Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

sju89tr

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #260 on: April 30, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
One of these new hires better be able to deliver a player(s) immediately either via graduate transfer or a currently unsigned/committed kid.

If I were Coach Anderson, I would look to hire a younger guy with prior Big East experience and some strong local ties...

I am just assuming Andy Borman has one of the spots and its not coming until after AAU ends...

I am pretty sure that Borman is a done deal. May just be waiting to end of the EYBL circuit. 

« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
I reached out to Jessica Alba when I was a kid and saw her on the show Flipper. Fact.

Neither of us had a chance.

I never said Brey was getting the job you lunatic

Johnny23

« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »
I am pretty sure that Borman is a done deal. May just be waiting to end of the EYBL circuit.

Mike Rice part Deux? I hope you're right but with the way this program handles these hires seeing is believing.

« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »
Mike Rice part Deux? I hope you're right but with the way this program handles these hires seeing is believing.

as far as I know, Borman hasn't been caught being abusive to players...

Johnny23

« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »
as far as I know, Borman hasn't been caught being abusive to players...

And St. John's has a track record of "being in it" for quality coaches who never end up here. Like I said I'll believe it when he shows up.

sju89tr

« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »
I think Rice deserves another chance and to be a head coach and not an assistant. With that said don't slay SJU for not hiring Rice, neither has any other University.

Bobby Knight did far worse and it took over 2 decades for the University of Indiana to come down on him.       
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:53:34 AM by sju89tr »

Marillac

« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
If we can’t get great transfers we are toast. It’s really that simple.

« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
Immediately, like this year?  I think this needs to be a long term view.  Anderson needs to build the program, including assembling the staff, based on whatever the best option is for the next 3-5 years.  I wouldn't hire an assistant or two he isn't comfortable with just to land a kid or two this year.  It's about building something instead of going for the quick fix if there are also sorts of potential problems or issues with that quick fix.  If Anderson composes this staff the right way he'll get players sooner than later.

Your boy Willard was terrible for a bunch of years and has now turned the Hall into a team that's made some tourneys in consecutive years.  The quick fix isn't always the best answer.  And I wouldn't condone here what he did at the Hall with hiring scum like Antigua and Tiny because they are awful, awful lucky there were bigger fish to fry and they didn't end up in serious trouble for the Whitehead stuff.

One of these new hires better be able to deliver a player(s) immediately either via graduate transfer or a currently unsigned/committed kid.

If I were Coach Anderson, I would look to hire a younger guy with prior Big East experience and some strong local ties...

I am just assuming Andy Borman has one of the spots and its not coming until after AAU ends...

« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
It's about building something instead of going for the quick fix.
You know this is a St. John's message board, right? The loyal fans will be calling for his head immediately following the first home loss to Providence.

wpc77

« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »
Likely Staff:

Anderson
Cleveland
Macon or Borman
DoBo: Pressey

Clear upgrade over the last staff, where one assistant would do NOTHING during games other than duck towels flung towards trainers, and the other would occasionally counsel players individually during timeouts (but never in-game for some reason).  Although that's not saying much, I guess.

Foad

« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
St. John's reached out to Brey. Fact. Nothing came out it.

"I can confirm Brey has been contacted and is coming to meet with Cragg next week. I believe Monday."

« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Likely Staff:

Anderson
Cleveland
Macon or Borman
DoBo: Pressey

Clear upgrade over the last staff, where one assistant would do NOTHING during games other than duck towels flung towards trainers, and the other would occasionally counsel players individually during timeouts (but never in-game for some reason).  Although that's not saying much, I guess.

If it’s Borman or Macon then we would still need one more AC.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #273 on: April 30, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »
If it’s Borman or Macon then we would still need one more AC.

Correct sorry.  Meant to include a question mark for the 3rd

Marillac

« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
Correct sorry.  Meant to include a question mark for the 3rd

Borman is a question mark himself on many levels.

« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
Andrew Slater
‏@Andrew__Slater
Multiple sources saying Van Macon (currently St.Louis) was offered and is expected to join the new St.John’s staff as an assistant coach. #SJUBB
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:21:35 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
Andrew Slater
‏@Andrew__Slater
Multiple sources saying Van Macon (currently St.Louis) was offered and is expected to join the new St.John’s staff as an assistant coach. #SJUBB
Is this a good thing?  What type of chops does Van Macon have?

« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

I've heard of him, and know at one point he was an assistant with Hofstra and Rutgers. 

Here's his bio from St. Louis: http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=210905894

This paragraph did catch my attention....  “Bringing on someone with Van’s experience as a coach and his recruiting knowledge is invaluable for our program,” Ford said at the time of Macon's hire. “He has exceptional recruiting ties in the East from New York City to Florida, which includes the A-10 footprint. Coach Macon truly has a tremendous reputation in the basketball world as not only a great recruiter and coach, but as a great person as well. He is a fantastic Xs and Os coach and builds great relationships with his players. Our guys are going to really enjoy being around and working with Coach Macon everyday.”
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:31:19 PM by mjdinkins »

Foad

« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »

Macon came to SLU after the previous six seasons as an assistant coach at Rutgers. Previously, he coached for nine years at Hofstra.

A native of the Queens neighborhood of Corona in New York City, Macon was named one of the “Top 100 Assistant Coaches in the College Game Today” by Hoop Scoop in 2012.

Prior to joining the Rutgers staff in 2010-11, Macon was at Hofstra for nine seasons.

Previously, Macon served assistant coaching stints at Adelphi, Marist, Lafayette and SUNY-Farmingdale.

« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
Van is well connected locally and is a hard worker. We could do worse.