Can Mullin take the next step?

• 103 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Can Mullin take the next step?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
He's lost a lot more in the BE than he's won. It's about the total body of work over 4 seasons which is below average, wayyy below.

Let’s not allow logic to get in the way of delusion

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »
He’s banking on the returning players to show the same growth as Trimble.

Can’t tell if you’re being derisive here, but assuming you are—

Trimble came in a pretty one dimensional player. He showed a commitment to working on his body and bringing max effort on D. If Williams and Roberts shoe the same improvement proportional and relative to who they already are we will have two very capable off the bench sophomores.

Wish people didn’t crap on Trimble so much. Not his fault he was the #1 guy off the bench.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:00:26 PM by survivedc »

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »

Trimble came in a pretty one dimensional player. He showed a commitment to working on his body and bringing max effort on D. If Williams and Roberts shoe the same improvement proportional and relative to who they already are we will have two very capable off the bench sophomores.

Wish people didn’t crap on Trimble so much. Not his fault he was the #1 guy off the bench.
I agree for the most part.
2 questions
Whose fault is it that Trimble is the 1st off the bench?
Are any of the HS guys recruited big east players?

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
Have you seen them play? Are you suggesting their ranking is incorrect?

I've seen them play plenty. What rankings are you alluding to?

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
PG - Cameron Mack (no back up unless Simon and Wright can but definitely biggest need)
SG - Heron (comes back), Simon (comes back), Wright, Trimble, Williams (well stocked as is)
SF - LG Figueroa (no back up unless Caraher is developed or God's Gift delivers Precious) (second biggest need)
PF - Caraher, Manuel, Steere, Roberts, Earlington (well stocked)
C - Kieta (backed up by Roberts)

If this - plus Precious - is what the roster looks like, I'd take it :)

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »
PG - Cameron Mack (no back up unless Simon and Wright can but definitely biggest need)
SG - Heron (comes back), Simon (comes back), Wright, Trimble, Williams (well stocked as is)
SF - LG Figueroa (no back up unless Caraher is developed or God's Gift delivers Precious) (second biggest need)

Achiuwa ain't coming, dude.  Besides, it's still all about the coaching.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:42:52 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »

I think Caraher, and let it be viewed as another shocker, is going to be very good.

I’ve watched a lot of game video. He’s a savvy player. I think he’ll do well here. Eli Wright I have no idea.

I think we’ll see this starting line up

Mack - PG
Caraher - SG
Figueroa - SF
Simon - PF
Steere/Manual - C

Alternatively I’d like to see them use Simon as a 6th man. We’ll be zoned to death with two guys who can’t hit threes in our starting line up.

I’d like to see what the staff has planned for Roberts, Williams and Earlington this summer. They all showed flashes of being BE players, but mostly they showed how raw they were.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:54:31 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Not meaning to crap on Trimble. He buses his tail and it’s appreciated. Unfortunately this is a results oriented business. Thus far, Trimbles improvements read like this:

Last year: .358 fg%, 1.2 rb, .4 ast, 3.1 ppg.

This year: .329 fg%, 1.3 rb, .4 ast, 2.4 ppg.

Maybe it’s not fair to put Trimbles development on the staff cause not every player will improve, but who can we say have shown improvement so far under this staff?

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
I think Caraher, and let it be viewed as another shocker, is going to be very good.

I’ve watched a lot of game video. He’s a savvy player. I think he’ll do well here. Eli Wright I have no idea.

Caraher looks like a smart, good player from video ..

On Wright .. An old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBaFLcT26WM&t=128s
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:53:13 PM by Ez_Uzi »

SJUFAN

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »

Bingo. Our 12 BE victories over the past two seasons isn’t due to the talent level.

SJUFAN

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
I've seen them play plenty. What rankings are you alluding to?

I was referring to the incoming class being ranked at the bottom of the BE.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »

Then follow another team dude ... let us dream

Poison

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Not meaning to crap on Trimble. He buses his tail and it’s appreciated. Unfortunately this is a results oriented business. Thus far, Trimbles improvements read like this:

Maybe it’s not fair to put Trimbles development on the staff cause not every player will improve, but who can we say have shown improvement so far under this staff?

Tariq Owens. Great work.

Johnny23

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »

I think we’ll see this starting line up

Mack - PG
Caraher - SG
Figueroa - SF
Simon - PF
Steere/Manual - C

Alternatively I’d like to see them use Simon as a 6th man. We’ll be zoned to death with two guys who can’t hit threes in our starting line up.

I’d like to see what the staff has planned for Roberts, Williams and Earlington this summer. They all showed flashes of being BE players, but mostly they showed how raw they were.

Or perhaps: (even if Heron does not return)

Mack - PG
Simon/Wright - SG
Figueroa - SF
Caraher - PF
Steere/Manual - C

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »

I specifically noted his body and his defensive effort. He was a total liability on defense his freshman year. The guy is a streaky shooter that certainly wasn’t an offensive focus.

We don’t need Williams or Roberts to become offensive focal points either. We need a long, fast, bouncy big man that can mark opposing bigs for 10-15min per game and another aggressive perimeter defender that is explosive to the rim for 6-8 ppg.
Neither of them are that far off from becoming those guys. Trimble level development will get them there.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
I agree for the most part.
2 questions
Whose fault is it that Trimble is the 1st off the bench?
Are any of the HS guys recruited big east players?

1. The Bogey Man
2. Yes. At least 3 of them.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2019, 04:24:07 PM »

Half of our roster is SFs. Not sure why you think there is no backup. Caraher is a SF as well. He might be able to defend the four due to his size but he’s a SF that can shoot.

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2019, 04:39:04 PM »
Then follow another team dude ... let us dream

F you!

Dream as you please, mindless bigot.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
Half of our roster is SFs. Not sure why you think there is no backup. Caraher is a SF as well. He might be able to defend the four due to his size but he’s a SF that can shoot.

Was using official positions but OK point taken, we are well stocked at both SG and SF positions and at PF/C positions (for next season). Biggest need is a good back up PG ... hopefully from the transfer market.

On a separate note, we will lose on average 30 pts out of 78 pts per game with the loss of Ponds and Clark (assuming Heron et. al. return). I think Mack, Wright and Caraher will largely have to make up those numbers.