Can Mullin take the next step?

• 103 replies
Re: Can Mullin take the next step?
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Your attempt to discredit the writer is very bush league. The fact that he’s a Butler fan means what exactly? I’m sure most journalists are fans of a programs other than SJU. Also how do you even know who he seen and who he hadn’t? You are aware that most “professional” scouting services don’t personally see the kids they are ranking.

Most services don’t rank classes based on transfers. So it would makes sense that we would be last considering we don’t have any HS kids coming in. That doesn’t mean the players coming in are bad.

The article says it doesn’t take transfers into account. Also lists Mack as a top 20 something juco player which is out of date. We have no HS players coming in but it doesn’t mean we have the least talent coming in regarding BE teams. Also by my count, including us, X, gtown, DePaul, and nova are all losing their best player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »
Your attempt to discredit the writer is very bush league. The fact that he’s a Butler fan means what exactly? I’m sure most journalists are fans of a programs other than SJU. Also how do you even know who he seen and who he hadn’t? You are aware that most “professional” scouting services don’t personally see the kids they are ranking.

Most services don’t rank classes based on transfers. So it would makes sense that we would be last considering we don’t have any HS kids coming in. That doesn’t mean the players coming in are bad.

You are the online embodiment of bush league! 
I guess your attempts to discredit a coach who led St. John's to it's fourth best season this century are cool, but how dare someone try to discredit some college kid writing an article. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
You are the online embodiment of bush league! 
I guess your attempts to discredit a coach who led St. John's to it's fourth best season this century are cool, but how dare someone try to discredit some college kid writing an article. 

I haven’t tried to discredit St. Jean, he’s the only coach we have. I don’t agree with his schemes and our 8-10 BE record and 7th place finish is the true measurement of our success this season.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:11:01 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »

Yes I'm 100% sure he hasn't seen these guys play. You want to put up a wager?

He also has Cam Mack ranked #21 in JUCO. Which is inaccurate aswell.

SJUFAN

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Yes I'm 100% sure he hasn't seen these guys play. You want to put up a wager?

He also has Cam Mack ranked #21 in JUCO. Which is inaccurate aswell.

Like I said most of them don’t so that doesn’t reveal much.

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2019, 07:47:24 PM »
I haven’t tried to discredit St. Jean, he’s the only coach we have. I don’t agree with his schemes and our 8-10 BE record and 7th place finish is the true measurement of our success this season.

Wrong again.  The only truly objective measure our the season is the complete season.  That was 21-13 with an NCAA tournament berth.  It was the third tournament we've made in a season that started this century. 

Shrinking the scope of the measurement only serves to fit a narrative, and that is why you want to use the conference record.  Only four Big East teams made the dance, and we were one of them. 

A meaningful conversation is impossible if one side is unwilling to concede to obvious facts that don't fit their position. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
Wrong again.  The only truly objective measure our the season is the complete season.  That was 21-13 with an NCAA tournament berth.  It was the third tournament we've made in a season that started this century. 

Shrinking the scope of the measurement only serves to fit a narrative, and that is why you want to use the conference record.  Only four Big East teams made the dance, and we were one of them. 

A meaningful conversation is impossible if one side is unwilling to concede to obvious facts that don't fit their position. 

Yeah we won 21 games, so what? The BE doesn’t recognize the totality of a teams record in determining conference standings. That’s because they recognize that it’s meaningless. The conference record is what matters and to that we finished in 7th place. Is finishing in 7th place something to be proud of?

I’m not happy with it and it falls squarely on the staff.

Poison

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »

We made the tournament in 03, 11, 15 and 19. That’s 4.

Johnny23

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
The article says it doesn’t take transfers into account. Also lists Mack as a top 20 something juco player which is out of date. We have no HS players coming in but it doesn’t mean we have the least talent coming in regarding BE teams. Also by my count, including us, X, gtown, DePaul, and nova are all losing their best player.

That's where the comparison ends. X and G'town have proven All Big East and POY level caliber underclassmen. Marshall for X. Akinjo, LeBlanc and McClung for G'town. Nova with Bey, Samuels, Swider in addition to a big-time recruiting class.

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
That's where the comparison ends. X and G'town have proven All Big East and POY level caliber underclassmen. Marshall for X. Akinjo, LeBlanc and McClung for G'town. Nova with Bey, Samuels, Swider in addition to a big-time recruiting class.

Not a player you just mentioned would I take over LJ.

Johnny23

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
Not a player you just mentioned would I take over LJ.

To each his own but most of those guys I mentioned are better than LJ and all those teams have much better supporting casts.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
We made the tournament in 03, 11, 15 and 19. That’s 4.

We won the NIT in 03. We made the NCAA in 02 and forfeited it. We were also 20-12 overall and 7-11 in conference.

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2019, 11:25:49 PM »
He's lost a lot more in the BE than he's won. It's about the total body of work over 4 seasons which is below average, wayyy below.

You wrote, "Most other teams in the BE RUN circles around SJU".  The verb RUN is present tense.

I guess you made a mistake and meant to write 'Most other teams in the BE RAN circles around SJU'. Surely, you can understand my confusion.

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Let’s not allow logic to get in the way of delusion

I'm a very rational man and suffer not from delusions.

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »
I'm a very rational man and suffer not from delusions.

What do you suffer from?

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2019, 05:37:37 AM »
To each his own but most of those guys I mentioned are better than LJ and all those teams have much better supporting casts.

How are all those players better than LJ. 14 6 and shot 50%. Marshall was 14 and 7 and shot 39%. I like all those guys you mentioned, LJ has a better season then all of them and plays both sides of the ball.

Johnny23

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
You wrote, "Most other teams in the BE RUN circles around SJU".  The verb RUN is present tense.

I guess you made a mistake and meant to write 'Most other teams in the BE RAN circles around SJU'. Surely, you can understand my confusion.

Stick to homerism, Wordsworth.

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
What do you suffer from?
Too much to go into in this forum.

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
Stick to homerism, Wordsworth.
I live in the greater metropolitan area and post on a board dedicated to the adoration and chronicling of the St. John's University basketball team.

Of course I'm a "Homer" as I loyally support my favorite team in it's most appropriate venue. You write "Homerism" like it's a curse and something to be ashamed of but in fact it's an honor and something to be proud of. 

The Pukon, Syracuse and Seton Hall fan boards are right up the block.  Perhaps you got redirected here by accident.

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2019, 09:19:20 AM »
21-13 was not a successful record with the schedule we had. The facts are this- with that schedule we easily should have been 24-25 win team and perhaps an 8 seed in the tournament.

The BE was very weak this year and it was a good opportunity for us to make a statement and even win a couple in conference tournament. That would have done wonders for us recruiting wise in the conference. This season was a gift and we let it go to coal. Not to mention that end of season disaster which should have been easy wins will turn alot of people off. All on coaching for not preparing a team to finish a season. This carried over into tournament where we embarrassed ourselves with a bad ASU team that did not come to play.  Could you really blame recruits for not wanting to be a part of it?

We will be 500 at best next season unless Heron reverts back to Auburn Heron and Steere becomes a stud.