Next Year...

• 312 replies
Re: Next Year...
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
cmon man, im just playing.

Oh, okay....  Gotcha!   :up:  Never know, as words aren't always easily diagnosed online.   

Johnny23

« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
You must be a simpleton, if you don't understand what a compilation means.  Just sayin'....

Don't waste your time, MJ. Anyone with a clue knows the real problem starts and ends with Mullin and staff. Everything else is a byproduct of this.

These homers who think the program is improving (one season does not make a program, especially one where they couldn't even finish .500 in a weak BE) will find out for themselves next year what we've been saying all along.

When this team finishes in the bottom rungs of the BE (between 8th and 10th) then they can bullshit themselves all they want about this program improving.

The only thing that matters is wins and losses unless you're a homer.

Unless Mullin makes real changes to his staff (like Mike Rice and another X's and O's guy) nothing will improve.

We could come back here this same exact day one year from now with SJU coming off another crappy season and those same people will still lobby for this arrogant, lazy SOB to be the head coach. They don't base their opinions on logic and results, rather on pure emotion and feelgood memories from yesteryear. Sad.

Poison

« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
To this point our strength and conditioning department as a whole is a joke. Go look at Justin Simon when he was at Arizona or Mustapha Heron when he was at Auburn and I'd argue they both looked in better shape.

We are failing our guys

What do you mean "we"?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »
No one can know that unless you know the man personally. I do not know his plan for next 5 years. I would say most of us don’t know what we are doing in 5 years. I don’t really get the argument. The constant changing of coaches has not worked for a long long time for us.

Most people have an ideal of what they would like to do within their next five years. Nothing in concrete but people have five year plans outlined.

My point with Coach is that except for any major life changing event does he want to be here for the next five years. What does he want to do. This is a discussion between him and Cragg.

I agree with you that the constant changing out of coaches has been really bad for this team, I would prefer a staff shake up and keep him.

But...

If he doesn’t want to stay at SJU long term, what is the point of sticking out 2-3 more years if you know this job is more of a 5-6 project to get it back where you want to.

People accept or decline positions/ promotions on this basis all the time. I would be shocked and dispointned if Cragg is here for less than five years. Life happens and ultimately people have to do what’s best for them and their families.

At a certain point people also know of they really want to stay in Their current situation. Once Mullin and Cragg sitdown and discuss things they both will have an ideal where each one stands.
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »
To this point our strength and conditioning department as a whole is a joke. Go look at Justin Simon when he was at Arizona or Mustapha Heron when he was at Auburn and I'd argue they both looked in better shape.

We are failing our guys

The level of ineptitude of Mullin is beyond what people can imagine. He doesn’t have s clue, it’s sad, SJU fans deserve better. Maybe they don’t if they believe a 9-13 record since the beginning of conference play is a sign of progress when we had more talent than the majority of teams we played.

« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2019, 08:11:15 PM »
His overall compilation, which 247 initializes through all recruiting services (national compilation), is #140 and a 3-star.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ian-Steere-46035783/high-school-184547/

Tabor isn't 6'9", and he's not a transfer (2020 recruit).  Tabor is supposedly gonna renege on his commitment.

I'm on the road with these kids. I know when the guys who make the rankings see them and how they performed when they did. Everything is not an exact science.

For Steere he came on late and was every bit as good as guys in the 50-70 range of that class. I feel pretty good about him coming in and think he'd be a solid rotational guy and I'd imagine he'd push starting lineup over Keita.

He can face up, he can post up, he can eat space, and can block shots. Good hands and can run the floor. Hopefully he's added and refined his game since I've seen him last.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2019, 08:16:36 PM »
Also I really like Mack he's of the LJ mold, Caraher will be a solid spot minutes guy who will be a smart defender and a guy who can stretch the floor, Wright is another guy who can score and very good athlete.

I haven't seen Manu but guys I know who I trust have and said he's a skillful big with upside. I'll take a flier on him.

Between Keita, Steere, Manu, Roberts, and Caraher we should have enough beef to compete inside with foul trouble and injury.

I like Williams promise as a sophomore in the backcourt with Wright, Simon, LJ.

If Heron and Ponds come back. Great we are really deep and in business. I think this team can truly play an aggressive uptempo style we've all been waiting for.

cjfish

« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
Watching the tournament for two days and seeing a lot of well coached teams with less talent then ours staying with the big boys.  Nobody has evidenced our level of confusion, poor decision making and lack of effort.  I put our late season doldrums largely on the staff.  I am a latecomer to staff criticism but am now a believer.  A pleasure to watch well coached teams. 

Johnny23

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:08 PM »
Watching the tournament for two days and seeing a lot of well coached teams with less talent then ours staying with the big boys.  Nobody has evidenced our level of confusion, poor decision making and lack of effort.  I put our late season doldrums largely on the staff.  I am a latecomer to staff criticism but am now a believer.  A pleasure to watch well coached teams.

I was just discussing that while watching the games. Our roster is more talented than quite a few of these tourney teams but the coaching is so sorely lacking it's criminal.

goredmen

« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2019, 09:17:30 PM »
For Steere he came on late and was every bit as good as guys in the 50-70 range of that class. I feel pretty good about him coming in and think he'd be a solid rotational guy and I'd imagine he'd push starting lineup over Keita.

Not gonna pretend that I know how good Steere will be out of the shoot next year but if Keita will be real competition for him when it comes to starting/minutes then Steere stinks

« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
Mullin needs to make a great hire right away

« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »
The only thing that matters is wins and losses unless you're a homer.
Correctomundo. 8 12 16 21 

SJUFAN

« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2019, 04:38:40 AM »
Correctomundo. 8 12 16 21 

I’ve never seen a fan base so satisfied with finishing in 7th place. We played like shit most of the time and your happy about it because we beat up on some cupcakes? To put Mullins futility in perspective, he has won the same amount of BE games as Norm Roberts in 4 seasons.

wpc77

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »

Johnny23

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
And the cards start falling. Those who think we'll be better next year need to open their eyes. As currently constructed we will be a BE bottom feeder.

Since we're stuck with him for at least one more year, Mullin better make changes and soon. This is downright insulting.

« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
Good luck to Shamorie in Tel Aviv

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2019, 02:29:27 PM »
And the cards start falling. Those who think we'll be better next year need to open their eyes. As currently constructed we will be a BE bottom feeder.

Since we're stuck with him for at least one more year, Mullin better make changes and soon. This is downright insulting.

Dude this was expected for the last 12 months.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »
I’ve never seen a fan base so satisfied with finishing in 7th place. We played like shit most of the time and your happy about it because we beat up on some cupcakes? To put Mullins futility in perspective, he has won the same amount of BE games as Norm Roberts in 4 seasons.

This year’s conference standings were a bit off.

The 4th, 5th, 6th place teams didn’t dance. The 7th with a “weak” ooc schedule did.

However the sentiment of we should have finished better is correct.

« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »
Wish Shamorie the best and I personally don’t think his stock goes up or down too much by leaving now or by staying another year.

I think in right situation he may stick on a roster as a backup but most likely stashed in D-League and eventually convinced to go overseas to make more money.

Never want to tell a kid not to follow his dreams but this is likely the reality at this point.

There are a lot of talented players not in the NBA and there are less roster spots than there are draft picks.

Poison

« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
Wish Shamorie the best and I personally don’t think his stock goes up or down too much by leaving now or by staying another year.

I think in right situation he may stick on a roster as a backup but most likely stashed in D-League and eventually convinced to go overseas to make more money.

Never want to tell a kid not to follow his dreams but this is likely the reality at this point.

There are a lot of talented players not in the NBA and there are less roster spots than there are draft picks.

I think there’s plenty more to prove.

Shamorie hasn’t proven he can hold up for a full college season. He should return and show that he can finish strong.

The NBA doesn’t have two months of Wagner and St.Francis. Every game is brutal.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:08:54 PM by Poison »