Can Mullin take the next step?

• 103 replies
Re: Can Mullin take the next step?
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »
21-13 was not a successful record with the schedule we had.
Any record which qualifies St. John's for the Ncaa tournament is a successful record.

Marillac

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
Yeah we won 21 games, so what? The BE doesn’t recognize the totality of a teams record in determining conference standings. That’s because they recognize that it’s meaningless. The conference record is what matters and to that we finished in 7th place. Is finishing in 7th place something to be proud of?

I’m not happy with it and it falls squarely on the staff.

If only there was some kind of a committee that would evaluate the season and consider the totality of the circumstances. Maybe that committee could even pick the top 68 teams to be in a tournament.

Perhaps one day, SJUFAN. Perhaps one day.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:59:48 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »
Any record which qualifies St. John's for the Ncaa tournament is a successful record.

Have to look at the big picture- just the "tournament" cannot be the end all be all for the measurement of success and development of this program. Different story if we put away teams we needed to and made it as 8 seed- maybe lost first round to tough team but still season could have been deemed a success moved in right direction. May be have some better HS recruits coming to us, maybe Precious comes with hope for future but not now. We will just have to hope these transfers are decent and Heron breaks out.

The awful BE play with the exception of Nova, Marquette and SHU is very revealing and I think is even more important. It was not just one upset, but several and the lack of consistency should be red flags from the coaching staff.

Because we do not have good momentum going into this coming season (unless we hire good assistant, nab some decent HS talent with future commits) do not be surprised if we are two steps back after next year with cupboard bear. That is the big picture.......

« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2019, 02:40:30 AM »
Have to look at the big picture- just the "tournament" cannot be the end all be all for the measurement of success and development of this program. Different story if we put away teams we needed to and made it as 8 seed- maybe lost first round to tough team but still season could have been deemed a success moved in right direction. May be have some better HS recruits coming to us, maybe Precious comes with hope for future but not now. We will just have to hope these transfers are decent and Heron breaks out.

The awful BE play with the exception of Nova, Marquette and SHU is very revealing and I think is even more important. It was not just one upset, but several and the lack of consistency should be red flags from the coaching staff.

Because we do not have good momentum going into this coming season (unless we hire good assistant, nab some decent HS talent with future commits) do not be surprised if we are two steps back after next year with cupboard bear. That is the big picture.......
I don't follow recruiting at all and the coaching grapevine even less than that. So I'm ill equipped to comment at all on who is, isn't or might be coming.  My educated opinion on everything Johnny is based solely on who is here.

I don't think you or anyone can gauge momentum (whatever that means ), what's in a cupboard or what directions our steps will be.

The tone of this would sound about right if it came from a Kentucky or Kansas fan.