:41 PM »

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
Was it on CNN?

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
Heron is a talented player and if Ponds wasn't a shoot first point guard I think he wouldn't have gotten lost on the court at times. We also had no threat inside which allowed no room for him to get shots off. The roster was so disjointed. I personally think he stays though without Ponds. If the three remain we will be respectable.     

I disagree. Herons problems were his own. His only good offense  came when ponds set him up. He was perhaps the most predictable offensive player off the dribble I’ve seen at at Johns.

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
Heron cannot create for others. The problem with this squad was having only one capable guy handling the rock. Imagine where they would be with a Lovett and Ponds backcourt. They never replaced the PG position.

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »
Heron cannot create for others. The problem with this squad was having only one capable guy handling the rock. Imagine where they would be with a Lovett and Ponds backcourt. They never replaced the PG position.

Didn’t even have to be Lovett but I agree. Couldn’t break anyone down if it wasn’t ponds.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
Another year in college isn’t going to change his pro prospects. He’ll go wherever to make some money

I don’t think we can say that about Heron or even Ponds. If a player works hard, and improves their stock rises. Plenty of players seemed to have reached their ceiling and then surprised us all with a great senior season that featured new skills.

It just hasn’t happened here.

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
I don't know what fans really expect, we've been to 1 final four and people think we are a blue-chip household name in college basketball putting us up there with same expectations as Kansas, Kentucky and Duke. 

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
I don't know what fans really expect, we've been to 1 final four and people think we are a blue-chip household name in college basketball putting us up there with same expectations as Kansas, Kentucky and Duke. 

Do I think our fans overreact? Absolutely. But there is plenty of success below that of a blue blood that would be gladly accepted!