Next Year...

• 312 replies
Re: Next Year...
« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:39 PM »
How many games did you think we should have won this past season?

We won 21 games, we should have won 27. We should have swept SHU, Providence (at least once in season), DePaul (at least once in season), Xavier (at least once) and Marquette (BE tournament). Marquette was our best possible second round draw - I do not put much stock into hard to beat team 3 times when we really matched up well against them the whole year. The boys got lazy and tired. Also ASU was giving us the game in NCAAs we should have beat them too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:21:15 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »
We won 21 games, we should have won 26. We should have swept SHU, Providence (at least once in season), DePaul (at least once in season), Xavier (at least once) and Marquette (BE tournament). Marquette was our best possible second round draw - I do not put much stock into hard to beat team 3 times when we really matched up well against them the whole year. The boys got lazy and tired.

Ok. I think we underachieved this year. Maybe by 2 games. We beat seton hall and either of the providence/Xavier games and we are an easy tourney team and finish solo 3rd. We didn’t and that’s on the staff and team.

My point is this, you just said the team we have should have won 26 games. That means the team mullin built in 4 years was talented enough where you expected 25 wins! I don’t think CM is a particularly good coach. Probably closer to bad. I also don’t think it will be impossible for him to win here or that he’s proven he’s incapable of it. There is zero chance he should or would be fired at this point.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
Unless I am overlooking someone, next year starting five...

Figueroa
Mack
Wright
Steere
Williams

With Keita, Trimble, Roberts, Caraher and Earlington on the bench? Thoughts?

« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »

Figueroa
Mack
Wright
Steere
Williams

Havnt been as up to date on the boards since we lost. Simon news?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Wods317

« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »

Figueroa
Mack
Wright
Steere
Williams

Gut tells me Heron is gone and Simon returns but we will see

« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
I'm assuming Simon leaves. He sees Tariq Owens currently Sweet 16, Simon knows he has game, would be very attractive to a power conference school. It would be a nice bonus if he came back, just objectively don't see it.

Foad

« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2019, 09:12:14 PM »
It would be a nice bonus if he came back, just objectively don't see it.

You literally don't know what the word objectively means.

« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2019, 10:44:22 PM »
I'm assuming Simon leaves. He sees Tariq Owens currently Sweet 16, Simon knows he has game, would be very attractive to a power conference school. It would be a nice bonus if he came back, just objectively don't see it.

I really don't think Simon leaves. I could be wrong but knowing him I really can't see him jumping ship.

He played on same small travel team all throughout high school and really didn't want to transfer from AZ but ultimately he was pushed out. He's not like Lovett, Owens, Heron, etc. who have long history of bouncing around.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »

Figueroa
Mack
Wright
Steere
Williams

I highly doubt that's what the roster is going to look like as it could be better or worse depending on what happens with everything.

I'll humor you though. If that is in fact our roster next year or very close to it, it would be a miracle if we don't finish last in the Big East

« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
He regressed in his one year at SJU. This staff has shown no ability to develop players at all. He regrets coming here in the first place, no way he sticks around for longer. The longer he stays the less $ he'll make. He and his family knows that.

Also, if the insiders are correct it sounds like Tabor who is like a younger brother to Heron is decommitting and won't be coming here. Doesn't sound like a family willing to stick???

That makes ZERO sense... Heron(AND Ponds) could only HELP their NBA resume leading a TEN deep team with Mack, Williams, Steere, Manuel, Wright, Carreher, Trimble, Robets & Ellington.... I want Mullin gone too but his offense gives Herron ALL the freedom in the world... and with depth now we can press a LOT more and rebound the ball better to start the fast break.... and save the “insider” bullshit...Tabor will be a Johnnie. Book it..... unless they completely drop the ball on the coaching staff.... and I think this Duke guy is out to carve his own niche.... first call goes to Johnny Dawkins... than Mark Jackson or than another younger proven college coach.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:26:23 PM by jd0871 »

goredmen

« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2019, 11:44:07 PM »
That makes ZERO sense... Heron(AND Ponds) could only HELP their NBA resume leading a TEN deep team with Mack, Williams, Steere, Manuel, Wright, Carreher, Trimble, Robets & Ellington.... I want Mullin gone too but his offense gives Herron ALL the freedom in the world... and with depth now we can press a LOT more and rebound the ball better to start the fast break.... and save the “insider” bullshit...Tabor will be a Johnnie. Book it..... unless they completely drop the ball on the coaching staff.... and I think this Duke guy is out to carve his own niche.... first call goes to Johnny Dawkins... than Mark Jackson or than another younger proven college coach.

Giving a player total freedom to shoot whenever and do whatever he wants doesn't necessarily help them. You need to put players in positions to succeed, not just give them the ball and say go do something. Come up with something creative, run them off screens etc.

Watch the Sweet 16 games this Thursday and Friday. Count how many of those teams let their players do whatever they want. Spoiler alert: it's 0. And those teams have the players that go high in drafts.

Poison

« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »
I really don't think Simon leaves. I could be wrong but knowing him I really can't see him jumping ship.

He played on same small travel team all throughout high school and really didn't want to transfer from AZ but ultimately he was pushed out. He's not like Lovett, Owens, Heron, etc. who have long history of bouncing around.

Heron and Simon both transferred once. How are they different?

Owens left two schools, but I remember plenty of games where he was the only player working hard last year. Kid never looked like the type to leave. He played two years here which makes him one of the more tenured players under Mullin. That’s how often kids are running away from this program.

« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
Simon will be here next year.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:57:09 PM by Redy2Rumble »

« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2019, 12:44:31 AM »
Heron and Simon both transferred once. How are they different?

Owens left two schools, but I remember plenty of games where he was the only player working hard last year. Kid never looked like the type to leave. He played two years here which makes him one of the more tenured players under Mullin. That’s how often kids are running away from this program.

I'm talking about them in high school. Heron played for CBC then New Heights then Rens and went to multiple high schools.

Justin Simon played for Gamepoint a non-sneaker league team and while he went to Brewster that was for a prep year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2019, 01:54:32 AM »
Do you think this team as currently constructed for next year, coaching staff included, will be worse or better record wise than this year?
The team as it's currently constructed will not even exist next year.  I can't see how I can even surmise if a roster I don't know the makeup of playing a schedule I don't know will be better or worse record wise than this year.
If not, what changes do you think need to be made before next season begins?
That's a hanging curveball. Bench strength, size and a point guard to replace Walden.

[/quote]

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:58 AM »
How many games did you think we should have won this past season?
Another softball.  22 of course.

Johnny23

« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »
The team as it's currently constructed will not even exist next year.  I can't see how I can even surmise if a roster I don't know the makeup of playing a schedule I don't know will be better or worse record wise than this year. That's a hanging curveball. Bench strength, size and a point guard to replace Walden.

Ya know, that is true. The team may look even worse if Heron leaves as well. Holding out hope for a savior to replace him hasn't worked so far for this regime.

You get a 50% complete for the second question. Your answer would've been closer to 100% if you had also included the big elephant in the room. Coaching upgrade!!!

Wods317

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
Have to enjoy the offseason rumors on Twitter. Saw a few tweets that Ponds was confirmed as returning.....

« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
Ok. I think we underachieved this year. Maybe by 2 games. We beat seton hall and either of the providence/Xavier games and we are an easy tourney team and finish solo 3rd. We didn’t and that’s on the staff and team.

My point is this, you just said the team we have should have won 26 games. That means the team mullin built in 4 years was talented enough where you expected 25 wins! I don’t think CM is a particularly good coach. Probably closer to bad. I also don’t think it will be impossible for him to win here or that he’s proven he’s incapable of it. There is zero chance he should or would be fired at this point.

I said this season (this season was mirage and masked flaws)- the early conference gave us more wins than we should have had early on so that increases the number. And yes 26 wins overall in a conference down year. If we played a regular ooc with better teams (and to be honest I like the approach of early on weaker teams to build confidence- Mullin just failed to take opportunity to give bench burn which hurt) that number goes down.

Coupled with if this was a typical BE year with stronger teams we are nothing more than a 17-18 win team. We ran a very poor offensive scheme for college, had no front-court and no bench depth. Mullin took essentially 4 seasons to build a solid NIT team if we want to be entirely realistic with the talent level.

And after next year- if large step back, no big time recruits in pipeline and perhaps a decommit he may resign.....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:26:38 AM by friendofjohnnie »

wpc77

« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »
I said this season (this season was mirage and masked flaws)- the early conference gave us more wins than we should have had early on so that increases the number. And yes 26 wins overall in a conference down year. If we played a regular ooc with better teams (and to be honest I like the approach of early on weaker teams to build confidence- Mullin just failed to take opportunity to give bench burn which hurt) that number goes down.

Coupled with if this was a typical BE year with stronger teams we are nothing more than a 17-18 win team. We ran a very poor offensive scheme for college, had no front-court and no bench depth. Mullin took essentially 4 seasons to build a solid NIT team if we want to be entirely realistic with the talent level.

And after next year- if large step back, no big time recruits in pipeline and perhaps a decommit he may resign.....

Not having Owens really ruined the year.  For example, with him, we would have beaten Depaul at home with Ponds hurt.  They just kept feeding the post, we kept fouling, and Mullin had no answer other than to yell at the refs for the foul calls. 

Owens presence would have likely been enough to split the home and homes with providence and Xavier too.

That's 24 wins.  Who knows how it would have affected each tournament game but probably one win in one of those.  So 25 total. 

The process became difficult this year once Owens bailed because we had no one of worth (keita stinks, Roberts is too green, and clark is not big enough on d despite his best efforts) at the 4 or 5. 

Now, if we had a guy who was an experienced head coach, he could have won those 25 games without Owens. But we don't.