Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
Maybe Mullin is stepping away

if that is the case he better do it now rather than later

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »
Dangelo Harrison would be my pick to replace him, too bad he ended his collegiate career at Baylor.

Confident he's back?

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
I still believe the program would have been much better off had they stuck with Barry.
You are not the only one.

Johnny23

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Just another disappointment to this disappointing coaching regime. What makes this he biggest disappointment of all is that these are alumni that are letting the program down.

These were the people that We’re going to stop at nothing to make SJU great again...That’s what the President and SJU fan base thought or were sold on.

Instead this feels like a hobby for our head coach, and a stepping stone for our departing Assistant coach. There’s family, and opportunity reasons/excuses, but at the end of the day it wasn’t  about the program, it was about something else. This staff has been disjointed and unorganized for too long.

Hard to say that Matt A. left this program better than he found it.
It’s hard to argue that Lavin couldn’t do any better in recruiting and coaching. Maybe Mullin can turn it around, and this can be a reboot for him and this program. Is his heart really into this?

Right now this program feels like a sinking ship and if you have the means to escape, you better take it.

Mickey Mouse program trying to play in the big leagues. Never works. And some Disney characters on this board buy their losing act.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »
Hsu is really a terrible person to have associated with your program.. I was at Binghamton when the scandal hit and during the aftermath it was clear Hsu was one of the coaches that was heavily involved.  You can read the Kaye Report put out detailing his involvement and it involved writing a player’s paper and giving some gas money, and this was at the America East level.

This was a post on the binghamton forum from 10 years ago, highlighting the type of person he is to be involved with your program:

“ As best I can tell, here's the Marc Hsu timeline for the last 18 months or so.

2006-07 season -- Head coach at Laurinburg Institute

May/June 2007 -- Speculation on the Charlotte Board that Marc Hsu is pimping Sean Carter around as a package deal. Carter will play for your school if you hire Hsu as an assistant coach

July 2, 2007 -- Carter signs with Oregon State.

July 22, 2007 -- Casey Mitchell -- one of Hsu's players at Laurinburg player has an article written about him attending Chipola JC that mentions Hsu as still being coach at Laurinburg.

July 26, 2007 -- A story posted to the Michigan State bulletin board calls him an assistant coach at Chipola

August 2007 -- Marc Hsu is hired as an assistant coach at Oregon State.

2007-08 season -- Oregon State compiles one of the worst BCS conference basketball records in recent history.

January 2008 -- OSU coach Jay John is fired mid-season.

End of season 2008 -- Sean Carter announces intention to transfer.

End of season 2008 -- Marc Hsu unemployed.

June 2008 -- Fox Sports blog reports Hsu hired at Binghamton. No announcement from school

July 2008 -- "No contact" period for coaches.

August 2008 -- End of "no contact" period.

Binghamton announces that they have hired Marc Hsu.

Yep, you can count me as one proud alum today.”

This is complete bs. He took the Chipola job and then went to Oregon State shortly after. Would you rather be a JUCO assistant or work for a d-1 team?

He’s won everywhere he’s been. Oregon State was the only team that didn’t get better and that is because he was only there for a year.

Was Matt A and Darien Williams a package?

Binghamton made its bed before Hsu ever arrived. Mabin was literally a crackhead.

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »
He's right on Binghamton.  That was all Broadus who after became an assistant at Gtown under JTIII (not sure where he is now).

Comet

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
Gods Gift should be named the next Asst Coach

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2019, 12:09:19 AM »
You
This is complete bs. He took the Chipola job and then went to Oregon State shortly after. Would you rather be a JUCO assistant or work for a d-1 team?

He’s won everywhere he’s been. Oregon State was the only team that didn’t get better and that is because he was only there for a year.

Was Matt A and Darien Williams a package?

Binghamton made its bed before Hsu ever arrived. Mabin was literally a crackhead.

You're really going to defend this guy?  He was still complicit in the scandal and had every opportunity to leave once he saw what he was getting into.  Did you read the report?  Crack dealings aside, they were caught for secondary violations because of Hsu's actions too.  Here are some of his texts to players:

"Former assistant basketball coach Marc Hsu wrote, ‘I will meet [you] @ your class ‘ and just give [you] some guap for gas.’

"Yo the paper [is] due 12 noon… I wrote 2 1/2 pages but I need you to reword the part about the book because I got that from the internet," Alvin wrote to Hsu in a text message, according to the report.

Hsu replied: "Okay so send it to me then."

‘[J]ust add a conclusion on violence. I left the stuff from the Internet the same so you can know what you[‘]r[e] changing,’ wrote Alvin in May 2009 to Hsu."

Dan

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2019, 01:42:48 AM »
Guy seems shady, don't think anyone should want a part of that.  Not sure how anyone could defend that or want a guy like that here.

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2019, 01:45:31 AM »
Hsu is really a terrible person to have associated with your program.. I was at Binghamton when the scandal hit and during the aftermath it was clear Hsu was one of the coaches that was heavily involved.  You can read the Kaye Report put out detailing his involvement and it involved writing a player’s paper and giving some gas money, and this was at the America East level.

This was a post on the binghamton forum from 10 years ago, highlighting the type of person he is to be involved with your program:

“ As best I can tell, here's the Marc Hsu timeline for the last 18 months or so.

2006-07 season -- Head coach at Laurinburg Institute

May/June 2007 -- Speculation on the Charlotte Board that Marc Hsu is pimping Sean Carter around as a package deal. Carter will play for your school if you hire Hsu as an assistant coach

July 2, 2007 -- Carter signs with Oregon State.

July 22, 2007 -- Casey Mitchell -- one of Hsu's players at Laurinburg player has an article written about him attending Chipola JC that mentions Hsu as still being coach at Laurinburg.

July 26, 2007 -- A story posted to the Michigan State bulletin board calls him an assistant coach at Chipola

August 2007 -- Marc Hsu is hired as an assistant coach at Oregon State.

2007-08 season -- Oregon State compiles one of the worst BCS conference basketball records in recent history.

January 2008 -- OSU coach Jay John is fired mid-season.

End of season 2008 -- Sean Carter announces intention to transfer.

End of season 2008 -- Marc Hsu unemployed.

June 2008 -- Fox Sports blog reports Hsu hired at Binghamton. No announcement from school

July 2008 -- "No contact" period for coaches.

August 2008 -- End of "no contact" period.

Binghamton announces that they have hired Marc Hsu.

Yep, you can count me as one proud alum today.”

This is the kind of guy I want. I am ready to win at all costs.

Bruce Pearl has Auburn in the final 4. His past has gone from ratting on coaches to lying to the NCAA and telling his assistants to do so, to hit assistant getting arrested by the FBI and him not refusing to talk to his employers. Now he is in the final 4 and no one gives a shit. Give me 1000 Bruce Pearls, Pitinos, Hsu's. Cheat to win. Just win.

Just. #$%^ing. Win.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:17:09 AM by SeattleJohnny »

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2019, 01:47:15 AM »
Guy seems shady, don't think anyone should want a part of that.  Not sure how anyone could defend that or want a guy like that here.

Personally, I celebrate that.

Win. At. All. Costs.

All the best do it. It's 20 #$%^ing 19. If you're clean, you aren't doing it right.

SJUFAN

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2019, 02:26:13 AM »
Personally, I celebrate that.

Win. At. All. Costs.

All the best do it. It's 20 #$%^ing 19. If you're clean, you aren't doing it right.

As slime ballish as it sounds he makes a good point lol. Let’s not kid ourselves, you think Duke is clean? and they are revered. Although I must say we’re to stupid to cheat. We’ll get caught and be made a lesson of.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:29:42 AM by SJUFAN »

Wods317

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
At the very least you would hope we would hear today or tomorrow about somebody becoming a clear candidate for the spot. We need someone good and we need them ASAP. Also if you notice on Twitter none of the other assistant coaches like GSJ or Huey responsed to or even liked Matt’s tweet which to me is telling.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:48:29 AM by Wods317 »

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »
You
You're really going to defend this guy?  He was still complicit in the scandal and had every opportunity to leave once he saw what he was getting into.  Did you read the report?  Crack dealings aside, they were caught for secondary violations because of Hsu's actions too.  Here are some of his texts to players:

"Former assistant basketball coach Marc Hsu wrote, ‘I will meet [you] @ your class ‘ and just give [you] some guap for gas.’

"Yo the paper [is] due 12 noon… I wrote 2 1/2 pages but I need you to reword the part about the book because I got that from the internet," Alvin wrote to Hsu in a text message, according to the report.

Hsu replied: "Okay so send it to me then."

‘[J]ust add a conclusion on violence. I left the stuff from the Internet the same so you can know what you[‘]r[e] changing,’ wrote Alvin in May 2009 to Hsu."

You have no clue what happens at basketball schools. It’s hysterical. EVERY SINGLE program in the country has to babysit a dozen kids that don’t belong in college. Alex Evans used to literally run around in an anxious mess to make sure players would go to class. Tutors read to the students like children! Tutors are paid to write papers in clean schools and to write papers and f*ck the players in dirty schools.

If such a close investigation took place and Hsu only offered some gas $ and to HELP re-word a paper that makes him one of the cleanest assistant coaches in the country!

I literally changed my career after coaching JUCO to never deal with that babysitting again. The coach that groomed me was also the AD and offered me the head coaching job and I chose to go suffer though law school instead.

And BTW those stupid allegations — on par with what Jay Wright got caught doing — are the only thing keeping him being a hot shot head coach.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:13:05 PM by Marillac »

QuanMan

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
Step off the ledge, WE ARE:

@ChubbyFishInc
 51m51 minutes ago
More
Hearing rumor Hsu, Borman and Pinckney in and Mitch and St Jean out and headed to G League? Can’t confirm but if true, that works #sjubb

@ChubbyFishInc
 10m10 minutes ago
More
Latest: Hearing St Jean 100% back.   Borman on board with HSU.  Pinckney maybe not coming #sjubb Borman, HSU, Mullin and St Jean and we are in great shape. Pinckney would have been solid but Greg hard worker.  That’s all I got.  April 12 coming fast .
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »

@ChubbyFishInc
 51m51 minutes ago
More
Hearing rumor Hsu, Borman and Pinckney in and Mitch and St Jean out and headed to G League? Can’t confirm but if true, that works #sjubb

@ChubbyFishInc
 10m10 minutes ago
More
Latest: Hearing St Jean 100% back.   Borman on board with HSU.  Pinckney maybe not coming #sjubb Borman, HSU, Mullin and St Jean and we are in great shape. Pinckney would have been solid but Greg hard worker.  That’s all I got.  April 12 coming fast .

FWIW - Hsu started following a St John's fan account today. He also started following a Nebraska beat reporter and a Nebraska account ran by the Lincoln Journal.

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »

@ChubbyFishInc
 51m51 minutes ago
More

@ChubbyFishInc
 10m10 minutes ago
More

Really really hope St Jean is back.

sju89tr

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2019, 08:27:10 PM »
Really really hope St Jean is back.

I have no problem with St Jean as third assistant Andy Borman would be OK, Hsu I don't know 

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
Hsu will turn this biotch around single-handedly. You get two coaches in one.

Some of you anti-transfer guys might change your minds with some of the fellas he brings in.