Next Year...

• 312 replies

Poison

Re: Next Year...
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:12 PM »
Owens father wasn’t happy w Mullins system and his sons role. This pains me to write , but he looks like a genius w the move to TT. Owens gained weight, improved on a great team.

All true. I think playing on a team where everyone plays hard all the time is probably what Owens left for.

He was what we needed.

Marillac

« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »
Why not replace him? Wasn’t Lavin replaced for the purpose of improving? Has Mullins four years been an improvement over Lavin? When we don’t make the tournament next year and lose less than 21 games, will you feel we regressed and be ready for change for the best interest of the program?

Have you been paying attention to the last 25 years? We literally lead the country in firing coaches. Besides getting rid of the impossibly incompetent Norm Roberts our recruiting profile has gone down each time. We never get better. Why would his time be any different?

When Lavin was being fired I started a thread about firing his yet-to-be names replacement. That how predictable you lunatics are.

You guys bring the negativity of a [shitty] professional fan base to a second tier college program. Who the f*ck would want to coach here after the face of the goddamn programs gets run out of town after making the tournament for the fourth time in 19 years?!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:40:42 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
Why not replace him?
I'll play. Because we danced and he's Babe Ruth. Or, just see above.
Wasn’t Lavin replaced for the purpose of improving?
No, he was replaced for the purpose of bringing the favored son home to roost.  Frankly, I found it a shocking turn of events and thought it quite unfair following a tournament bid. Having the replacement be Mullin softened the blow.
Has Mullins four years been an improvement over Lavin?
No, but if we dance next season then it's a tie. And Lavin did inherit a MUCH stronger team than Mullin did. Stay tuned.

When we don’t make the tournament next year and lose less than 21 games, will you feel we regressed and be ready for change for the best interest of the program?
What do I look like? We are Nostradamus?

Poison

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »
I'll play. Because we danced and he's Babe Ruth. Or, just see above.No, he was replaced for the purpose of bringing the favored son home to roost.  Frankly, I found it a shocking turn of events and thought it quite unfair following a tournament bid. Having the replacement be Mullin softened the blow.No, but if we dance next season then it's a tie. And Lavin did inherit a MUCH stronger team than Mullin did. Stay tuned.What do I look like? We are Nostradamus?

Lavin brought in a new assistant coach that last season. Jim something, and he helped us get to the tournament that year.

I suppose I agree with those who say that firing Mullin now would mean a complete rebuild. He doesn’t have to be fired, but if he’s able to recognize what kind of help he needs, he could fine.

If he thinks nothing is wrong, well that would really suck.

SJUFAN

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2019, 01:23:54 AM »
Have you been paying attention to the last 25 years? We literally lead the country in firing coaches. Besides getting rid of the impossibly incompetent Norm Roberts our recruiting profile has gone down each time. We never get better. Why would his time be any different?

My fear is Mullin is on par with Norm. It isn’t a stretch to believe that. I would be fine with keeping Mullin if he is willing to put a better staff around him. But if he doesn’t then what hurts more...Severing ties now and starting over with promise? Or sinking deeper into basketball irrelevancy like we did under Norm. Next year could get ugly.

Poison

« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2019, 08:26:10 AM »
My fear is Mullin is on par with Norm. It isn’t a stretch to believe that. I would be fine with keeping Mullin if he is willing to put a better staff around him. But if he doesn’t then what hurts more...Severing ties now and starting over with promise? Or sinking deeper into basketball irrelevancy like we did under Norm. Next year could get ugly.

I despised Norm, but there are clear differences. Two straight seasons without losing at home to low level D1 scrub + making the tournament.

We aren’t better than just about all of the teams that danced, but if you look at the body of work, this wasn’t a terrible season. It can’t be if you dance. For a program like ours, and one being compared to the Norm Roberts era, dancing is a clear separator here. Norm never danced, and he never even came close. 

« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2019, 08:44:19 AM »
I despised Norm, but there are clear differences. Two straight seasons without losing at home to low level D1 scrub + making the tournament.

We aren’t better than just about all of the teams that danced, but if you look at the body of work, this wasn’t a terrible season. It can’t be if you dance. For a program like ours, and one being compared to the Norm Roberts era, dancing is a clear separator here. Norm never danced, and he never even came close. 

At points you’re one of the most reasonable posters on the site.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
Next year could get ugly.

You stay posting this faux ominous shit. You’re like a bad HBO show that ends every scene with some melodramatic expository statement. I’d prefer you keep your clothes on in the next scene.

Marillac

« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »

First of all nobody is on par with Norm. Norm was truly awful. He went 6-12 with 11 juniors and Mase Jr. as a 5th year senior in his sixth season. The two years prior he was 6-12 and 5-13. We were never within 5 wins of a tournament appearance with him in six years and he started with Showtime and Hamilton.

Mullin has already made the tournament in his fourth year after starting with nothing. In retrospect not only would he have made the tournament last year if Lovett Sr.’s dad didn’t interfere, but last year was likely a better team.

The 2018-19 team was deeply flawed. Why would next year be worse? Steere and anyone would be much better than what we had. Simon and Heron haven’t gone anywhere yet. Williams is impressive. Mack is impressive on the court. Wright can be a stud. Caraher could really flourish as a reserve. LJ is a stud.

Sure we’ll lose some guys, but this is the most talented grad transfer class ever. Outside of maybe two guys anyone can be replaced by a grad transfer.

« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »
In the spirit of the 6th man, here is what I think should happen next year. The coaching staff needs to learn how to prepare the team for big games. They need to look hard how unprepared the team was losing by 30 to a team which that beat twice and doing everything wrong against Arizona State. At one point we missed 7 consecutive fouls shots. This shows the player's minds were elsewhere. Hurley's team which had only a 67% foul shooting record made 15 out of 18 foul shots and thus was well prepared to win. The staff needs to study whatever Lou Carnessca did to prepare his teams for big games. Mullin played for him and he is still around, so ask him. The other thing to ask Lou is what did he do in time out huddles. Lou almost always changed momentum with his timeouts. Mullin was in those huddles for four years and should use whatever  Carnessca's method were.

Marillac

« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
Let me explain how this time of year works around here. Some negative shi*tbag like Paultzman or Fordham96 will start a rumor based hearsay or a sense they got from a Twitter post and PM their equally obsessed with teenage boy cohorts because being perceived as an insider — even for something as trivial as amateur basketball — gives them a dopamine hit. Those people then message their buddies and so on. Each time the rumor gains strength and is relayed with more confidence.

Some of these guys are truly pathetic. Our fan base is a cesspool.

« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
Let me explain how this time of year works around here. Some negative shi*tbag like Paultzman or Fordham96 will start a rumor based hearsay or a sense they got from a Twitter post and PM their equally obsessed with teenage boy cohorts because being perceived as an insider — even for something as trivial as amateur basketball — gives them a dopamine hit. Those people then message their buddies and so on. Each time the rumor gains strength and is relayed with more confidence.

You have got Paultzman so wrong. Negative shit bag? You’re better than this.

Marillac

« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
You have got Paultzman so wrong. Negative shit bag? You’re better than this.

Look at his last 50 posts. His avatar changes. His tone. His PM crusade. There is no more negative force in our fan base. It’s disgusting. Mullin’s brother does two weeks ago.

« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »

It's a message board for fans.  Most of us are here to traffic in rumors.  You are free to ignore them.  Personally, I appreciate the insight.

« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
Look at his last 50 posts. His avatar changes. His tone. His PM crusade. There is no more negative force in our fan base. It’s disgusting. Mullin’s brother does two weeks ago.

I love you but you’re crazy. Ignore his avatar if you want. His candor and demeanor should be an example for the board. Most St. John’s fans seem to cause more harm than good, he’s not one of them. 

« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »

They stalk social media for any clue and base some of their opinions off those trends. Here and there Paultzman gets thrown a bone from a local scribe or two.  Fordham is a blowbag.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:19:36 PM by Redy2Rumble »

TONYD3

« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »

First of all nobody is on par with Norm. Norm was truly awful. He went 6-12 with 11 juniors and Mase Jr. as a 5th year senior in his sixth season. The two years prior he was 6-12 and 5-13. We were never within 5 wins of a tournament appearance with him in six years and he started with Showtime and Hamilton.

Mullin has already made the tournament in his fourth year after starting with nothing. In retrospect not only would he have made the tournament last year if Lovett Sr.’s dad didn’t interfere, but last year was likely a better team.

The 2018-19 team was deeply flawed. Why would next year be worse? Steere and anyone would be much better than what we had. Simon and Heron haven’t gone anywhere yet. Williams is impressive. Mack is impressive on the court. Wright can be a stud. Caraher could really flourish as a reserve. LJ is a stud.

Sure we’ll lose some guys, but this is the most talented grad transfer class ever. Outside of maybe two guys anyone can be replaced by a grad transfer.
You are so full of shit it’s amazing. Norm wasn’t a good head coach, but he didn’t have a chance. He wasn’t a hall of famer. He worked hard and lost. His record big east record sucked.
This year’s nova team would have come in like 6th place in the old big east. Marquette would barely have been .500.

Imagine incompetent Chris Mullins going on a road trip to Louisville and UCONN? Playing great Georgetown teams or Syracuse teams? Mullin’s lazy ass with talent norm never came close to would be in DEAD last.

Norm tougher conference, worse players same record as mullin.

2018/2019 was a flawed team? I thought we were partying like 1999. What happened? Explain it to the blind fools.

I hope St. Jean doesn’t take that head coaching position this year. Would be tough to lose him and Matt. Atleast part time Mitch will be here. Remember mullin is getting better with age. Still agree with that? Doubt it!

Every off season is the same. Same non sense from same people? Last year Mikey Dixion is a star.

Now it’s the most talented grad transfer list ever? This team needs more transfers? That’s worked well so far!
Sure we will lose some guys- how about most of the team.

You guys keep arguing. Only one solution. And it’s not Babe Ruth.

Next years team will suck no matter who the coach is. Hopefully your hero quits and we can actually start the rebuild. Or he won’t and excuses will continue.

Marillac

« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
I love you but you’re crazy. Ignore his avatar if you want. His candor and demeanor should be an example for the board. Most St. John’s fans seem to cause more harm than good, he’s not one of them. 

I completely disagree. He wants to be Maven. It’s all presentation with him though...changing avatars, sending PMs, “sensing,” teasing rumors.

We have a vicious fan base. Look at what those psychos wrote to our players. A first team all-Big East performer had to post extremely negatively about the fans...that’s unprecedented! His rumors set these maniacs loose on our staff and players to a degree that is unmatched in college sports.

He knows full well how vicious our fans are and he has credibility with them...he needs to worry less about being first and more about sending angry Twitter mobs at our staff, players, and recruits.

Let’s say he gets 2/3’s of his rumors right (no way it’s that high). How does he walk back the negativity the 1/3 of the rumors created? There is no more negative force on our fan base than him...even if the impact is indirect.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:04:35 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
You are so full of shit it’s amazing. Norm wasn’t a good head coach, but he didn’t have a chance. He wasn’t a hall of famer. He worked hard and lost. His record big east record sucked.
This year’s nova team would have come in like 6th place in the old big east. Marquette would barely have been .500.

Imagine incompetent Chris Mullins going on a road trip to Louisville and UCONN? Playing great Georgetown teams or Syracuse teams? Mullin’s lazy ass with talent norm never came close to would be in DEAD last.

FTR Mullin beat Syracuse in back to back years, last year beat Duke and eventual champion Nova in back to back games. To say he can’t win big games against good teams is flat out wrong.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:18:36 PM by survivedc »

wpc77

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
I completely disagree. He wants to be Maven. It’s all presentation with him though...changing avatars, sending PMs, “sensing,” teasing rumors.

We have a vicious fan base. Look at what those psychos wrote to our players. A first team all-Big East performer had to post extremely negatively about the fans...that’s unprecedented! His rumors set these maniacs loose on our staff and players to a degree that is unmatched in college sports.

He knows full well how vicious our fans are and he has credibility with them...he needs to worry less about being first and more about sending angry Twitter mobs at our staff, players, and recruits.

Let’s say he gets 2/3’s of his rumors right (no way it’s that high). How does he walk back the negativity the 1/3 of the rumors created? There is no more negative force on our fan base than him...even if the impact is indirect.

Very well said