Next Year...

• 312 replies

Johnny23

Re: Next Year...
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
I don't know what fans really expect, we've been to 1 final four and people think we are a blue-chip household name in college basketball putting us up there with same expectations as Kansas, Kentucky and Duke.

Way to go from one extreme to the other. Ever heard of middle ground? Kinda like the poster who said if we don't get Pitino then we might as well just stick with Mullin. There are many levels of good between these two examples.

At this point I think we'd all sign up for a Providence or Xavier type of program in terms of their success. Blue blood is unrealistic.

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Way to go from one extreme to the other. Ever heard of middle ground? Kinda like the poster who said if we don't get Pitino then we might as well just stick with Mullin. There are many levels of good between these two examples.

At this point I think we'd all sign up for a Providence or Xavier type of program in terms of their success. Blue blood is unrealistic.

we are on the level of Providence and Xavier. Just because they swept us, means they have a better program than us? Shiieeett
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:43:28 PM by buckeyestorm »

Foad

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »
If the same staff is retained, then you're likely gonna see the same stuff next season.

By the same stuff do you mean 20 wins and an NCAA tournament bid? If so sign me up stupid.

Johnny23

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
we are on the level of Providence and Xavier. Just because they swept us, means they have a better program than us? Shiieeett

Do you think our program is anywhere close to as good as Providence or Xavier's right now?  :2funny: :2funny:

Providence - 5 straight NCAA tourneys before this season.

Xavier - Better than Providence.

Your homerism is on fire if you can honestly answer yes to that.

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
Do you think our program is anywhere close to as good as Providence or Xavier's right now?  :2funny: :2funny:

Providence - 5 straight NCAA tourneys before this season.

Xavier - Better than Providence.

Your homerism is on fire if you can honestly answer yes to that.

Forward looking (like in investments), I think our program as of today and looking forward is on the level of providence and Xavier.  How is that homerism ?

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
Take Matt out of the equation since he is the only one recruiting which is stupid in itself and a byproduct of horrible management.

What players lets say top 5 or even 6 can you say are definably better at the end of the year from the beginning of the year.

Which players showed markedly better seasons this year overlast year

since we know it's not Matt which coaches are responsible for player development ?

What grade would you give them for that

Just by being older they should be better to an extent but which ones showed definably better seasons

Johnny23

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »
Forward looking (like in investments), I think our program as of today and looking forward is on the level of providence and Xavier.  How is that homerism ?

It's homerism because you're completely ignoring the most important factor. Recent, documented success.  Xavier and Providence's recent track record on the court over the last 5 years dwarfs St. John's in every way. Try being objective and looking at the entire body of work instead of cherry picking what you only want to see.

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »

All-time....  That's a yes.  Since the "new" Big East was formed.....  Not even close. 

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2019, 08:46:15 PM »
It's homerism because you're completely ignoring the most important factor. Recent, documented success.  Xavier and Providence's recent track record on the court over the last 5 years dwarfs St. John's in every way. Try being objective and looking at the entire body of work instead of cherry picking what you only want to see.

What I see is 8 12 16 21 wins last four seasons. First year shouldn't even count....Next year 3 returning starters and if ponds returns or not, I think were right there in the mix. It took Ed Cooley 3 seasons to reach the ncaas ,what I'm saying is we are not that far off from being Prov or Xavier....I think were right up there.

Poison

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »
What I see is 8 12 16 21 wins last four seasons. First year shouldn't even count....Next year 3 returning starters and if ponds returns or not, I think were right there in the mix. It took Ed Cooley 3 seasons to reach the ncaas ,what I'm saying is we are not that far off from being Prov or Xavier....I think were right up there.

Xavier and Providence have continuity. We’re nothing like them.
If next season Roberts, Earlington and Williams have improved enough to play real minutes maybe we’ll be on our way to becoming that kind of program.

Plus, the way things have gone under this staff predicting returning starters is impossible. We could have three. We could have one.

SJUFAN

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »

We had what many have suggested the best starting 5 in a down BE. Yet we finished in 7th place. Should we lose Ponds, which is expected, we will not be a more talented team next year.

Alot has been said of our weak OOC schedule. Many say 21 wins is 21 wins, but the fact that we were 9-13 since we started conference play lend any credence to the soft ooc schedule argument?

Johnny23

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »

Again you're projecting at best. You can't just say you think we'll be as good as those teams unless you have something to back it up. At this point there is no evidence to support that. Increasing their win totals every years was a necessity because they were starting so far down at the bottom. You can only go one direction and that's up.

If you think SJU under Mullin will go to a sweet 16, an elite 8 and win 28-29 games in a season like Xavier has done over the last 4 seasons then give me some of what you're smoking because it is not happening.  SJU is nowhere close to being right up there with them and no objective person would say otherwise.

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »
We had what many have suggested the best starting 5 in a down BE. Yet we finished in 7th place. Should we lose Ponds, which is expected, we will not be a more talented team next year.

Alot has been said of our weak OOC schedule. Many say 21 wins is 21 wins, but the fact that we were 9-13 since we started conference play lend any credence to the soft ooc schedule argument?

Was our OOC schedule that much better in year 1-3 in Mullins era? If not, than the record has consistently improved.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:35:19 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
Was our OOC schedule that much better in year 1-3 in Mullins era?

Next year is shaping up tougher than this year's and with an improved BE and our roster projecting to be less talented than this year's don't expect wins progression to continue.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »
Right now Coach and administration are saying the things that have to be said right after an end of a brutal loss to a disappointing year in comparison to expectations.

-The schedule would have worked or at least not be as big of  deal if SJU got that 1st Seton Hall win and at the very least one once down the stretch. They would have finished in the upper half of the BE and not sweat it out on Selections Sunday.

-That SH Garden game was supposed to be he turning point to the season, but ended up being the start of a noise dive. Why, what happened?

-The question I have is why did he want to come back to SJU after all this time. At first I thought it was because Harrington left, and he believed that the new administration was invested into the program.

-Is it possible that he wanted to come back to SJU to be close to his family/brother and thought he could also coach and it became a lot more difficult than he thought.

-There was always something that he wasn’t around or engaged with recruiting.

-I hope he really takes the time and reflects if he wants to be a college coach. Is he capable or even wanting to convince and coddle HS players to come and than stay at SJU?

-I like Dr. Gempesaw and I do believe he wants SJUBB to be better. This is a helleva situation he the school fan base, and the greatest player in SJU history. I think he learned from his first AD mistake by hiring Cragg, but what a potential shit storm that is developing here...Only SJU can potential fire or force resignations from two coaches that made the tournament...The fans know why, the casual observerand coach does not.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »

-That SH Garden game was supposed to be he turning point to the season, but ended up being the start of a noise dive. Why, what happened?

Seton Hall has been able to keep their composure throughout the season. The fact that we were projected near the top of the BE and SHU at the bottom, yet they picked up a win over Kentucky on national TV and are now playing a 9:30 game on CBS on Thursday of the NCAA Tournament while out season is over makes me sick.

-There was always something that he wasn’t around or engaged with recruiting.

These NBA guys hate recruiting. Hoiberg pretty much said publicly that he despises recruiting.

I think Hoiberg's success at Iowa State played a major role in Mullin getting into college coaching and thinking he could succeed. He saw an NBA guy like Hoiberg running an NBA system and becoming a hometown hero as a coach and he thought the same would happen for him. He gets Matt who worked for Hoiberg who probably told him that he could succeed without having to do much recruiting himself. Mullin said all the right things at the press conference, but the red flags started not too long thereafter.

desco80

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
Some perspective: we've improved each season, attendance and fan involvement has improved as well, and the program has been void of any off the court headlines.

That's moderate success.  Now let's keep the ball rolling and take another step forward.

If you start with a baseline of making the tournament every year, or at least perennially putting yourself on the bubble, once in awhile you'll break through and win a couple of games. 
Looie made a hall of fame career by doing that. 

goredmen

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »
Some perspective: we've improved each season, attendance and fan involvement has improved as well, and the program has been void of any off the court headlines.

That's moderate success.  Now let's keep the ball rolling and take another step forward.

If you start with a baseline of making the tournament every year, or at least perennially putting yourself on the bubble, once in awhile you'll break through and win a couple of games. 
Looie made a hall of fame career by doing that. 

That is all fine and dandy if next year was shaping up to be another step forward. But it’s not. It’s shaping up to be a major step back

cjfish

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
That is all fine and dandy if next year was shaping up to be another step forward. But it’s not. It’s shaping up to be a major step back

Not necessarily if the staff can motivate the team that shows up.  This year's team completely lacked cohesion in any meaningful consistent way.  If the team plays together, doesn't force shots and plays defense without many stupid fouls they can match or exceed this years team win total.  They will be deeper and bigger, albeit less talented, they wont be great but should at least be NIT and possibly NCAA.   

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 11:57:58 PM »
It's 24 hours removed from the season and you know how next season will be that's a pretty cool talent