Next Year...

• 312 replies
Re: Next Year...
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
With you. The answer is not a new coach every 4 years. We have tried that for the last 20 years. Add talent, bench coach and update facilities

If Matt leaves for Lincoln they really could add TWO assistants and move Mitch back to special ass

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
If the school and Mullin parted ways after this season we'd have another 3-4 year rebuild and be having this same conversation in 5 years.

It depends who is hired.  Otherwise, you can't speak in such absolutes.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2019, 02:15:44 PM »
With you. The answer is not a new coach every 4 years. We have tried that for the last 20 years. Add talent, bench coach and update facilities

Do you think Mullin is invested in the long Hall (not trying to be sarcastic)?

Does he want to be SJU’s coach for this well overdue overhall of the sports program?

It seems like he would have to be here for at least 10years (as long as the team keeps improving) for continuity purposes.

I just have the feeling that his family his split between NY and California, and the family would rather head back west.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:16:28 PM by nudginator59 »
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »
I should also add that I think in spite of all the ineptitude we're still seeing improvement, scholarship balance, positional balance, increase in talent quality, and wins.

Need to address shortcomings and fix them. Not jump ship.

Do you see a talent increase next season outside of Mack?  I don't see the increase in talent.  Frankly, the scholarship usage (or even balance) was poor last season, as it went to too many transfers and potential "reaches," which left us short and with no bench.

Wins....  Okay, that's factual.  But we picked up 11 wins against crappy teams.  We had a losing record after starting out 12-0.  It was factual that our win total increased, but you're also not being totally honest if you don't think it wasn't deceiving in some form.

There's also nothing that screams "this staff has a plan," either.  None!  If you're not aware of this, then you're simply not paying enough attention. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:22:04 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »
Do you see a talent increase next season outside of Mack?  I don't see the increase in talent.  Frankly, the scholarship usage (or even balance) was poor last season, as it went to too many transfers and potential "reaches," which left us short and with no bench.

Wins....  Okay, that's factual.  But we picked up 11 wins against crappy teams.  We had a losing record after starting out 12-0.  It was factual that our win total increased, but you're also not being totally honest if you don't think it wasn't deceiving in some form.

There's also nothing that screams "this staff has a plan," either.  None!  If you're not aware of this, then you're simply not paying enough attention. 

you don't think 2 6'9" 4 star transfers is a talent increase?

derk

« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »

If you mean Manual ( jury still out )as 1, and an "improved" Keita then no.

Wods317

« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
Do you think Mullin is invested in the long Hall (not trying to be sarcastic)?

Does he want to be SJU’s coach for this well overdue overhall of the sports program?

It seems like he would have to be here for at least 10years (as long as the team keeps improving) for continuity purposes.

I just have the feeling that his family his split between NY and California, and the family would rather head back west.

No one can know that unless you know the man personally. I do not know his plan for next 5 years. I would say most of us don’t know what we are doing in 5 years. I don’t really get the argument. The constant changing of coaches has not worked for a long long time for us.

« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »

Who are those 6'9" 4 star transfers you're speaking of?  I know of one (Steere), but he wasn't considered a 4-star overall (he was a 3-star).  His overall ranking was #140. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:21:45 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Who are those 6'9" 4 star transfers you're speaking of?  I know of one (Steere), but he wasn't considered a 4-star overall (he was a 3-star).  He overall ranking was #140. 

yeah #138 is 4 star

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/ian-steere-7609

Nate Tabor #72

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/nate-tabor-183447

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2019, 03:22:25 PM »
yeah #138 is 4 star

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/ian-steere-7609

Nate Tabor #72

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/nate-tabor-183447

His overall compilation, which 247 initializes through all recruiting services (national compilation), is #140 and a 3-star.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ian-Steere-46035783/high-school-184547/

Tabor isn't 6'9", and he's not a transfer (2020 recruit).  Tabor is supposedly gonna renege on his commitment.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:26:03 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
His overall compilation, which 247 initializes through all recruiting services (national compilation), is #140 and a 3-star.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ian-Steere-46035783/high-school-184547/

Tabor isn't 6'9", and he's not a transfer (2020 recruit).  Tabor is supposedly gonna renege on his commitment.

Valdir Manuel 6'9" was recruited by Cuse and Illinois before JUCO. Not serviceable?  either way the 5 position is much better in talent next year.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:37:54 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Valdir Manuel was recruited by Cuse and Illinois before JUCO. Not serviceable?  either way the 5 position is much better in talent next year.

Manuel is somewhat of a project.  Lastly, you were wrong in your initial assertion. 

The thing people like you don't understand is the shitty philosophy from our staff isn't sustainable and conducive to long-term success.  We're not going to get the type of talent to supplement or overcome crappy coaching.  Besides no one works on the staff outside of one person.   

I wouldn't take our staff over any staff in the Big East.  I bet that would be an interesting poll per ranking the conference staffs from top to bottom. 

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2019, 03:56:16 PM »
Manuel is somewhat of a project.  Lastly, you were wrong in your initial assertion. 

The thing people like you don't understand is the shitty philosophy from our staff isn't sustainable and conducive to long-term success.  We're not going to get the type of talent to supplement or overcome crappy coaching.  Besides no one works on the staff outside of one person.   

I wouldn't take our staff over any staff in the Big East.  I bet that would be an interesting poll per ranking the conference staffs from top to bottom. 

Ok I thought rivals was a reliable source projecting Steere as a 4 star...and Manuel being recruited by Cuse and Illinois are both serviceable for a team that doesn't have a true 5. both 6'9".  Nate Tabor is also listed on rivals as 4 stars.  but is see what your saying.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:01:06 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
Ok I thought rivals was a reliable source projecting Steere as a 4 star...and Manuel being recruited by Cuse and Illinois are both serviceable for a team that doesn't have a true 5. both 6'9".  Nate Tabor is also listed on rivals as 4 stars.  but that just nit picking....

You said we had two 4-star 6'9" players coming in....  You was wrong!  Rivals isn't the end-all, be all.  You can't choose one recruiting site and go from there.  You have to go by a compilation. 
You never mentioned Tabor until after I had proven you wrong aka moved the goalpost.  Tabor also isn't 6'9" nor is he transfer.  He's also a 2020 recruit. 

I doubt Tabor remains committed. 

« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
You said we had two 4-star 6'9" players coming in....  You was wrong!  Rivals isn't the end-all, be all.  You can't choose one recruiting site and go from there.  You have to go by a compilation. 
You never mentioned Tabor until after I had proven you wrong aka moved the goalpost.  Tabor also isn't 6'9" nor is he transfer.  He's also a 2020 recruit. 

I doubt Tabor remains committed. 

I was wrong because I originally thought nate was 6'9"....why so mad?

« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:21 PM »
I was wrong because I originally thought nate was 6'9"....why so mad?

You are wrong because you said we had two 6'9" 4-star players, dumb ass!  Manuel isn't a 4-star player and Steere national compilation is also of a 3-star player. 

Now that doesn't mean they can't or won't be solid players.  Just that you were wrong in your assessment.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:05:55 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2019, 04:06:35 PM »
You are wrong because you said we had two 6'9" 4-star players, dumb ass! 

that's what I just said!! I was wrong for assuming Nate was 6'9". lmfao. This board is in meltdown mode. And I mentioned Steere was a 4 star per rivals.  Btw ESPN also has him as 4 stars...just saying.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/217661/ian-steere
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:16:34 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
Let's all agree on one thing. We are not in play for any HS blue chips, none in the pipeline and frankly I cannot blame the blue chips with the dysfunction of this program and horrid end to season.

Say what you want about Lav, but he put us at least in the hunt for them even after mediocre seasons. Best case right now is if we land Tabor but he is not a blue chip. I agree with the commentary, I doubt he keeps his commitment anyway.

If we make the change after next year, the school (or boosters) better open up their wallet and get a solid recruiter. This program is not going to next level without that level of talent. At least try for it. We are not Villanova.

« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
that's what I just said!! I was wrong for assuming Nate was 6'9". lmfao. This board is in meltdown mode. And I mentioned Steere was a 4 star per rivals.  Btw ESPN also has him as 4 stars...just saying.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/217661/ian-steere

You must be a simpleton, if you don't understand what a compilation means.  Just sayin'....   

There will also likely be a roster fallout in the very, near future.  Some of y'all haven't had enough.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:32:58 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
You must be a simpleton, if you don't understand what a compilation means.  Just sayin'....   

cmon man, im just playing.