Next Year...

• 312 replies
Re: Next Year...
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
Foolish decision by Shamorie , he must have very bad advisers. He had a down year and proved he cannot handle big time at this point. He needed one more year and this not coming from me just as a st john's alum and fan but an honest opinion.

At best NBA second rounder and G-League stash. At worst Euro ball for who knows where and trying to get in league at later point. At the very least get the degree for one more year- he was not all-american or lit anything up against enough teams he needed to like Duke. Jakarr's career has been up and down in and out of league, he could have used another year of maturity as well. Patience is important.

« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2019, 10:27:41 PM »
Foolish decision by Shamorie , he must have very bad advisers. He had a down year and proved he cannot handle big time at this point. He needed one more year and this not coming from me just as a st john's alum and fan but an honest opinion.

At best NBA second rounder and G-League stash. At worst Euro ball for who knows where and trying to get in league at later point. At the very least get the degree for one more year- he was not all-american or lit anything up against enough teams he needed to like Duke. Jakarr's career has been up and down in and out of league, he could have used another year of maturity as well. Patience is important.

I think Jakarr was a different situation, the holes in his game were more obvious as time went on, don’t think his value would have gone up any.

« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:38 PM »
I think Jakarr was a different situation, the holes in his game were more obvious as time went on, don’t think his value would have gone up any.

But with Shamorie though, I think his value only goes up. If he has that Moe-type game against a Duke or shows more consistency and better leadership with the offense with his decision making and shot selection he may pull himself into first round. If the team gets back to tournament and into second round (which is possible after learning from this year and likely better coaches added to staff) it will help his case. Maybe he gets more national recognition? This is a different conversation if he had a better season. Moe was ready, Shamorie has more room to grow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:43:27 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »
My sources tell me Cedric Jackson is moving on to Cleveland University to play for Rory Malliimino. Can't be sure but usually they're spot on.
Russell Robinson leaving Kansas to come play for Norm

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »
Russell Robinson leaving Kansas to come play

« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »
Or PJ Carlisimo if his purported interest in returning to college basketball is accurate.

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37:32 PM »
Or PJ Carlisimo if his purported interest in returning to college basketball is accurate.
Haaaaaaa

SJUFAN

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2019, 02:37:38 AM »
Well coached. 274 teams were more poorly coached than us.

Who in the BE has better talent 1-3 than we did? BE defensive player of the year? We also had two top 100 talent coming off the bench and finished in 7th place in a down year for the BE. Look how bad the BE did in the tournament. Yet we finished in 7th place. We’re not making the tournament next year, if we do then I maybe wrong.

derk

« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Also I really like Mack he's of the LJ mold, Caraher will be a solid spot minutes guy who will be a smart defender and a guy who can stretch the floor, Wright is another guy who can score and very good athlete.

I haven't seen Manu but guys I know who I trust have and said he's a skillful big with upside. I'll take a flier on him.

Between Keita, Steere, Manu, Roberts, and Caraher we should have enough beef to compete inside with foul trouble and injury.

I like Williams promise as a sophomore in the backcourt with Wright, Simon, LJ.

If Heron and Ponds come back. Great we are really deep and in business. I think this team can truly play an aggressive uptempo style we've all been waiting for.

Yes that would show the program exhibiting some continuity, which is one of the ingredients in any successful program. But ( as is likely ) we lose both Ponds and Heron, our two best players, with no significant replacements, then we are just treading water, which we've been doing for the last 25 years.

« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Who in the BE has better talent 1-3 than we did? BE defensive player of the year? We also had two top 100 talent coming off the bench and finished in 7th place in a down year for the BE. Look how bad the BE did in the tournament. Yet we finished in 7th place. We’re not making the tournament next year, if we do then I maybe wrong.

For the umpteenth time. We had some good talent in the starting lineup.  We had no serviceable height/size and a very weak bench. Tariq looked good yesterday. That defection really hurt.  My son told me at one point we had less bench scoring than any team in the nation.  I don't know where he would find a stat like that.

If people are looking for things to bash Mullin on, and they are, this is all the ammo they need.  You don't have to make stuff up.

Johnny23

« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
For the umpteenth time. We had some good talent in the starting lineup.  We had no serviceable height/size and a very weak bench. Tariq looked good yesterday. That defection really hurt.  My son told me at one point we had less bench scoring than any team in the nation.  I don't know where he would find a stat like that.

If people are looking for things to bash Mullin on, and they are, this is all the ammo they need.  You don't have to make stuff up.

Do you think this team as currently constructed for next year, coaching staff included, will be worse or better record wise than this year?

If not, what changes do you think need to be made before next season begins?

« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
Do you think this team as currently constructed for next year, coaching staff included, will be worse or better record wise than this year?

If not, what changes do you think need to be made before next season begins?

Worse. We will be a 500 level team and get into NIT if that. Reason being we have a couple of average guys coming in but not studs. We are losing Ponds (at least) who teams game planned for which opened up things for others. We may lose a recruiter and the staff has not figured out Xs and Os.

Only way to fix it is get a Dunlap type assistant and decent recruiter. Even then this team may be 2 years away to get better HS recruits assuming Mullin does not resign at end of next season. And oh yes, those young players on Providence and Gtown will be one year older and those teams will be much better. Weak BE year we underperformed with an ok team. Stronger BE year, with a worse team, will be rough.....

Johnny23

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Worse. We will be a 500 level team and get into NIT if that. Reason being we have a couple of average guys coming in but not studs. We are losing Ponds (at least) who teams game planned for which opened up things for others. We may lose a recruiter and the staff has not figured out Xs and Os.

Only way to fix it is get a Dunlap type assistant and decent recruiter. Even then this team may be 2 years away to get better HS recruits assuming Mullin does not resign at end of next season. And oh yes, those young players on Providence and Gtown will be one year older and those teams will be much better. Weak BE year we underperformed with an ok team. Stronger BE year, with a worse team, will be rough.....

There's no doubt about it. Obviously I know this and have been saying the same things here for a while.

I just wanted to see what a true Mullin bot has to say about next season and see how much of it is hope vs reason based on fact.

« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
There's no doubt about it. Obviously I know this and have been saying the same things here for a while.

I just wanted to see what a true Mullin bot has to say about next season and see how much of it is hope vs reason based on fact.

What facts can you possibly have at this point? The real answer is that we don’t know, yet it is reasonable to think we might be ok with a deeper bench and talent across positions.

Johnny23

« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »
What facts can you possibly have at this point? The real answer is that we don’t know, yet it is reasonable to think we might be ok with a deeper bench and talent across positions.

The facts are as follows:

-Mullin's atrocious Big East record after 4 seasons.
-His inability to construct a balanced roster
-His inability to coach in-game
-Our best player just left the program
-The recruiting class including transfers we have coming in is ranked by most as one of the worst in the Big East, if not the worst.
-The Big East was as bad as it's been in years this past season. Next year it will be vastly improved.

These are all facts to base an educated opinion on.

A deeper bench and more talent? We may have more bodies I'll give you that but that's about it. What about the awful coaching? How does that improve? Surely not by itself.

Otherwise based on the facts that I posted, this team will most likely be picked between 8th and 10th in the conference next year.

That is going in the exact opposite direction of what Mullin was hired to do which is make us a legit program again. After 4 seasons, he has shown zero signs of that.

TONYD3

« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
Have you payed attention at all?

« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »
The facts are as follows:

-Mullin's atrocious Big East record after 4 seasons.
-His inability to construct a balanced roster
-His inability to coach in-game
-Our best player just left the program
-The recruiting class including transfers we have coming in is ranked by most as one of the worst in the Big East, if not the worst.
-The Big East was as bad as it's been in years this past season. Next year it will be vastly improved.

These are all facts to base an educated opinion on.

A deeper bench and more talent? We may have more bodies I'll give you that but that's about it. What about the awful coaching? How does that improve? Surely not by itself.

Otherwise based on the facts that I posted, this team will most likely be picked between 8th and 10th in the conference next year.

That is going in the exact opposite direction of what Mullin was hired to do which is make us a legit program again. After 4 seasons, he has shown zero signs of that.

Is improving your record every season culminating in a tournament appearance a sign of becoming legit again? How about having the most balanced roster we’ve had since the early 2000’s? How about the highest attendance we’ve had in some time?

You’re again taking some basic information and using it to predict record and standing that is almost a year away. As has been posted countless times, neither Heron or LJ were in the fold last year at this time. I wouldn’t be surprised to get another important player this year and ideally an important secondary recruiter/game planner.

« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »

How many games did you think we should have won this past season?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »
Is improving your record every season culminating in a tournament appearance a sign of becoming legit again? How about having the most balanced roster we’ve had since the early 2000’s? How about the highest attendance we’ve had in some time?

You’re again taking some basic information and using it to predict record and standing that is almost a year away. As has been posted countless times, neither Heron or LJ were in the fold last year at this time. I wouldn’t be surprised to get another important player this year and ideally an important secondary recruiter/game planner.

When your record is as bad as Mullin's was his first year, it could only be improved so that's not saying much.

Why has his BE record not improved at the same clip? How did he finish below .500 in the BE this year when it was their year to show out?

If we had the most balanced roster since the early 2000's then we wouldn't have the most deficient big men in the conference. That is not balance.

That basic information I used is a strong indicator as that's how you make informed projections. Kind of like how most analysts had us ranked high in the BE before this season based on what we had on paper. However they didn't factor in that you need coaching in addition to talent for those projections to be realized.

There is very little to suggest this team not finishing in the bottom 3rd of the conference next year. I will bet that if you read any publication out there over the next 7 or so months they will all reiterate the same thing.

You can keep hoping that more bodies and the same coaching staff will miraculously take this team to the next level next season. However there is no supporting evidence to suggest that's the case.

This season is looking more and more like an outlier than an upward trend. Back to bottom feeder status again next year.

« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Note how I mentioned that a new assistant coach would be nice.

I meant balancing the roster, as in who we will have this year assuming there aren’t a ton of defections. Apologies on being unclear.

As to how this team didn’t finish .500 or better: this weird thing happened back in December in Jersey.